I'm tempted to restart the competitions, discuss

Caporegime
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18492959&highlight=Competition
Makes sense, I did intend to get something in for this month but just ran out of time.

sad thing is that although I was aware of the comp, I always seemed to miss the threads. I found this months one at 23:30 on the 28th, giving me 30 mins to get an entry in and the idea I had instantly pop to mind was 40 mins away

I for one wanted to compete but was failing to keep up with the schedule.

Personally I never get around to entering as I always find myself busy and only seem to do much with photography in bursts (no pun intended!) so miss most.

I feel guilty for not getting my act together and entering more often.

However generic 'Circles' may have been though, I couldn't think of anything to enter!

It would be nice to see this come around every summer or so.

Man of Honour
I know this maybe going off topic,my apologies but do you think there was/is any reason for this? I'm asking in case there is anything we can do to attract more of an audience and attract more interest to the forum/competitions.

Soldato
Photography is about capturing light. If you don't understand how missing all hours of daylight stuck in an office affects photography then perhaps you shouldn't be entering competitions but learning the fundamentals! If you think leveraging natural light is limited to landscape photography you have a lot to learn.

I'm fully aware of the fundamentals thank you.

Photography is about how you use the available light and how you apply your tools against it. I've just never let the sun dictate whether I can do photography or not, maybe you are different?

Caporegime
The post your pictures here thread I personally would like to see binned to encourage more specific threads to generate more C&C

This was discussed before and I agree, get rid of the generic threads to force rope to post specific threads where they can receive direct feedback.

Caporegime
I'm fully aware of the fundamentals thank you.

Photography is about how you use the available light and how you apply your tools against it. I've just never let the sun dictate whether I can do photography or not, maybe you are different?

You can get A photo by exploiting the available light but that is not how you take great photos!

Like every professional nature photographer the sun normally does indeed dictate whether any productive photo sessions are possible for a particular scene. To think otherwise is extremely naive.

To reiterate, yes if conditions for some things are poor you can always look for other possibilities and a good photographer can maximize the outcome for the given situation- but that doesn't make great works of art remembered for generations to come. Lighting is at the core of photography, and you can't control that outside, you can only plan and persevere.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can get A photo by exploiting the available light but that is not how you take great photos!

Like every professional nature photographer the sun normally does indeed dictate whether any productive photo sessions are possible for a particular scene. To think otherwise is extremely naive.

Who mentioned nature photography, I certainly didn't and are you trying to say you can't take 'great photos' at night?

Soldato
Hope it's a white padded one... So where did this thread end up before derailed? What's the plans so far? :L

We are having a comp once a month, once a quarter and bi-annually. We scoring via points and a poll vote.

Anyone can come and vote but we limiting it to certain people and there are themes for each comp but you can enter any shot you like.

I think that about covers it? :D:p

Soldato
I know this maybe going off topic,my apologies but do you think there was/is any reason for this? I'm asking in case there is anything we can do to attract more of an audience and attract more interest to the forum/competitions.

To name a few

Phate
Raymond Lin
MRK
42XX
King4aDay

The competition is too good..;)

Last edited:
Soldato
We are having a comp once a month, once a quarter and bi-annually. We scoring via points and a poll vote.

Anyone can come and vote but we limiting it to certain people and there are themes for each comp but you can enter any shot you like.

I think that about covers it? :D:p

Correct.

Also the photo forum will have two sub forums; one where every image must have it's own thread and one where there is only one thread containing all images.

Associate
I think instead of having specific themes like circles, it'd be much better to have themes like, buildings, people, nature, water.

It would be something generic that most people have access to, then the discussion thread would be helpful to people to learn about techniques for capturing each subject rather then how artistic you are at perceiving a circle.

Would also be good to have an annual, best of year, competition that people vote on through December.

Back
Top Bottom