Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got some cheap tyres from the Netherlands. Figure if I'm careful (since it's my middle name), nothing can go wrong.

rps20171208_233416_257.jpg

Caporegime
But... 2l
Have you driven a car with Mercedes new 2L 4 pot? It's really all that most people need. The new e class is much lighter than the previous, and there's the small factor that the 6 cylinder vehicles are something like 8 grand more expensive than the equivalent 4s.

Most people still scoff at 4 cylinders in a luxury exec but that's a bit of an old fashioned view really.

Soldato
They’d werent when I went to test drive for potentially buying a GLE........No part ex, cash purchase, what’s the best price you can do? The answer “I’m wasting my time, we are selling them without having to knock anything off. Price is take it or leave it, if you are not going to pay full price today then best go bu6 another manufacturers car”. I walked out.

I hate dealerships like that. If that's pretty much verbatim, then deffo fire off an email to Mercedes UK. Don't mess around as often dealerships receive or lose bonuses based on customer feedback.

They may have been limited on dealer incentives for cash only purchases though but shouldn't explain it like that. The GLE doesn't look to be attracting massive discounts yet though.

There are also better deals via carwow or brokers and taking PCP / HP where Mercedes UK offer £££s in contributions even if you then settle after taking it out.

But... 2l

In the next few years it will all be 0L or e with 0.5L range extenders anyway :D

As 2.0L diesel engines go, it's a nice one but yes it's a compromise. Most of my driving is commuting or business related and sitting in traffic.

The 350d even with hefty discounts came out significantly more expensive, although you do get more kit as standard. The residuals were only a bit more than the 220d too so the actual cost was disproportionately higher. The 350d is a great engine though.

They're about to replace the relatively old and agricultural V6 350d engine with a new straight 6, so I'm not sure now is the best time to buy one anyway.

At least that's what I've been telling myself. I've got an E220d SE estate on the way in March. The engine felt really refined for a 2.0. 190bhp with great mpg...that's all I need for my usage.

I've gone for loads of toys like premium plus, HUD, drive pilot, heated windscreen, 360 camera, wooden trim, etc. Ordered back in September! Carwow had some great discounts and combined with the diesel changeover bonus for my S80, it was a ridiculously low PCP payment for a car as good as this.

Very nice spec :) and the 220d is still a good performer. I would say it is the best of the 2.0d sub 200bhp engines against the XF, 5 Series, A6 etc.

The E Class is not really the sort of car you buy for hooning around in anyway and there are better options for that in normal UK conditions. Even the 350d is about refined power compared to say a BMW 530d/540i which is much more focused on the road and enjoyable on the B roads.

Soldato
I have waited a year for this : Omega Planet Ocean 600m : Titanium case & dial, liquid metal numbers on a ceramic bezel and a rubber strap [43.5mm]

38930400471_f9c2a79d12_c.jpg

Soldato
They’d werent when I went to test drive for potentially buying a GLE. He kept me waiting even though I was booked in for a test drive as the demo car was blocked in with two others. Drove it and loved it. Then came down to business. No part ex, cash purchase, what’s the best price you can do? The answer “I’m wasting my time, we are selling them without having to knock anything off. Price is take it or leave it, if you are not going to pay full price today then best go bu6 another manufacturers car”. I walked out.

Sounds like the salesman didn't explain the position in a particularly customer focused manner but it's hardly like he did anything particularly bad or unfair. It amazes me when customers think they can get a better deal with cash especially on new cars, franchised dealers are not cash poor. Margins and price are set by the manufacturer, there's a bit of wiggle room but an awful lot less than customers think - for example a new Clio has around £500 profit in the metal. I regularly sold vehicles at list for cash. Should have taken the finance contribution and settled early! Even weirder why you think you should get a better price because you've not got a PX.
Thankfully I'm away from selling to the public now though.

Caporegime
Sounds like the salesman didn't explain the position in a particularly customer focused manner but it's hardly like he did anything particularly bad or unfair. It amazes me when customers think they can get a better deal with cash especially on new cars, franchised dealers are not cash poor. Margins and price are set by the manufacturer, there's a bit of wiggle room but an awful lot less than customers think - for example a new Clio has around £500 profit in the metal. I regularly sold vehicles at list for cash. Should have taken the finance contribution and settled early! Even weirder why you think you should get a better price because you've not got a PX.

It was more so the absolute conviction that there was basically nothing to be negotiated, not even £50 off or some extras thown in. It was basically "that's it, take it of leave it, I've wasted enough of my day on you" attitude which I find unacceptable.

As it was I went to another dealer and negotiated several thousand off the price of the car with £10k of extras on it which is what I expected to be able to do. Even more sad was that dealer was in Kent and the one I went to first was my local dealer and the one from Kent had to ship it.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Customer focused manner...You are putting it nicely.

If that was verbatim then he is plain rude, with terrible manners, that’s what I call it, sure it’s not illegal or unfair but it bring the company and the brand in awful light and PR.

Customer focused ...

Caporegime
Customer focused manner...You are putting it nicely.

If that was verbatim then he is plain rude, with terrible manners, that’s what I call it, sure it’s not illegal or unfair but it bring the company and the brand in awful light and PR.

Customer focused ...

This he was rude and basically there was no customer focused. Apart from the lovely ground coffee and biscuits I got on arrival but he really seemed to have his head up his **** with a holier than thou attitude.

Soldato
The whole thing seems even more ridiculous given that he just didn't make a sale, and that someone else got his commission. Very stupid being rude to paying customers.

Whether you should expect a discount or not is a different matter.

Soldato
This he was rude and basically there was no customer focused. Apart from the lovely ground coffee and biscuits I got on arrival but he really seemed to have his head up his **** with a holier than thou attitude.

Send a complaint to HQ or post on their facebook / twitter feed.

People like that need a slap back to reality, Mercedes is hardly an exclusive brand and he sounds like a pompous arse. :p

Caporegime
He was. Perhaps it din't help that I criticized a few things about the car when test driving it or the fact that I look scruffy 99% of the time although myself and my partner fall into the top 5% earners in the UK and jointly we make the top 3%. Shrugs. I should have done at the time but it was 18 months ago now and i'm not a complainer type, I just move on and think "their loss".

Soldato
He was. Perhaps it din't help that I criticized a few things about the car when test driving it or the fact that I look scruffy 99% of the time although myself and my partner fall into the top 5% earners in the UK and jointly we make the top 3%. Shrugs. I should have done at the time but it was 18 months ago now and i'm not a complainer type, I just move on and think "their loss".
Sounds like a clash of ego’s then :p

Back
Top Bottom