Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Finally got here:

ta21.jpg

A HF (100 kHz to 50 MHz) active antenna. Just got to decide where to mount it.

Soldato
Thanks for the interest in the Mosin Nagant, everyone.

What are the marks on the chamber? They should show date of manufacture and factory symbols etc
There should also be some armory markings on the stock. Do the bolt and the rifle have matching numbers?
Did it come with a bayonet?

Cutting the head off the bolt like that is ... a disappointment. :(

0TfTUku.jpg
Here are a couple more snaps for you. You can see the head of the bolt sliced off at an angle. A cartridge will only go into the chamber about halfway as there is now welded metal inside, blocking the barrel. (I agree with the blocking of barrels (obviously), but it seems almost pointless to not allow an inert round to be cycled.)

7XFMe9r.jpg
As for markings, well this thing has plenty: around 20 at first count. Here is the barrel shank for you to see. Most of the markings are unknown to me. Certainly, lots of Mosin markings are a mystery to everyone as Russia still hasn't released their meanings. The ones I can make out say that the rifle was made in 1936 by the Izhevsk Arsenal. That crossed swords mark is a mystery to me, too. Looking at it in the daylight, I think this is actually a refurbished model, but none of the serial numbers match, which I think is very unusual (?) for a refurb, so if anyone has any knowledge to add please do. :)

Soldato
Thanks for the interest in the Mosin Nagant, everyone.

Here are a couple more snaps for you. You can see the head of the bolt sliced off at an angle. A cartridge will only go into the chamber about halfway as there is now welded metal inside, blocking the barrel. (I agree with the blocking of barrels (obviously), but it seems almost pointless to not allow an inert round to be cycled.)

As for markings, well this thing has plenty: around 20 at first count. Here is the barrel shank for you to see. Most of the markings are unknown to me. Certainly, lots of Mosin markings are a mystery to everyone as Russia still hasn't released their meanings. The ones I can make out say that the rifle was made in 1936 by the Izhevsk Arsenal. That crossed swords mark is a mystery to me, too. Looking at it in the daylight, I think this is actually a refurbished model, but none of the serial numbers match, which I think is very unusual (?) for a refurb, so if anyone has any knowledge to add please do. :)

Groovy.
I know one of the main differences between the early and late model manufacture 91/30 is the shape of the receiver - early models often had a hexagonal shape, whilst later war production variants had the round receiver as it cut down on production time/materials.
Also depends on the factory who made it iirc.

Check out http://youtu.be/dScs_zZaZRw (part 1 of 3) and the mosin section of this channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Iraqveteran8888/search?query=mosin
You'll see some interesting stuff / gunsmithing. Watch the mosin torture test part 1&2 :D see what these old surplus rifles are capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom