In Win BM639 mini review

Associate
So after a small stroke of luck, I received this lovely little case this evening. All in all, I couldn't really ask for a better case for my needs for the price. Specs:

Gigabyte GA-GC230D with Intel Atom CPU
1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2/1GB OCZ Gold (I tried both... still having the same problem as explained in this thread :( - Please help!)
120GB 2.5" Samsung HDD
Slimline Samsung DVD Writer
120W PSU (supplied with case)

For such a small case, there has been a tremendous amount of workmanship and thought gone into it. Everything has a place (even though it may not be initially visible) and although it's extremely cramped to work in, once everything is in place it seems to give you a reassuring feeling; it's like a concrete block once it's sealed up with everything inside. The way I have everything sitting, it looks like the case can handle two 3.5" hard drives and 1 2.5" drive. If you were to use a full-size DVD drive, it would only take one 3.5" from what I can see (I didn't bother experimenting).

My pictures all turned out horrendous since I'm using my phone, but here are a few for tasters (I'll probably post up more tomorrow, feel free to request specifics);

Internal (I don't believe in cable management)

Outside, with my 22" monitor for comparison

With a game case for comparison

Noise-wise it's atrocious, although it's only the case fan at the top that seems to be causing the racket. If it's disabled, the whole thing (including the PSU) runs almost silent. It's a 40 or 60mm fan I think, I don't think you could fit much bigger in there though.

The front flap feels a bit flimsy, but I won't be using the DVD drive much anyway (apart from ripping the odd movie/album for storage) so it isn't a big concern.

All in all, this case is definitely worth the 50 quid I paid for it. If only I can get the damn hardware inside working, it will work nicely as a little file server for me :D

Feel free to ask any questions you want, and to help out with my hardware conundrum! clicky

More random pictures, trying to give you an idea of how small this thing is:

Set of Icemat Siberias for comparison

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sure thing... It was late when I uploaded them, I didn't really think about what I was doing :O

OK I can't edit them in work since imageshack is blocked :| But I'll sort them out later on, along with more (hopefully better quality pictures).

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking forward to the images, I'm getting six of the BM648 tomorrow to be used with the Intel DG45FC so I get to play myself. Its the one that takes a full size optical drive in an exposed bay with a small flap over the USB and audio ports.

Associate
I have a similar setup with the jetway equivalent of that board. I found that you can easily reduce the case fan speed to 1/4 or so and still have good cooling. Might be worth trying the bios options.

Associate
OP
Wow thats small. Nice little set up. How much did it cost you total? Also on a side note what you think of your headphones, Iv got a set and i didnt think they were very popular.

Without the screw ups I've went through, what you're looking at is probably under £200.

Mobo/CPU - £55
RAM - £20ish, going by todays prices (Bought 2x2GB, replaced the 2x1GB in my main PC with this)
Hard Drive - £30ish
DVD Drive - £35ish
Case - £45

(Postage would be about £15 on top of this, altogether).

I also bought a picoPSU and 120W power brick for about £65, but this isn't being used since there's a decent enough PSU that came along with the case, so I'll try it out on another PC first to make sure it actually works then I'll probably just sell it on (if I can't find a use for it).

I've also got a 500GB internal drive that I intend to add in once I get everything up and running. Once this happens I'll also try to tweak the fan speed to as low as possible. It outputs a pretty huge amount of air for all the size of it, so at a lower speed I still reckon it'd be good enough.

About the headphones... I bought them like 2 years ago before I knew anything about "decent" headphones. I've actually been waiting for them to break for the past year so I can buy a good set, but as of yet they've been sturdy and seem to be able to take quite a beating :( Oh well, they do the job for now.

Associate
I just bought one Hynix 2GB DDR2-6400 stick for £17, for my own Atom board (auction site). Since I try for my own system to be near silent I want to minimize the disk access. More ram means more cache :D

Also, I don't know if you use windoze or linux, but I found that the 64 bits kernel is considerably snappier on the Atom 230 - well worth trying if you get a chance

Soldato
No PCI-E slot even though there's space for one?
Your not allowed to on Atom boards.

I have just recieved my BM648's and I'm a bit annoyed, the 5.25" bay has a blanking plate with a cut out for a slim line optical drive but no 5.25" complete blanking plate or a plate to blank off the slim line optical slot. Probably not a problem for most people but it is for me as these won't have optical drives grrrr.

Associate
Thanks for the review Pennywise It looks really good, Shame about the noise but Probably nothing a sharkoon 80mm fan or 2 wouldnt fix, Im hopeing I can make one of these completely silent, does the small PSU fan make much noise?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the review Pennywise It looks really good, Shame about the noise but Probably nothing a sharkoon 80mm fan or 2 wouldnt fix, Im hopeing I can make one of these completely silent, does the small PSU fan make much noise?

No probs :D

As I said, if you unplug the case fan you can barely hear anything, only the Northbridge fan (I think it is?) makes any kind of noise, and with the case sealed it's pretty quiet. The PSU fan makes virtually no detectable noise once everything is put together, so you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Using the Intel DG45FC it runs the case fan at 1800 rpm and is is near silent. Did you get your gb board working? if so you may find some fan control settings in the BIOS.

Associate
Using the Intel DG45FC it runs the case fan at 1800 rpm and is is near silent. Did you get your gb board working? if so you may find some fan control settings in the BIOS.

What processor are you using on this board mate? Does the stock heatsink/fan fit in your case or do you need to use a different one? Thanks in advance :)

Associate
OP
Looks good. Any idea's on power consumption at the mains on idle and load?

Still haven't received my replacement motherboard (the faulty one still hasn't been picked up by the courier either, naming no names) so I haven't had a chance to run any tests whatsoever on the machine. Once I do get the replacement and I have everything up and running (still unsure as to what OS to use, but that's another topic for another thread :p) I'll try and see what kind of wattage the thing uses whilst idle and under load. I can't imagine it using all that much in real-world use though, considering the most it'll be doing (for me, anyway) will be downloading and streaming music, and the odd movie. If I'm doing any cd ripping, I'll do it on my main PC and transfer the files across manually.

Associate
Noise-wise it's atrocious, although it's only the case fan at the top that seems to be causing the racket. If it's disabled, the whole thing (including the PSU) runs almost silent. It's a 40 or 60mm fan I think, I don't think you could fit much bigger in there though.

According to the case specs it should be a 80x80x20mm fan. Have you tried replacing it? I wonder if there is enough room to put in a 80x80x25mm fan.

Back
Top Bottom