Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Soldato
1st kit i've done in years tbh

Full colour, clear instruction booklet.
All pieces good quality, no rough edges or mis-shapes.
No missing pieces

Couldn't find a fault with it.

was it from Aliexpress? If so would you mind telling me which shop ?

really tempted to drop £90 on the Super Star Destroyer :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Some light reading material.

ea974825-4975-4c65-899c-cb7940a2cd8a_zpsuq3wxcwh.jpg

Soldato
But there hasn't been a need in the past.

Fiio and the like have been doing them for years, I used one with my 4s and old ipad both with 30pin.

Apple's official Lightning -> 3.5mm adaptor contains a DAC and costs £9. I'm sure others can do it better/cheaper.

A dac that small and cheap is going to be nasty. Apple can do it as they make the connection and don't have to pay for licencing. Apple charge 3rd parties $4 PER lightening connector manufactured in licencing fees.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Fiio and the like have been doing them for years, I used one with my 4s and old ipad both with 30pin.

A dac that small and cheap is going to be nasty. Apple can do it as they make the connection and don't have to pay for licencing. Apple charge 3rd parties $4 PER lightening connector manufactured in licencing fees.

No it won't.

This is 2016, there are plenty of cheap DACs out there that do a perfect job of producing clear highs and lows for decent quality earphones to work with

Soldato
No it won't.

This is 2016, there are plenty of cheap DACs out there that do a perfect job of producing clear highs and lows for decent quality earphones to work with

Don't get me wrong there are some good budget dacs, I have a SMSL SD793-II that was about £35-40 and I think it's excellent.

But it's much much bigger and powered.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ultimately wireless is the way to go. Since I started using the Bienna QY8 full time on my work commutes and sold the Sennheiser IE80, I've been thoroughly enjoying the convenience they offer without sacrificing audio quality. I got them for free, but they retail at under £30. Bluetooth earphones have come a very long way, and prove that cheap isn't always bad any more.

I don't know how much this applies to iPhones though,since no Apple device supports aptX over Bluetooth, so perhaps wired is better for them :/

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Bluetooth is still horribly compressed as far as I know.

Standard SBC bluetooth is, yeah, but aptX is designed to work around that issue with lossless compression (think of it like FLAC). Both earphones and device must support it in order to benefit, otherwise it goes to SBC fallback.

That's not to say there aren't poor quality speakers and earphones that support it of course, just like anything regardless of price, there are crap products as well as good :p

Soldato
Standard SBC bluetooth is, yeah, but aptX is designed to work around that issue with lossless compression (think of it like FLAC). Both earphones and device must support it in order to benefit, otherwise it goes to SBC fallback.

That's not to say there aren't poor quality speakers and earphones that support it of course, just like anything regardless of price, there are crap products as well as good :p

Good to hear that things are improving. :)

But cables definitely aren't dead while there are people who care about sound quality with good sets of existing headphones. Personally I want to use my good headphones on the commute, get to the office /home and use the same headphones on my DAC or amp . I don't want to chop and change because one device is cabled and another isn't.

Just stick to an industry standard that "just works" as Apple would say. But the sceptic in me thinks they want to sell new wireless Beats to the uneducated (on sound quality) masses.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Personally I find any Beats (tried a bunch) headphone/earphone to be full of bass and lacking in clarity or mid frequency detail. I suppose I don't know what I was expecting given that they're endorsed by the kings of rap :p

Soldato
A Palit 1060. Which a certain retailer, not OCUK, had left on my front door step on Friday evening. I've just got home, expecting it to be with a neighbour, but no, it's been sat there all weekend, not even in a brown cardboard box either.

Soldato
Ultimately wireless is the way to go. Since I started using the Bienna QY8 full time on my work commutes and sold the Sennheiser IE80, I've been thoroughly enjoying the convenience they offer without sacrificing audio quality. I got them for free, but they retail at under £30. Bluetooth earphones have come a very long way, and prove that cheap isn't always bad any more.

I don't know how much this applies to iPhones though,since no Apple device supports aptX over Bluetooth, so perhaps wired is better for them :/

Depending on the commute I'd appreciate a pair that can isolate like SE215s can, for example.

After being in the London tube once, I'm never going down there again without some kind of earplugs. :p

Back
Top Bottom