Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Is this the test which says you are 20% anglo Saxon, 20% viking and 60% black?

More than that.
You get ancestor which looks like this
30kx4d2.jpg

Health
302oyzb.jpg

And then you can use other sites to mine the data further or if you've read a particular bit of research and know the bit of code you are looking for you can search directly for which variant you have.

Soldato
Are they anygood? I always used to be a Dewalt man but after a lot of 14.4v old style battery stuff needed new batteries I have started replacing everything with 18v Lion Bosch Pro stuff as and when they are on special offer and I must say its batter than the DeWalt stuff.

Got a 18v hammer drill and impact driver with a 3Ah and 4Ah battery and case for £140 the other month and just bought a matching Oscillating saw with another 3Ah battery for £110 since they have cash back on all tools atm :)

Just a torch, circular saw and jigsaw to go now :)

Homebase had a sale and it never finished so treated myself - The last one to come was reciprocating saw and must say it's streets ahead of my old mains Lidl one - I have tried all of them now and really impressed with impact driver and drill - Only downside I have found is circular saw - it only has a 16mm bore - 165x16mm blades are like rocking horse poo. The fixing nut is smaller than the inserts you get with 30mm hole blades.

One other thing I hope isn't going to be a problem is forward and reverse lever on drill - I had a B&D drill and as B&D also make these and DeWalt I hope they haven't used same as was on my B&D drill as it went hard to move left or right.

One nice touch on impact driver is two magnets on either side of housing - holds bits nicely.

So far I am happy considering how much they were - Time will tell but most of my DIY days are past now so just odd jobs

I had a Bosch GBH 24v SDS drill for years - was worth it's weight in gold but after retiring the batteries soon died through lack of use - I still have my Bosch 12v drill - must be 25 yrs old but the second battery is on it's way out.

So yes Bosch has been fine for me in past but to expensive now.

Bosch 36v SDS+ with vibration handle is a super drill - so light yet loads of power.

Caporegime
One nice touch on impact driver is two magnets on either side of housing - holds bits nicely.

So yes Bosch has been fine for me in past but to expensive now.

Its the batteries where the money is. The Bosch Pro 18v hammer drill and impact driver can both be had without batteries or charger for around £40. Batteries can be up to £100 now though :(

I must admit they last so much longer than the DeWalt Nickel ones did plus I like the fact I can put it away and its still got charge a week later.

Tea Drinker
Don
Have you fed it into any off the other sites?
There's a load if them which look and compare the data to a huge amount of research like.
https://www.promethease.com/ondemandagreed
https://www.athletigen.com

Just run mine through both these.

The athletic one is free and give a little information about your traits in exercise.

The other one regarding health is much more detailed than 23&me and by the looks of it digs a lot deeper. 23&me didn't come up with anything for me on health and this one says I am 3x more likely to get Crohn's, I have ulcerative colitis.

Man of Honour
I kinda want one of these 23&Me's but at the same time...I don't :p

Think it depends on how you think you would deal with a very high risk of something. Things like parkinsons is locked and you have to click to reveal. Where treatable/less server stuff is just shown.

Anyway, spit collected and posted back, now just have to wait for 6-8weeks. Just find it fascinating, I've read a few books on genetics and epigenetics.

Soldato
Isn't the whole point of it a little... unsound? I mean the results are based on everyone's results aren't they? So if only hypochondriacs and unhealthy people provide them with data then the results are meaningless.

I mean from that pic you posted, a 0.3% risk of stomach cancer vs an average risk of 0.2% is statistically meaningless and certainly not "elevated".

I wouldn't want to know anyway, but whatever floats your boat. Does it cost anything?

Man of Honour
Isn't the whole point of it a little... unsound? I mean the results are based on everyone's results aren't they? So if only hypochondriacs and unhealthy people provide them with data then the results are meaningless.

I mean from that pic you posted, a 0.3% risk of stomach cancer vs an average risk of 0.2% is statistically meaningless and certainly not "elevated".

Not really, it's based on research some much stronger than others. Pretty much the only thing comparing to others is the Neanderthal average. Which is purely based on 23andMe own data.
The average risk for diseases is well established and used in general healthcare. Thinks like lactose intolerance it's extremely well established which genes cause it. Where other things may only have 1 study on it and as such the confidence level is extremely low. It's one reason they've been banned in the states from giving health reports. As it's not personal and so you dint get a professional explaining the report to you. Although they do have people you can phone for advice.

Off course it costs £125

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Depends what t&cs you accept. I've accepted everything, so my sample can be used in future research without further further consent.

They however do not sequence your genome. They look for ~600k SNPS (snippets of code) that are deemed interesting, and see which one you have.
Full genome is still several thousand so far to expensive.

Associate
I saw tempted to use 23&Me but then I heard they keep your genetic info on record. There was a few cases where in the US where they were forced into providing the data to third parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom