Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Soldato
Some more books to add to my maritime history library.

32014089272_0a81423d30_c.jpg

A coincidence you posting naval books - I've just had my first Royal Navy sword come in which has turned out to belong to a Commander Riall from his time as a midshipman. I've tracked down his naval service history and he served in the mid-1800s at that time when steam and screws were overtaking sail, and many ships were being converted. His ships include HMSs Shearwater, Royal George, Impregnable, Trafalgar, and Excellent. I need to look into each and see what he did during his time on them. He retired in 1870.

Here's the sword after I've cleaned it up:
vJ6tQ6vl.jpg
9jpRabwl.jpg
It's the 1846 Pattern and is interesting as it's much smaller than the normal sword, made for the young midshipman's size. Quite rare, too.

Soldato
It folds down to prevent the hilt fraying the officer's tunic. The Army deemed it a weak point in the guard and removed the hinge but I think the Navy kept it on much later. To illustrate, here is a before-cleaning-and-after shot, which also shows the guard up and down.

fwCkkjjl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
And to think over 100 years ago, whenever alone, an esteemed officer of the Royal Navy definitely had shadow fights in his room while pretending to be a pirate with that sword.

And now you do too.

Man of Honour
His ships include HMSs Shearwater, Royal George, Impregnable, Trafalgar, and Excellent. I need to look into each and see what he did during his time on them. He retired in 1870.

Here's the sword...

I can look into those ships, I am fairly sure I will have date on them somewhere in my collection, it is fairly all encompassing from 1800 forward.

Soldato
Got 2 front speakers for my new amp / 5.1 speaker system (I say new... All the other speakers were old/free and amp was free off my dad! Sounds great tho)

wXxfYjlh.jpg

Need to get a new TV unit and wall mounted TV... But until I can afford new TV I won't bother... It will be a later in the year job :p

Does anyone know if putting the speakers on spikes + floor protectors will be any better than the current stands?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a fan of curtains then? :p

You should actually hang them it'll improve the acoustics of the room.

Yeah I need to buy them too.... That pole is 3.6m long however and decent thermal curtains are expensive! It's a dual aspect room and got 2 windows on the other side which I'd like to match (more pics in home and garden if interested).

If anyone has any tips for curtains? Bought some ones for my spare room from argos (inb4 chav) :p

Man of Honour
Took delivery of this today but I did spend 3 hours helping to put it together.
My best mate was horrified I was going to cut into my prized 1978 American Fender Stratocaster to fit a MIDI pickup so he decided to collect a few parts he had hanging about and make me a new one :)
Those with eagle eyes will notice the MIDI pickup between the humbucker & bridge with two lower buttons that change presets on my guitar synth.
It still works as a normal guitar.

fendermidi2.jpg

Soldato
Great look that, don't normally like sunburst but with a black pickguard and maple fretboard that is v.nice. How exactly does a MIDI pickup work? I know how regular pickups work but don't know anything about MIDI at all.

Man of Honour
Great look that, don't normally like sunburst but with a black pickguard and maple fretboard that is v.nice. How exactly does a MIDI pickup work? I know how regular pickups work but don't know anything about MIDI at all.

This was an original thread to the Guitar Synth - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28789212&postcount=1546

In this link is a video showing what it is capable of - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28752123&postcount=10434

I basically use it for guitar sounds, I can emulate just about any guitar sound out there. In some songs I may be playing acoustic with a bit of hammond organ or strings playing along which fills out the sound on stage

Man of Honour
5OQtn1G.jpg

Technically this was a Christmas gift from my mum rather than something I bought myself. But it's not quite what it seems. It's not just a picture. It's actually a record cover mounted in a frame. The record is inside it too.

It has a lot of special meaning for me. It was a record (well actually an audio story) that I used to love playing as a child. It got me interested in science fiction which led to me being interested in science and technology. That led to my love of computers which resulted in a career in the industry, which was directly responsible for meeting my wife and now of course my children.

It is the actual record my parents had as a child and it has been mounted carefully to prevent damage to it. It can be removed easily from the back. I casually mentioned to my mum that I would like to mount it in a frame to go in the office room when it's finished and she got it mounted as a surprise for me.

No one would have believed that
in the last years of the 19th century
that human affairs were being watched
from the timeless worlds of space
No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized
as someone with a microscope studies creatures
that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
Few man even considered the possibility of life on other planets
and yet, across the gulf of space
minds immeasurably superior to ours
regarded this Earth with envious eyes,
and slowly and surely
they drew their plans against us.

Back
Top Bottom