Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Associate
I think he meant lens flare?

No I meant bokeh. You tend to get some very nice patterns/circular effects on certain lenses on close shots.

See a few of my old shots that have it. These are both cropped to show it better, straight off the camera with no editing.

XveJ2Vq.jpg

IqmgEHm.jpg

The effect in your shot looked like a linear blur filter in Photoshop or something. Maybe it's just a characteristic of the lens/elements it features?

Caporegime
No I meant bokeh. You tend to get some very nice patterns/circular effects on certain lenses on close shots.

See a few of my old shots that have it. These are both cropped to show it better, straight off the camera with no editing.

XveJ2Vq.jpg

IqmgEHm.jpg

The effect in your shot looked like a linear blur filter in Photoshop or something. Maybe it's just a characteristic of the lens/elements it features?

The bokeh balls you are referring to requires an object or shape to be in the background in order to get that, mostly a light, or peak of light through a tree as you have illustrated. The reason is none in that photo because in the distance it was just a wall.

gwMvkOt.jpg

0FFv5Cp.jpg

P.s. generally, the better the lens, the smoother the bokeh, the cheaper the lens, the bokeh will look more "busy".

Caporegime
Interesting, thanks for clearing that up.

There is a whole school of thoughts on how people rate bokeh. Generally speaking the smoother the better, and also the bokeh balls should not have the onion effect (distracting), you can see a bit of that in your first photo in the bokeh balls, you can see there are none in both of mine. This is just a characteristic of the lens, and even some expensive lenses have this effect. There is even a lens (Canon 85/1.2L) when wide open, one edge gets cut off because of the rear element is flushed to the back and the contact protrudes into a part of the barrel and blocking the glass.

FhCczrj.jpg

A lot of this will go by most people, it's not something one would pay attention to but it is the small details that your subconscious picks up on and bit by bit, little by little it all adds together to make a better photo I think.

Associate
There is a whole school of thoughts on how people rate bokeh. Generally speaking the smoother the better, and also the bokeh balls should not have the onion effect (distracting), you can see a bit of that in your first photo in the bokeh balls, you can see there are none in both of mine. This is just a characteristic of the lens, and even some expensive lenses have this effect.

I must be in the minority but I actually quite like the effect it has, I always thought it was the other way around, the better the lens the more 'detail' you got in the bokeh.

From memory I took the flower shot on a Canon EF 70-200mm L series, so certainly not a cheap lens.

Caporegime
I must be in the minority but I actually quite like the effect it has, I always thought it was the other way around, the better the lens the more 'detail' you got in the bokeh.

From memory I took the flower shot on a Canon EF 70-200mm L series, so certainly not a cheap lens.

I believe even the Canon 50/1.0 has onion effect. You can also see a bit of that in the 85/1.2 on the bokeh balls on the edge (top left), a £2k lens.

Caporegime
Last minute flights for next week

NNXmjTY.jpg

Due to some weird pricing thing, flying business was 70eur cheaper than economy on the outbound flight, so business it is :D - fast track, lounge access etc. Excellent :D

Back
Top Bottom