Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The best thing about it is it can do the cranked up tube sound at low volume. A normal tube amp, even a 1watt, will needs to be cranked up for it to sound good. This doesn't. Or the tube amp will begin to distort if I turn it up but I want a clean sound. This can stay clean and be turned up.

It is very flexible, I think there's a video online comparing this to a real tube amp side by side for sound. I certainly can't tell the difference!

Sure, it's too small to be gig with but I don't intend to do that, I just want to practice without annoying the neighbours so this is perfect.

Your solid state does not sound like a tube amp. I don't need to justify that statement :p That isn't to say that it doesn't sound good, mind.

Also, you only have to drive the tubes for them to sound their sweetest and this doesn't necessarily mean high volume in modern amps. You just can lower the amplitude of the signal going to the speaker using post gain while driving the **** out of the valves pre gain.

As for tube amps distorting after being cranked, ha. They do, but only if you tell them to.

I had a tiny terror which had enough head room to play clean over the top of a live band in 7watt mode. Watt for watt, a tube amp will always deliver more headroom and volume than a transistor circuit.

Soldato
Time to leave the stone age with something cordless:

c052.jpg

You should have asked in Home and Garden as you would have been recommended a Li-ion powered drill. Nicad is not great and especially so for occasional DIY use.

Soldato
II6rBZb.jpg

+1 skill points to the potato camera. Today the internet, tomorrow the world.
No martian heat ray as yet though, so I think we're safe for now.

I avoided this latest daft punk album because I'd heard a lot of people hating on it like it wasn't as good as discovery. Fortunately I checked it out on youtube and decided none of them knew what they were talking about.

As for WOTW.... well if you don't like 70's prog-rock masterpieces then you can be farmed by the martians for all I care :p

Caporegime
They copied off Blackstar which is what I linked you to ages ago.
Fellow musicians swear I'm using valve on stage.

My shortlist were

A Blackstar HT-R1 but it has no treble/mid/bass controls.
A Blackstar HT-R5 but it is way too loud being 5W.
A Peavey VIP 2, too big. (the 1 seems too much of a compromise)
A VOX AC4TV but no where in stock anywhere.
A Marshall Limited edition 1 watt but it is £600.

It came down to a Rolan Cube 20GX and the Yamaha THR10. I chose the Yamaha in the end. I don't rule out a tube amp in the future, in fact I plan on it but it's not needed now. I really don't want to crank it up for it to sound good.

Last edited:
Soldato
You should have asked in Home and Garden as you would have been recommended a Li-ion powered drill. Nicad is not great and especially so for occasional DIY use.

I've got exactly the same drill, had it for about 6 years and i've never had a problem with it, i've done decking with it, flat roofing, built a summer house and all sorts of odd jobs, it's done me fine.

Associate
As for WOTW.... well if you don't like 70's prog-rock masterpieces then you can be farmed by the martians for all I care :p

I can't say I like that kind of music but I love Jeff Waynes WOTW, my favourite part is the Thunderchild. I've got it on Vinyl but don't have a record player.

Moving swiftly through the waters
Cannons blazing as she came
Brought a mighty metal War-Lord
Crashing down in sheets of flame
Sensing victory was nearing
Thinking fortune must have smiled
People started cheering
'Come on thunder child'

Last edited:
Soldato
*snip*

I can't say I like that kind of music but I love Jeff Waynes WOTW, my favourite part is the Thunderchild. I've got it on Vinyl but don't have a record player.

Moving swiftly through the waters
Cannons blazing as she came
Brought a mighty metal War-Lord
Crashing down in sheets of flame
Sensing victory was nearing
Thinking fortune must have smiled
People started cheering
'Come on thunder child'

I've had it on CD for Years!, My Wife bought me the New Version and the DVD of the Stage Show the other Christmas (2012)... Not as good as the Original, Lliam Neason doesn't have the same presence as Richard Burton, and no one sounds like David Essex!! But it's worth it for some of the updated verisons of the Songs!!

And Thunderchild is probably my favorite too!! :cool:

Though the Re-Mixes of The Eve of the War are quite good too!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom