Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
Most people I know who have gimbals say don't fly looking through the camera on the gimbal as it stays level and it's hard/impossible to know what the attitude is when you're looking through your Fat Sharks/monitor. If you're going ot do FPV I highly recommend using a flight cam hard mounted to the quad body.

Also have fun, the Phantom is a great beginner quad :) you'll get addicted in no time and then want to build your own faster quad :) I love blasting around in mine flying FPV.

Edit: Oh and balance your new props, you'll massively cut down the vibrations that cause jello (the wobbly looking video caused by the camera moving during an exposure) and give your flight controller an easier job.

Edit2: also get some circular polarised antennas for your video transmitter (VTx) and goggles/receiver, you mentioned a 600mW VTx so I guess you've gone for ImmersionRC, good choice, I'm on their frequencies too, you'll need make sure you get SMA connectors on the antennas (rather than RP-SMA). They will increase the range you can fly and eliminate the multipath interference you get with the standard rubber ducks.

I have a small cam for FoV for exactly the reason you say.

Have balanced the props.

I have circular polarised antennas too :)

I'm not new to flying. I have a Trex 450.
I was going to build an F550 but I figured that the Phantom would suit my needs and be more portable.

Soldato
Can you make it return to home position without having to fly it back as with failsafe?
Yeah, you can. I don't have a NAZA controller myself but from memory you can switch to any of these mode if you have enough switches on your controller.

Full manual - you have complete control.
Atti - the quad will self level.
Position hold - the quad will hold position using GPS, you can also move it around in this mode but the controller takes care of altitude, level etc.
Headless (I forget DJI's name for this) - basically whatever the orientation if you move the pitch control back the quad will move towards you, away and it'll move away, good if you lose orientation and panic :)

or better yet, log it with a flight plan and have it fly on its own.
The NAZA in the Phantom doesn't have this, in fact no NAZA does. For that you'll need a 3DR APM 2.5+ controller, you can add waypoints in real time to the quad from a laptop with a USB telemetry module. Make it fly a path and automatically take photos so you can tile them togather and loads of other stuff.
This is the controller I have :D

In simple terms DJI = Apple, the APM = Android. DJI products are a closed system but they are simple and work well. The APM controller created by 3DR is open source and if you can program you can pretty much add anything to it or make it do anything.

Soldato
I have a small cam for FoV for exactly the reason you say.

Have balanced the props.

I have circular polarised antennas too :)

I'm not new to flying. I have a Trex 450.
I was going to build an F550 but I figured that the Phantom would suit my needs and be more portable.
Ah good stuff, looks like you know the score :) you'll love it.

Permabanned
Failsafe. It has GPS and returns to it's home position and lands if it loses connection with the transmitter.

Remote screen with video downlink transmitting at 600mW on 5.8GHz. I get a PoV of what the camera sees.

I also have a mini GPS transmitter that has a PAYG SIM in it. If I lose the drone I can SMS the SIM and it's sends an SMS back with it's current GPS coordinates.

fantastic! Awesome stuff isn't it? :)

Soldato
Is there any law on using these with cameras? Thought there may be issues with privacy etc?
It depends what you mean. Flying line of sight with a camera on there's no restriction on top of those for flying any other model aircraft.
For FPV, you can't go above 400ft for further away than 500m.

As for privacy, nope, they'd be rather redundant as the existing laws prevent breaches of privacy. In public places in Britain you have no right to privacy. If you're being filmed in your property then they'll be close enough to fall foul of flying too close to people and buildings.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
120Hz?

I still maintain my disliking toward companies that advertise monitors and TVs as "LED" when they're only LED backlit! All of them seem to do it :/

Soldato
Blame OcUK for doing that it's their marketing team that's done that :p

Nah it's just a simple TN 60Hz however I just wanted something a little larger, well, I didn't actually it was just too good to turn down.

Edit for elaboration:
Wanted something to watch a NowTV box on and that requires HDMI which my current monitor doesn't have so I wanted a second, rather than buying a TV, guys on here said to get a Monitor was a little unsure on how I could change the input signal however after learning I could do it on my current one, I just needed to buy a second monitor and this beauty popped up so got that, just need to buy myself a DVI-D - HDMI adapter and the box and then I'm good to roll.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spa f1 tickets and parking. Not included is the camping and ferry crossing

IMG-20130801-WA0000_zps0887ee41.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom