In Which we discuss the next folding at home competition

Soldato
OP
divine_madness said:
On a different note, make sure it doesn't coincide with the Kings Int. Gauntlet, as a fair few folders were planning on switching over to SETI for those three weeks...
Good point, will have to keep an eye on that.

Soldato
I am still happy to receive donations and also handle the prizes. I think Paypal charges people when they receive money so it might be worth considering Bank Transfers. I will look into it and see what charges there are, if any.

I think the best way to deal with the actual prize items is to order them all in one go to save on delivery. I can then send them to the prize winners. I think we would have to limit the size/weight of the items or we will be spending half the money on postage :p

As for the leagues themselves I personally think it should be 1 machine per person and they can only enter in 1 league. Multiple entries means someone could win multiple times. Several machines in one league also means someone could win multiple times. Now imagine multiple machines in multiple leagues. Someone with a good range of PCs could theoretically win everything!

I haven't got around to sorting the figures yet as I have been quite busy. However I will make a start on them tomorrow. I will should have it all sorted by next week.

SiriusB

Man of Honour
Yes please - keep this well away from the KIG as otherwise one or the other is going to lose out, badly.

I'm also very worried about all this mention of PayPal and whatever. I haven't read the thread enough to know what's going on, but I suspect anything involving money is going to get a 'no' response, and for good reason giving the forum rules. Prizes given freely are one thing, but chucking money around is quite another. Please bear this in mind.

Soldato
OP
SiriusB said:
No hurry, but if you can deal with the prizes thats great.

One person per league sounds like a good idea except what if someone enters in one league but ends up being the best in another? Or is this very unlikely?

I'm also very worried about all this mention of PayPal and whatever. I haven't read the thread enough to know what's going on, but I suspect anything involving money is going to get a 'no' response, and for good reason giving the forum rules. Prizes given freely are one thing, but chucking money around is quite another. Please bear this in mind.
The plan was that one person will buy prizes and collect any donations for those prizes, all via paypal. Its not going to be a massive thing, i'd say only 3 or 4 people need to donate some money to get a couple of decent prizes. Does any of this violate the rules?
I wouldn't have though so...

Soldato
I know I've said it before but I really think all rigs should be listed in all of the rankings. Not only will this increase compertition / banta (Mr A - I'm stomping you and all your amd buds left right and centre! Ms B - That may be but your bottom of the ecoleague with that iluminated room heater of yours, etc etc.

But most importantly it will also make entering a rig easier and more user friendly. It will also make it is easier for the stat's stackers to 'manage' the admin / tables via spreedsheets. If all, are in every we just need to re-order by coloumn for each league and cut and paste the results. :D

One rig per person is a good idea I must say - also gives reason for the comp. sig as the data can only be linked to a single user name.

As to winning multipule prizes I really don't think one machine will do it, but a simple rule that says only one prize per entrant (their choice) is stright forward and acceptable to all, included just incase it does happen.

Date - i think your right joe, let's get the comp all sorted first and then roll out the PR.

Finally money / prizes - I understand Mr B conserns but it's just an extension of the freecycle above. Just instead of one person offering an item (lets call it a prize) it's 3/4/5 people clubing together to offer 3 items or prizes. Money changes hands - yes but it's all pre-comp. (mind you - does open one menber up to claims of miss us of funds etc. which is why the rules are their in the first place :o )

Soldato
Hi :p

Been pointed at this thread so thought I'd let you know my thoughts on the matter. The issue I see is that this is going on between a larger amount of people than just a buyer and seller in the MM.
Obviously as with all internet trading there is risks involved and this is no different. You are probably a genuine guy and would not scam people out of money but at the end of the day, how do we know that? This is not aimed at you in particular but the same would apply to anyone.
From our point of view, there is the issue that should any of this go wrong then it will come back to the forums and OcUK which cannot happen so here are my suggestions:

1) Buy the prizes individually - anyone who wants to donate something can and anyone who doesn't...well vice versa.

2) If you wish to continue with the money side of things then do it by e-mail with the relevant people who wish to donate the money into a central pot. Who holds the pot is up to you guys but it is done on the condition that there will be no comeback from ourselves or OcUK as a company.

I'll leave it up to you but hope you have fun in the end. :)

Soldato
OP
Slackworth said:
So the issue is, you're liable if its discussed on the forums?
I didn't think you were liable, i thought mm transactions are solely the responsibility of the buyer and seller...
Can you still be liable even if its done privately via email? :confused:

There are no risks for donators as far as i'm concerned, it would be small amounts, not more than £10 i would have thought per donator, most likely less.
In other words, trusting a respected fellow folder and forumite of 5,000 posts with a tenner is not an issue. And its really not the end of the world if that tenner were to vanish (although it might be the end of SB's account :p ).
But if ocuk being held liable for problems is an issue then we'll have a disclaimer.

So all we need is a simple disclaimer that any donations are non-refundable and ocuk cannot be held liable for the world suddenly vanishing in a puff of acrid black smoke should such an event occur?
Or must it be done via email?

I'll leave it up to you but hope you have fun in the end.
Thanks, i'm sure we will. ;)

Soldato
OP
shadowscotland said:
I know I've said it before but I really think all rigs should be listed in all of the rankings. Not only will this increase compertition / banta (Mr A - I'm stomping you and all your amd buds left right and centre! Ms B - That may be but your bottom of the ecoleague with that iluminated room heater of yours, etc etc.

