• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

~~~~~IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - Regarding Intel Sandybridge CPU/Motherboards (1000's IN STOCK)!!~~~~~

Soldato
Not even that, when code applied it gives you 2.0833% off not 2.5% as promised!

Where is that 2.5% everyone's quoting coming from?

New prices from 4th Jan - 120% of the price excluding VAT.

Old prices - 117.5% of the price excluding VAT.

117.5/120=97.92

So 2.08% price decrease to get the price before VAT increase.

Somebody wasn't paying attention in secondary school.

Caporegime
It didn't come across as simple.

My basket, not VAT is 622.54 pounds.
At 20% VAT it's 747.05.

At 17.5% it would be, 622.54 divided by 100, times 117.5 = 731.485.

So, 731.485. at 17.5% VAT.

Using the novatrise voucher it goes to 2.0833%

So, you'd do 100 - 2.0833 and keep that to one side = 97.9167

You'd then take your total at 20% vat,.

So 747.05, divide by 100, times by 97.9167

Answer is 731.485

It is indeed 17.5%.

Associate
Where is that 2.5% everyone's quoting coming from?

New prices from 4th Jan - 120% of the price excluding VAT.

Old prices - 117.5% of the price excluding VAT.

117.5/120=97.92

So 2.08% price decrease to get the price before VAT increase.

Somebody wasn't paying attention in secondary school.

You are right good sir, got my numbers wrong :D.

Associate
Regarding OcUK only offering bundles at 4.6GHz is down to simple fact, these chips to run at 4.8GHz and beyond require higher voltages and such voltages OcUK would not recommend for 24/7 running as with time the CPU will no doubt suffer electromigration and degrade over time. Also lets compensate at the moment for winter lower running temperatures, in summer any current bundle will run 10-20c hotter due to increased ambient temperatures and humidity. OcUK is confident in its bundles running stable and many years to come at the advertised clock speeds. We would not be confident at a bundle running at 4.8GHz or 4.9GHz for such period of time, were not saying its impossible as there will be some CPU's that are fine though we believe very rare and offering such a bundle would be misleading especially with such a short time period for a testing window.

Just regarding this point alone Gibbo; I've dealt with Ocuk for years and the customer service is prompt and effective at dealing with any issues. Regarding stock and petty name calling; anyone having a dig has issues or is jealous for how popular Ocuk is.

Good point in regards of the operating temperatures of 4.8-4.9GHz (being offered by competitors) which did have me concerned despite an excellent CPU cooler being used in the Prolimatech Megahalems Mega Shadow. In summer, my room can hit 27*c easy. Luckily I have a 12K AirForce aircon unit to help maintain temps to a more comfortable level. So +10*c to the CPU in the summer due to humidity is what I normally experience as I've a south-facing room.

Gibbo: why haven't you changed the amounts of RAM being offered from only 4GB to 8GB, surely that is possible @4.6GHz? The Krypton Ankylosaur lists the Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 2x2GB in the bundle deal and for 2x4GB on Ocuk is only £107.99. The rules for Ocuk bundles state to add more RAM you have to order it separately and lose the clock plus your still paying for the RAM in the bundle. Is there any change on either of these points so I can order?

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

I've spoke to Intel this morning and got the following answers from them:-

1. Anything over 1.40v on air is risky, upto 1.50v on water should be OK but risky.
2. Anything over 1.50v on memory is not recommended but should not kill a CPU.
3. Clocking on BCLK is highly un-recommended due to onboard graphics.

So the biggest factory they say is vcore, pushing above 1.40v is a risk, therefor I'd say don't go beyond 1.35v. BCLK clocking is a no no for sure.

I've asked for documents regarding 1.50v as motherboards manufacturers seem to think 1.65v is the safe limit, though Intel are saying 1.50v is more advisable.

I am going to update all our CPU descriptions with this information.

Anyone with 1.6-1.7v memory should run the memory at 1.50v as in theory it will run fine at those voltage as all memory manufacturers are now on new IC's.

In our own testing we have found the only thing killing the CPU's is core voltage. We've found setting memory voltage at 1.65v seems to be doing no harm, but were now gonna setup 3 rigs, one with 1.45v core volts, one with BCLK overclocking and one with 1.65 memory clock to see which one if any dies first. We shall do this on 2500k chips.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Another update:-

Intel recommend 1.50v for all their I5 and I7 processors, not just Sandybridge, which makes us further believe the culprit for dead CPU's exceeding 1.35-1.40v range on vcore.

