• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

~~~~~IMPORTANT SANDYBRIDGE OC INFO: Voltages & OC Guide!!~~~~~

Associate
Evening all.

Hopefully one of you might see this and have a bright idea:

Got a I5 2500, gigabyte Z77 UD3H motherboard, and have started overclocking it. reading all the threads on this was informative but also a tad confusing, so i decided to keep it simple and just clock with the multiplier and not mess with voltages and see what happens. after each increase in multiplier, i did a 2 hour large FFTs test, all of which were fine. Then, got to x43 multiplier, was fine for 2 hours, temps fine (max at 60), but found mouse and wireless adaptor were working in there usb3 ports.

Plugged them into other usb 3 ports, work fine. then got blue screen, then rebooted by itself and now original usb 3 ports are fine again.

any ideas?

Associate
I agree justintime, just thought i would try just the multiplier first. (everything is still on auto)

Thing is, little princess woke me up at 17.00 so i did another prime95 large fft test and left it until now, no errors on any and all usb ports and devices working.

weird.

Think i may try upping to x44 and see what happens (!)

Soldato
Reckon it's worth trying to do it properly? I get the feeling that this chip could do 4.5 with less voltage on a manual OC (or higher clocks with similar voltage), but it seems like more hassle than it's worth considering that temps are absolutely fine and I don't need the extra speed.

Associate
Reckon it's worth trying to do it properly? I get the feeling that this chip could do 4.5 with less voltage on a manual OC (or higher clocks with similar voltage), but it seems like more hassle than it's worth considering that temps are absolutely fine and I don't need the extra speed.

Less volts is always going to be better in the long run. I started using Auto for my 4.5GHz OC but was worried when my Vcore was getting high.

Happy with my 1.312-1.320 Vcore and lower temps than when set at Auto. All helps prolong the life of the system......Hopefully! lol.

Associate
At 4.5 and all settings on Auto IIRC I was pushing about 1.4. TBH I cant really remember as I deleted all my notepad documents once I got stable.
I do know at 4.4GHz on auto , Vcore was 1.344v and temps were 64 degrees max ( fans on full ) but when manually setting, I got to 4.4GHz with 1.296 Vcore and max temps of 62 degrees. Guessing my cooler is capable of keeping it around the 62-64 mark.

Associate
Guys, question from beginner overclocker:

If I take MSI Big Bang Xpower II motherboard (http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/Big-Bang-XPower-II.html#/?div=Detail) and Intel Core i7-3970X (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-440-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1672) with a thought to overclock it, what can I do, because I read tons of articles where it explaines how to overclock using Base clock and FSB, but here in first post I see warnings not to use these 2 values. The question is, how do I overclock then, I don't think playing with voltages give me any results, or I am wrong?

Soldato
Got my 2500k at 1.270v @ 4.4ghz now :) quite happy with that. Primed it with a blended test temps got to 50c max after a 4 hour run.

Might up it some more later down the line.

Associate
nice lads
im runing [email protected] 1.34v 24/7, anything over 45x reset my pc but only on my new bios flashed yesterday
im thinking to go back to old one
on new bios vcore is very weird, can't set up properly what i want ;/

stres temp 75C :/ watercooling soon

Associate
I had another go at OCing my 2500k tonight. I reset the bios settings and went for 50x multiplier, PLL overvolt enabled, LLC @ regular (0%), phase and duty control at extreme and everything else on auto. I seem to be stable so far, only played 30 mins of BF4 but had no problems. Thing is with core voltage at auto it was hitting 1.544v max, temp topped out at 65. I know that voltage is rather high for the 2500k but if my temps dont go above 65 do we think this will be ok for the next 6-12 months until I upgrade? Or do I run risk of killing the cpu at this voltage?

I should add, BF4 was definitely smoother at 5.0GHz over 4.5GHz. Absolutely 100% noticeably smoother!

Back
Top Bottom