Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Caporegime
I'm sure some of you have missed it, so here's the wall and my latest purchase, a Hammerhead Karoo 3 cycle computer (Android based)

r3LNBAA.jpeg

I decided to just use my phone.
Out of interest what makes a cycle computer better than a phone?

Soldato
I decided to just use my phone.
Out of interest what makes a cycle computer better than a phone?

Can't answer for Andy, but battery life is a big factor. My phone dies pretty quick, whereas my Garmin Edge lasts >10hrs so suitable for long rides, especially when the screen is constantly on. I'm also not aware of any decent apps for displaying maps/data metrics for the phone (although i'm sure they exist)

Then you've got the factor of the screen and my Garmin is always readable in full sun/with polarised sunglasses which my phone isn't.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pool Robut turned up. Bigger than i expected. This one does the floor/walls/waterline, have another on the way which sits on the surface doing the skimming. Technology seems to be a few years behind vacuum robots. So it's moving forward quickly, although due to a pricing error this was a bargain.

0w56WED.jpeg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can't answer for Andy, but battery life is a big factor. My phone dies pretty quick, whereas my Garmin Edge lasts >10hrs so suitable for long rides, especially when the screen is constantly on. I'm also not aware of any decent apps for displaying maps/data metrics for the phone (although i'm sure they exist)

Then you've got the factor of the screen and my Garmin is always readable in full sun/with polarised sunglasses which my phone isn't.

Ah yeah I take a small power bank for my phone. I generally like my phone as I have it anyway. And it's got a huge screen.

I use komoot app for my offline/off road maps.

I looked at cycle computer. But it was just too expensive when I have a phone.

Soldato
Ah yeah I take a small power bank for my phone. I generally like my phone as I have it anyway. And it's got a huge screen.

I use komoot app for my offline/off road maps.

I looked at cycle computer. But it was just too expensive when I have a phone.

Yeah, i can see the appeal of a phone, but for my it's handy to just have various sensors (power/gears/HR) synced to my Garmin, and it's just always ready to go, rather than worrying about phone dying etc. Then the phone stays in my pocket.

Caporegime
Yeah, i can see the appeal of a phone, but for my it's handy to just have various sensors (power/gears/HR) synced to my Garmin, and it's just always ready to go, rather than worrying about phone dying etc. Then the phone stays in my pocket.

Yeah I use mine for a map. That's all I need. Otherwise I can get (and have got) very lost!.

Soldato

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pool Robut turned up. Bigger than i expected. This one does the floor/walls/waterline, have another on the way which sits on the surface doing the skimming. Technology seems to be a few years behind vacuum robots. So it's moving forward quickly, although due to a pricing error this was a bargain.

I too like to keep abreast of the latest pool cleaning technology for my pool that I definitely have.

**cries in poor and English**

Soldato
Yeah I use mine for a map. That's all I need. Otherwise I can get (and have got) very lost!.
Yeah, as said, the battery is a big factor, most rides are at least 4 hours, up to maybe 8 or 9 (Veloviewer tells me three times I've been out for over 10 hours) I think GPS navigating and streaming podcasts/audiobooks for 10 hours would kill most phones. I would also be worried about something killing the app and losing the ride...

Add to that, I don't know I would trust a lot of the phone mounts I've seen. In the mount and the options given on the device, I would rather have something designed specifically for the task I guess.

Soldato
As some will know, I was cycling in the Alps last week and this year it lined up perfectly with the LeCol climb challenge, so I was curious if I would complete it in the one week. On the last day in the Alps, we climbed out of Morzine and after 5 mins I realised I hadn't started the ride :mad:

When I got home, I checked how much climbing I'd missed by creating a route for the missed 5 mins. Turns out it was 82m. Then, over to the LeCol challenge to see if I've completed it... guess what... 81m short :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
As some will know, I was cycling in the Alps last week and this year it lined up perfectly with the LeCol climb challenge, so I was curious if I would complete it in the one week. On the last day in the Alps, we climbed out of Morzine and after 5 mins I realised I hadn't started the ride :mad:

When I got home, I checked how much climbing I'd missed by creating a route for the missed 5 mins. Turns out it was 82m. Then, over to the LeCol challenge to see if I've completed it... guess what... 81m short :cry:

Haha that’s brutal. Could you manually adjust in Strava?

Back
Top Bottom