Improving FTTP connection around the house?

Associate
Hi all,

I just upgraded from 36mbps FTTC to 300mbps FTTP, but I'm getting quite a drop off in speed both in WIFI and ethernet across the network. Currently my setup is as follows:

Plusnet 300mbps installed behind TV in lounge, the router feeds a switch to supply TV, Xbox and various smart bridges, it also feeds a AV1200 TP Link powerline adaptor that is rated up to 1300mbps.

TV in Kitchen connected via WiFi
Computer in office upstairs connected via AV1200 powerline adaptor
Synology NAS in loft connected via AV1200 powerline adaptor

I've noticed that although I recieve a reliable 300mbps at the router, the computer is only recieving about a third of that speed and by the time you are upstairs the WiFi can be as slow as 20mbps and coverage is quite poor by the time you are in the garden/garage

Is there anything I can do to resolve these two issues?

Thanks!

Soldato
First thing to try is to move the router away from behind the TV. TV's have a lot of shielding in them so they're fantastic at blocking WiFi signals.

It's not ethernet that's dropping off, if you plugged into the router directly with a cable you'd be fine. The problem there is the powerline adapters - they're fairly crappy. You're never going to get the quoted speeds from them, last time I tested a set the best I could get was about 120Mbps which is there or thereabouts what you're seeing.

Man of Honour
Throw the power line adaptors in the bin and cable it properly. Jokes aside, they are generally terrible, as is putting a Wi-Fi device behind a big shield (the TV). Relocate the router, or run cables.

Associate
OP
First thing to try is to move the router away from behind the TV. TV's have a lot of shielding in them so they're fantastic at blocking WiFi signals.

It's not ethernet that's dropping off, if you plugged into the router directly with a cable you'd be fine. The problem there is the powerline adapters - they're fairly crappy. You're never going to get the quoted speeds from them, last time I tested a set the best I could get was about 120Mbps which is there or thereabouts what you're seeing.

The best I can do is move it under the TV unit, the Openreach engineer suggested behind the TV and I naively agreed, it was probably to save him pinning cables along the skirting board!
120mbps is far better than the 30-36mbps I was getting so I will probably just settle for that.

Throw the power line adaptors in the bin and cable it properly. Jokes aside, they are generally terrible, as is putting a Wi-Fi device behind a big shield (the TV). Relocate the router, or run cables.

Running cables isn't an option for me as I am looking to move house next year.

Is there something I can use in conjuction with the powerline adaptors to at least bring the WIFI speed upstairs to match the reduced powerline speed? I'd rather use this than any kind of mesh system

Thanks!

Soldato
The best I can do is move it under the TV unit, the Openreach engineer suggested behind the TV and I naively agreed, it was probably to save him pinning cables along the skirting board!
120mbps is far better than the 30-36mbps I was getting so I will probably just settle for that.

Having it behind the TV is a terrible place for it. Under the TV unit may be better, it's worth a try.

Have you considered offloading Wi-Fi duties to a dedicated wireless access point? You'd disable the Wi-Fi on your router and have a new device broadcasting the Wi-Fi signal. Without knowing the layout of your house it's hard to say what AP would be best but something like a Ubiquiti UniFi U6 Mesh is worth a look. Ignore the 'mesh' in the name, it can work as part of a mesh network but doesn't have to. I've got several UniFi AP's at my place (all connected by ethernet) and the performance is exellent.

The AP connects to the router by ethernet so even if you can't run cables around the house you probably can run a cable from the router to somewhere else in the same room that isn't behind the TV.

You may find that a decent mesh Wi-Fi network (as much as I don't like them) would be better than the powerline. They really are terrible.

Associate
OP
Having it behind the TV is a terrible place for it. Under the TV unit may be better, it's worth a try.

Have you considered offloading Wi-Fi duties to a dedicated wireless access point? You'd disable the Wi-Fi on your router and have a new device broadcasting the Wi-Fi signal. Without knowing the layout of your house it's hard to say what AP would be best but something like a Ubiquiti UniFi U6 Mesh is worth a look. Ignore the 'mesh' in the name, it can work as part of a mesh network but doesn't have to. I've got several UniFi AP's at my place (all connected by ethernet) and the performance is exellent.

The AP connects to the router by ethernet so even if you can't run cables around the house you probably can run a cable from the router to somewhere else in the same room that isn't behind the TV.

You may find that a decent mesh Wi-Fi network (as much as I don't like them) would be better than the powerline. They really are terrible.
This sounds like a good idea, I guess not only could I position the AP better than the router it would also emitt a more powerful signal? I don't really want to have a cable across the room but I don't mind having the AP next to the TV unit
WiFi = crap
Power line adapters= crap

Do yourself a favour and properly cat 6 your house, and only use WiFi for things like phones etc.
Not an option so I'll have to live with the best comprimise I can

Soldato

Ok, shame.