But most importantly it will also make entering a rig easier and more user friendly. It will also make it is easier for the stat's stackers to 'manage' the admin / tables via spreedsheets. If all, are in every we just need to re-order by coloumn for each league and cut and paste the results. :D
Thats an excellent idea... problem solved. :)
One rig per person is a good idea I must say - also gives reason for the comp. sig as the data can only be linked to a single user name.

As to winning multipule prizes I really don't think one machine will do it, but a simple rule that says only one prize per entrant (their choice) is stright forward and acceptable to all, included just incase it does happen.

Date - i think your right joe, let's get the comp all sorted first and then roll out the PR.

Finally money / prizes - I understand Mr B conserns but it's just an extension of the freecycle above. Just instead of one person offering an item (lets call it a prize) it's 3/4/5 people clubing together to offer 3 items or prizes. Money changes hands - yes but it's all pre-comp. (mind you - does open one menber up to claims of miss us of funds etc. which is why the rules are their in the first place :o )
I agree with all of that.

Man of Honour
Joe42 said:
So the issue is, you're liable if its discussed on the forums?
I didn't think you were liable, i thought mm transactions are solely the responsibility of the buyer and seller...
Can you still be liable even if its done privately via email? :confused:
When MM deals go wrong, OcUK (as in the forum, not the shop), more often than not get the brunt of the comeback. People expect the MM Dons to turn up like some superhero and save the day, no matter how badly they carried out the deal. Despite having very clear guidelines on getting addresses and such, people have been known to bitch like hell when it all goes wrong after they haven't even followed the most basic of precautions.

I have no reason to doubt your sincerity, and I fully expect nothing to go wrong, but that's not to say things won't go bad, often for the silliest of reasons, and often it has nothing to do with the seller (in this case, as the one dealing with the money and prizes, you're obviously closer to a seller than a buyer in MM terms).

The MM Dons have enough trouble sorting out MM, so I can understand their reluctance to get involved in this - indeed that's why I brought it to their attention in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Berserker said:
The MM Dons have enough trouble sorting out MM, so I can understand their reluctance go et involved in this - indeed that's why I brought it to their attention in the first place.
Undoubtedly, thanks for taking the trouble to bring these things up even though you aren't on the mod team any more.

I would simply say, regardless of what happens the mods need not ever get involved. As i said, the money is small amounts and we'll have a disclaimer that its non refundable. Neither the mods nor the forum will be held liable if anything goes wrong, the forum is simply being used as a communications medium.

Is this ok, or must we use email?

As mentioned this is the same as the freecycle sticky... if there are problems with that the mods are not expected to get involved in any way. In the same way this is not payment, this is a donation, so the same rules should apply...

Soldato
I know this doesn't mean a great deal but I promise I wont steal your money :D

It is small donations but should any shenanigans happen with the money I offer up my account as forfeit! But nothing will go wrong. Be as easy as pie. People who freely want to donate merely sends me the moolah and I will go ahead and buy the prizes. I will even provide receipts for said prizes for peace of mind.

SiriusB

Soldato
divine_madness said:
If someone would say what kinda sigs are wanted, it will give me something to do after my exam today ;)

Good luck with the exam (although you're probably doing it now) and we're open to surgestions, but will need the following in some form.

Sig type 1 "Intel"
Intels logo in some form - should be prominant but not nessacary dominant.
F@H comp - some way of identifying why and what it's about.
Nulls stats - user name/credit - maybe credit average and user rank too.
we could even have a use a pre-fix to inclue spec of Pc.

Sig type 2 "AMD"
as above but different logo.

2 minute - example to follow

Last edited:
Permabanned
shadowscotland said:
Good luck with the exam (although you're probably doing it now) and we're open to surgestions, but will need the following in some form.

Sig type 1 "Intel"
Intels logo in some form - should be prominant but not nessacary dominant.
F@H comp - some way of identifying why and what it's about.
Nulls stats - user name/credit - maybe credit average and user rank too.
we could even have a use a pre-fix to inclue spec of Pc.

Sig type 2 "AMD"
as above but different logo.

2 minute - example to follow

I was out of the exam by 11:15 :p \o/

I'll do these later on once i've done a bit of work for my dad :)

Soldato
Just an idea

and it's should say Comp. 2 Extreme (not camp :eek: :D )

Man of Honour
I'm just curious as to what the overall state of play with this is. We're at post #219 and I've not seen anything that gives me huge confidence I'll even understand the rules, let alone be able to comply with them.

I have no interest in figuring out the TDP of my rig, or dealing with overclocking, or the nth degree of system specs. I can understand why some people might be interested if they want to build a folding farm, but I suspect there are other, better resources for a lot of this information. I've also not seen anything about the whole single CPU vs GPU vs SMP thing (with the obvious points differentials that brings into play).

Of course, I've not been following this thread closely, so it's entirely possible I missed the best bit. :)

Please don't take this the wrong way. I appreciate all the efforts and I would certainly like to see some good hearty competition around here. This forum sorely needs it. But as an outsider I'm still not convinced all this is the right approach. I just want to throw a system in and let it crunch - I know I'll lose due to having non-overclockable rigs, but that's not the point.

Oh, and by the way, the most successful competition we ever had here was team-based (i.e. teams within the bigger OcUK team), and is thus diametrically opposed to what's being discussed here. Old-timers should hopefully remember it. I'm not sure we have the numbers to make a go of that again, but it's worth a thought. :)

Soldato
OP
Those are very valid concerns, i don't infact myself have a clear idea of what's going on, and for that reason i shall be writing a set of rules for this competition as soon as i can. I just need to collate everything together, so we can identify what's left to decide and so we can see easily what this is actually going to involve. :)

Teams within a team is definitely the way to go, and teams + prizes = success. :p

Back
Top Bottom