Associate
Hi there

I've spoke to Intel this morning and got the following answers from them:-

1. Anything over 1.40v on air is risky, upto 1.50v on water should be OK but risky.
2. Anything over 1.50v on memory is not recommended but should not kill a CPU.
3. Clocking on BCLK is highly un-recommended due to onboard graphics.

So the biggest factory they say is vcore, pushing above 1.40v is a risk, therefor I'd say don't go beyond 1.35v. BCLK clocking is a no no for sure.

I've asked for documents regarding 1.50v as motherboards manufacturers seem to think 1.65v is the safe limit, though Intel are saying 1.50v is more advisable.

I am going to update all our CPU descriptions with this information.

Anyone with 1.6-1.7v memory should run the memory at 1.50v as in theory it will run fine at those voltage as all memory manufacturers are now on new IC's.

Thanks for the update Gibbo :)

Regarding CPU; thats along the lines of what I've mentioned previously in this topic, 1.3-1.35v is safe limit for clocks of up to 4.6GHz.

You have quite a lot of RAM modules showing 1.6-1.7v (average being 1.6v), including the Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) which is included in the oc bundle. Could you update all RAM descriptions too?

Soldato
Hi there

Another update:-

Intel recommend 1.50v for all their I5 and I7 processors, not just Sandybridge, which makes us further believe the culprit for dead CPU's exceeding 1.35-1.40v range on vcore.

Think i'll see how much i can squeeze out of stock volts for a while then!

OcUK Staff
OP
Thanks for the update Gibbo :)

Regarding CPU; thats along the lines of what I've mentioned previously in this topic, 1.3-1.35v is safe limit for clocks of up to 4.6GHz.

You have quite a lot of RAM modules showing 1.6-1.7v (average being 1.6v), including the Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) which is included in the oc bundle. Could you update all RAM descriptions too?

We shall improve our range of 1.50v RAM but the 1.65v works fine and our test rigs which have been running for a week plus under constant prime have not died with 1.65v memory voltage.

However were now gonna conduct more testing and actually try to kill a 2500k to find out what really kills them. Nathan is setting up a rig now.

Associate
We shall improve our range of 1.50v RAM but the 1.65v works fine and our test rigs which have been running for a week plus under constant prime have not died with 1.65v memory voltage.

However were now gonna conduct more testing and actually try to kill a 2500k to find out what really kills them. Nathan is setting up a rig now.

WOW gibbo ppl try and not kill components and your trying the opposite. best job in the world ;)

Soldato
Ocuk, I hope this is a sample cpu test to try what cause to kill the chip, or otherwise Intel won't be very happy to replacement it but we all know that Intel cannot found out if the cpu had died after been overclocked.

OcUK Staff
OP
Ocuk, I hope this is a sample cpu test to try what cause to kill the chip, or otherwise Intel won't be very happy to replacement it but we all know that Intel cannot found out if the cpu had died after been overclocked.

We have to do this, its a service we provide to our customers and its why were Overclockers UK.

People complain about our pricing, but were always first to market with stock and I don't see our competitors actively going out of their way trying to discover what can harm these CPU's and putting in lots of hours of research into this and then posting warning on our website.

Were the only company to do this and it takes a lot of time and money to do so.

But we pride ourselves on giving customers info first. :)

Associate
i think i wil wait now for a week or so now and see how things go before i order,with this problem and the bios problems ppl are having,but nice to see ocuk testing and giving advice.

Soldato
We have to do this, its a service we provide to our customers and its why were Overclockers UK.

People complain about our pricing, but were always first to market with stock and I don't see our competitors actively going out of their way trying to discover what can harm these CPU's and putting in lots of hours of research into this and then posting warning on our website.

Were the only company to do this and it takes a lot of time and money to do so.

But we pride ourselves on giving customers info first. :)
Well if you can afford to destroy a few chips then you obviously are charging too much to customers. ;)

Associate
Gibbo: why haven't you changed the amounts of RAM being offered from only 4GB to 8GB, surely that is possible @4.6GHz? The Krypton Ankylosaur lists the Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 2x2GB in the bundle deal and for 2x4GB on Ocuk is only £107.99. The rules for Ocuk bundles state to add more RAM you have to order it separately and lose the clock plus your still paying for the RAM in the bundle. Is there any change on either of these points so I can order?

I'm interested in knowing this, too. I'm tempted to get either a 2500K or 2600K bundle, but I think 4GB RAM is just too low for a modern system. May be ok for a mid-range build, but if you're after a brand new, just-released CPU running at 4.6Ghz, I think its fair to say you're not after a mid-range build!

Of course, I could just buy all the components separately ans OC it myself, but I'd like to know if there is a real issue hitting these sorts of speeds with 8GB on board. Is 4.6Ghz with 8GB RAM not possible? If not, what could you realistically get to with that much RAM? And will OcUK be providing an OC'd bundle with 8+GB RAM any time soon?

Back
Top Bottom