Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Associate
20170126_184251_zpse2zqcaas.jpg

My Eaglemoss big TOS Enterprise came in the post today. Bigger than I expected. I felt like a little kid at Christmas opening the box, seeing as none of the family care about my own little gift to myself, I had to post it somewhere.

Soldato
I miss the days of buying blank DVDs by the 100s and having 2 dvd burners going at once for "backup" purposes. I have one in my PC currently, but its not been used since installing windows. There just no need for them now with big hhds :(.

Soldato
I have a DVD drive in my system, but only because my non-tech savvy parents kept on asking me to burn the photos from their camera's card to a disc so they could take it and show family and friends. And yes, I have tried explaining to them that sticking them on a USB drive would be far easier and would be able to hold way more images than a disc.

Their new TV has USB sockets so I bought my Mother a 32GB flash drive on the off-chance that she would see sense and start using it - but no, it now lives in a trinket box and she still insists on discs and using the blu-ray player to display the photos on the TV.

Commissario
They're physically limited in speed. If they cross a certain threshold there's a risk discs start going pop

As was starting to happen with CD's.

From memory CD drives were hitting something like 52x read speeds at the edge before they died out.
At that speed they were from memory, close to the same RPM as some angle grinders and it was not unknown for discs to fall apart during use.

One of the advantages DVD's then BD's gave was not only higher data density, but higher data read rates at lower speeds, meaning a lot less stress on the drive mechanisms and far less chance of a disc going pop.

Soldato
As was starting to happen with CD's.

From memory CD drives were hitting something like 52x read speeds at the edge before they died out.
At that speed they were from memory, close to the same RPM as some angle grinders and it was not unknown for discs to fall apart during use.

One of the advantages DVD's then BD's gave was not only higher data density, but higher data read rates at lower speeds, meaning a lot less stress on the drive mechanisms and far less chance of a disc going pop.

IIRC, Kenwood used to make a CD drive with a laser splitter, so rather than spinning the drive faster, they could read multiple places on the disc at once.

The problem was you couldn't split more than about 7 beams and still be a class 3 laser, and to go to class 2 and get more power, you needed a licence.

In the end, things have gone solid state with USB sticks and SSD because of the hassle of dealing with the physics of moving parts. Hard drives will probably go the same way when SSDs get bigger/cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom