In Which we discuss the next folding at home competition

Soldato
OP
LordShadow said:
In terms of dates, should we be talking late feb/early march?
Yeah i reckon so. I'd really like to go before the kig, certainly we'll need to know when thats going to take place.

All we need is wattage figures, average ppd figures and prizes, and we're done. I'll write the thread if thats ok although i'm not sure who should post it... i will if you want me to.

I think i may do some rewriting of the quick guide for this, or write a new one for this thread that makes it really simple to set up.

Soldato
I have finished the spreadsheet :D

It is a work of art! Well, it is quite clever anyway. I spent ages rummaging around the OpenOffice help files looking for the keywords to make my formulas work.

There are probably easier ways of doing it but it works. Basically there are two worksheets. One has all the data for the CPUs plus the average PPD. Each CPU has a number [the row number].

In the second work sheet there are a few headings:

Username, CPU ID, CPU description, Points, Result

The formula in the Result column takes the value in Points and also finds the correct PPD value in the first worksheet from the number in CPU ID and does its jiggery pokery to work out the result. Clever eh :D

There is also a formula in the CPU Description field that automatically finds the description based on the CPU ID. Saves me a lot of typing :)

So the only information required from the entrants is their CPU.

Once I know it is rock solid [and works in Excel for those not using OO] I can give it to the points master or whatever. Although I am happy to get the numbers myself and just send rich/whoever the results.

The only thing that is of any concern now is someone joining with a CPU not covered in my spreadsheet. There aren't likely to be any AMD or Intel Desktop CPUs I am missing but I am just wondering about mobile CPUs and people with IBM Macs.

SiriusB

Last edited:
Associate
Well is it worth catering to the Mac market? In terms of people we might actually get folding is it that likely that more than....5 of them might have macs? If so then i guess we better try to accomodate them, but if the numbers are as small as they often seem then it seems silly wasting our time.

Soldato
OP
Good work. :)

We have to draw the line somewhere, and if you've got all recent amd and intel cpus in there i think it wouldn't be a problem if we have to say to the odd person 'sorry you won't be eligible for a prize in this league and you won't be listed in the stats for this league because we don't have data for your cpu'.

Regarding the stats, we will probably want rich to put the competition stats in the weekly news at the time but how do you fancy being in charge of the overclockers league, dealing with all the stats and posting stats updates in the competition thread whenever you fancy it?

I think its better to split things up a bit, so you could be in charge of stats for the overclockers league and SS could do the stats for the ecowarriors league if he wants to do that...?

And then you can give the stats to rich for the weekly news each week, and basically post an update in the competition thread whenever you feel like it. I think thats probably better than posting massive bulk updates of all the stats at once.

what do you reckon?

Edit:
LordShadow said:
Well is it worth catering to the Mac market? In terms of people we might actually get folding is it that likely that more than....5 of them might have macs? If so then i guess we better try to accomodate them, but if the numbers are as small as they often seem then it seems silly wasting our time.
I think the official line will be 'you can compete, but we won't be able to cater for you in the overclockers league or the ecowarriors league, so you won't be eligiable for prizes in those leagues. But if you compete you're still in with a chance in the power league and you still get put into the raffle'.
And also i don't think i'll be catering for mac owners in the setup guide i put in the thread, but its still fine for them to compete and join the team and i'll do all i can to help, i'm just not willing to clutter up the setup guide for the benefit of a tiny minority. I think thats fair...

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I agree with that. Mac users are in a very small minority and they should know better :p

I am happy to get the stats meself and then give the results to Mr Millions. Not sure I agree with doing random updates.

I think maybe the best idea is to make a Competition Status thread or whatever. And each of us have our own posts, one for eco warrior, one for OC etc.. then every day we can edit and update our own post to reflect the current stats. Also make sure we date each update in case someone accidently forgets to do it one day :p

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
Yep thats probably a better idea.
Although i think it would be better in one thread, so we can each post at the top of the thread, or the person who posts the thread can edit the first post to put all the stats in it.

Having said that, i'm just wondering if it would be better to have a signup thread in the dc forum for people to list required system details and to ask for help setting things up, and then a main thread in the gh with stats and banter...

Soldato
I'd prefer it if everything stayed in DC apart from the pimpage thread. We can put links in the pimpage thread so it doesn't really matter if it is in GH or DC, but it is much tidier.

Anyone who signs up will want to know their results so will probably bookmark the thread anyway. Besides, I don't think people want us spamming up GH with DC threads :D

SiriusB

Man of Honour
SiriusB said:
Yeah I agree with that. Mac users are in a very small minority and they should know better :p
Watch it, you! I may not have a banhammer any more, but I still have contacts. :p

What happened to the team idea? Did it get lost in the mists of time somewhere?

Soldato
OP
Berserker said:
Watch it, you! I may not have a banhammer any more, but I still have contacts. :p

What happened to the team idea? Did it get lost in the mists of time somewhere?
What, the team intel and amd idea?
Thats still happening, but there aren't any complications with that so it hasn't been mentioned much, but there will be stats reports for those aswell...

Soldato
Basically every participant is automatically entered into ALL the categories. Obviously not everyone will have a hope in hell of doing well in some categories but there should be something for everyone.

This greatly simplifies matters as people need only give their CPU and intended username. No other info is needed afaik - at least not for the OC league :D

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
SiriusB said:
Basically every participant is automatically entered into ALL the categories. Obviously not everyone will have a hope in hell of doing well in some categories but there should be something for everyone.

This greatly simplifies matters as people need only give their CPU and intended username. No other info is needed afaik - at least not for the OC league :D

SiriusB
Yup. :)

Actually this is a good time to clarify what info participants will need to provide.

-Cpu manufacturer.
-Cpu model/speed
-Forum name
-Overclock if applicable

i think thats it.

Soldato
Joe42 said:
-Cpu manufacturer.
-Cpu model/speed
-Forum name
-Overclock if applicable

Cpu model will automatically give manufacture :p
But that all I need :cool: and keeps it accessable.

I can forsee a problem thought - with the current stock of WU's it's not going to be a very exciting compertition is it - 30% and 2days to go = dull

Hopefully by the time we roll this one out their will be better WU's about.
Most of the 212* prefired deadlines are April - that's a long way off.

Back
Top Bottom