You'll faff about spending money and time for something that will never be ideal.

The thought of routing around cables seems daunting, and yes I guess there are some occasions where you really cannot do it, but if there is any possibility once you've done it, you'll ask yourself why you hadn't done it sooner.

Caporegime
This sounds like a good idea, I guess not only could I position the AP better than the router it would also emitt a more powerful signal? I don't really want to have a cable across the room but I don't mind having the AP next to the TV unit

Sounds like a project for the new house then before you have loads of furniture in place to me!

Soldato
Power likely isn't the problem so putting a more powerful AP in likely won't help. Setting up an AP properly and positing it well will make a much bigger difference than upping the transmit power.

Associate
OP
Ok, shame.

You'll faff about spending money and time for something that will never be ideal.

The thought of routing around cables seems daunting, and yes I guess there are some occasions where you really cannot do it, but if there is any possibility once you've done it, you'll ask yourself why you hadn't done it sooner.
Sorry, I realised my reply to you may have been a bit blunt. Thanks for the info though, you have really hammered home how much better ethernet is and definitley worth doing in the new place.
Sounds like a project for the new house then before you have loads of furniture in place to me!
I agree!
Power likely isn't the problem so putting a more powerful AP in likely won't help. Setting up an AP properly and positing it well will make a much bigger difference than upping the transmit power.
So, theoretically, if I placed the Unifi next to my Plusnet router, it wouldn't actually give me any advantage, and I wouldn't notice any increase in speed or range of my WiFi?

I liked the idea of the AP and planned to place it on show either on top of or next to the TV unit, so it wasn't behind the TV like the router. I presumed the AP would allow for a faster, longer range connection than the router ever would too?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Man of Honour
So, theoretically, if I placed the Unifi next to my Plusnet router, it wouldn't actually give me any advantage, and I wouldn't notice any increase in speed or range of my WiFi?
Unlikely, as has been mentioned the will just block/reflect most of the signal.
I liked the idea of the AP and planned to place it on show either on top of or next to the TV unit, so it wasn't behind the TV like the router. I presumed the AP would allow for a faster, longer range connection than the router ever would too?
You could get a Wi-Fi AP that can broadcast for 5 miles but don't forget the devices on the other end need to be able to communicate back to it.

Soldato
Did you use the plusnet supplied router?
It's OK but nothing special
I prefer a router with detachable antennas
That way you could just get an antenna with extension
Moves the antenna out from behind the TV

Not saying its ideal
But still better

Running ethernet is always preferable
But since you said you can't
I picked up some hauwei ax3 routers at £30 each
Very cheap way to make a WiFi 6 mesh
Though I also ran ethernet to provide wired backhaul
They work on plusnet for me
Got 2 plusnet routers still in boxes somewhere
Isp supplied routers tend not to be the best

But yeah why pay for 300Mbs
Then settle for approximately 1/3 of that

Associate
OP
As soon as running cables was suggested I pictured trying to run them within the internal walls in the house (would be required for the office), but I realised earlier that I could pin an outside ethernet cable to the external wall of the house and then mount an AP either in a better place in the living room where the router as suggested by @the-evaluator or even into the kitchen which is more centrally located in the house and sit it on top of the kitchen units.

I've ordered the AP @the-evaluator suggested so will have a play tomorrow with a long ethernet cable before I choose it's final position

Thanks all :)

Soldato
Engineers just finished wiring fttp to my place
Hopefully it goes live soon
Can I ask how many ethernet ports you have on the ONT?
Though I guess they might use more than one ONT
Also with plusnet
No idea if ISP is relevant to which ONT you get though

Caporegime
Engineers just finished wiring fttp to my place
Hopefully it goes live soon
Can I ask how many ethernet ports you have on the ONT?
Though I guess they might use more than one ONT
Also with plusnet
No idea if ISP is relevant to which ONT you get though
Most ONT’s in use now have a single port which you would connect to a router.

Soldato
As soon as running cables was suggested I pictured trying to run them within the internal walls in the house (would be required for the office), but I realised earlier that I could pin an outside ethernet cable to the external wall of the house and then mount an AP either in a better place in the living room where the router as suggested by @the-evaluator or even into the kitchen which is more centrally located in the house and sit it on top of the kitchen units.

I've ordered the AP @the-evaluator suggested so will have a play tomorrow with a long ethernet cable before I choose it's final position

Thanks all :)

When you have your AP, head over here if you need any help getting it up and running.

Back
Top Bottom