Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Thanks :) Tanglewood TW130. Got it for a pretty good £110, advertised as mint condition, and it really is, not a single sign of use, not even a nick. Came with tags, original box, factory tag says set up March 2013! Action is a bit high for me so need to sort that out.

But coming from a cheapo 'generic' all laminate dreadnought, this is so nice to play. It sounds so much more crisp and detailed. The neck is very smooth, easy to fret all the way up, I'm very happy with it :)

How on earth do that make it so cheap when something from Martin or Taylor costs around £1k+ new !

Soldato
How on earth do that make it so cheap when something from Martin or Taylor costs around £1k+ new !

Well, RRP is £260 or so, mine was from eBay. Solid sides would be nice too but I'm not accomplished enough to either appreciate enough or make a difference between an all solid model and my nearly all solid one!

I don't know much about where/how Taylors/Martins etc are made but I imagine there will be a premium on the brand heritage, on the source and quality and specific type of spruce/mahogany/rosewood/etc, and little details that add to the workmanship or hours per guitar. E.g. the inside of my guitar is very neat, the bracing looks very tidy, no excess glue, well finished, but there is room for improvement if I was being extremely picky, I guess it's details like these.

This is more than adequate for my level, pretty pleased with it :)

Caporegime
Well, RRP is £260 or so, mine was from eBay. Solid sides would be nice too but I'm not accomplished enough to either appreciate enough or make a difference between an all solid model and my nearly all solid one!

I don't know much about where/how Taylors/Martins etc are made but I imagine there will be a premium on the brand heritage, on the source and quality and specific type of spruce/mahogany/rosewood/etc, and little details that add to the workmanship or hours per guitar. E.g. the inside of my guitar is very neat, the bracing looks very tidy, no excess glue, well finished, but there is room for improvement if I was being extremely picky, I guess it's details like these.

This is more than adequate for my level, pretty pleased with it :)

I borrowed a friend's guitar to get to grips with it, it is a cheap one, can't adjust the action (it is too high), it is all laminated and pretty heavy. Not sure on the brand. I have played with a nicer guitar in the shop and they are much nicer but like you said, I am too rubbish to play them to make a difference.

As for price, I can see why Taylor costs so much after watching their factory tour video, I just don't know how others can make it so cheap !

Watch Part 2 especially about the neck making and how it joins the body, how they can be adjusted almost microscopically to take into account the tension of the strings pulling one way so they have to put the neck back the other direction in order to make it straight after stringed up. It's all very fascinating.

Soldato
I borrowed a friend's guitar to get to grips with it, it is a cheap one, can't adjust the action (it is too high), it is all laminated and pretty heavy. Not sure on the brand. I have played with a nicer guitar in the shop and they are much nicer but like you said, I am too rubbish to play them to make a difference.

As for price, I can see why Taylor costs so much after watching their factory tour video, I just don't know how others can make it so cheap !

Watch Part 2 especially about the neck making and how it joins the body, how they can be adjusted almost microscopically to take into account the tension of the strings pulling one way so they have to put the neck back the other direction in order to make it straight after stringed up. It's all very fascinating.

People are way too anal about their guitars, but I guess that's what they want. Yeah they can definitely justify their prices though :p beautiful guitars

I replaced the strings on my acoustic and electric the other day, which made a world of difference. May be worth it on this crap acoustic just for you to get a better feel, if you can manage to change them

Caporegime
People are way too anal about their guitars, but I guess that's what they want. Yeah they can definitely justify their prices though :p beautiful guitars

I replaced the strings on my acoustic and electric the other day, which made a world of difference. May be worth it on this crap acoustic just for you to get a better feel, if you can manage to change them

Narh, my plan already is get the basics down on guitar and then get a Taylor. It's more than just the brand, heritage and construction. The sound that it makes is like nothing else. A Martin sounds like a Martin, but a Taylor sounds like a Taylor, it has that clarity in the strings even when you strum it that you don't get with a lot of other guitars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom