In Win BM639 mini review

Associate
OP
I haven't went near the case in over a month. I still haven't had the mobo replaced, so I've no need to touch it yet. I'll update this with more info once I get the thing up and running...

Associate
I ordered the BM639 from somewhere but the shop took 3 weeks to figure out they can't ship it to the Netherlands :S Might go for the Procase Noah now if I can't find a shop for the BM639.

Associate
OP
WELL. 2 months later, a replacement arrives, and thankfully it works. The case is a loud *******, and the insides aren't even doing anything (idle at BIOS - trying to figure out how to install FreeNAS on a USB pen for some experimentation) but I intend to replace the fans with some that are either a lot quieter or completely silent (if possible). All in all a fantastic little case, very robust, but just a tad loud at present.

Associate
WELL. 2 months later, a replacement arrives, and thankfully it works. The case is a loud *******, and the insides aren't even doing anything (idle at BIOS - trying to figure out how to install FreeNAS on a USB pen for some experimentation) but I intend to replace the fans with some that are either a lot quieter or completely silent (if possible). All in all a fantastic little case, very robust, but just a tad loud at present.

Do you think with some setting up, this tower/system could be run whilst in the same room as sleeping?

Planning on getting one myself, Looking at the Atom 330 with 1GB ram.

Edit - How is that hdd mounted on the box at the (botttom?) of the case in the first picture?

Sorry for all the questions, but I take it the slim ODD cover plate is included?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Do you think with some setting up, this tower/system could be run whilst in the same room as sleeping?

Planning on getting one myself, Looking at the Atom 330 with 1GB ram.

Edit - How is that hdd mounted on the box at the (botttom?) of the case in the first picture?

Sorry for all the questions, but I take it the slim ODD cover plate is included?

- I doubt it could be ran in the same room whilst sleeping without some tweaks, i.e. turning the case fan RPM down a fair bit or changing it altogether, I haven't went near this thing in ages because of moving house/can't be arsed/various other issues so I haven't done this yet, but it really is quite loud.

- The 2.5" HDD is mounted with screws that come up from below. I'd take pictures to show you, but there's a terabyte drive stuck in there now :D The ODD cover plate is indeed included, and it not only holds a slimline DVD drive and a 3.5" hard drive, but it helps with the stability of the whole case, turning it into a solid barrel of muscle.

Associate
- I doubt it could be ran in the same room whilst sleeping without some tweaks, i.e. turning the case fan RPM down a fair bit or changing it altogether, I haven't went near this thing in ages because of moving house/can't be arsed/various other issues so I haven't done this yet, but it really is quite loud.

- The 2.5" HDD is mounted with screws that come up from below. I'd take pictures to show you, but there's a terabyte drive stuck in there now :D The ODD cover plate is indeed included, and it not only holds a slimline DVD drive and a 3.5" hard drive, but it helps with the stability of the whole case, turning it into a solid barrel of muscle.

Thanks for the reply, Ill put the idea on hold for now until i have a bit more money spare so I can look into better cooling for it whilst be quiet, perhaps with noise dampening etc.

Many thanks :)

Soldato
Few questions if I may....

1) The box at the bottom of the case below the 2.5" HD is for a 3.5" HD?

2) Can one be mounted where the 2.5" is as well (losing one of the PCI slots no doubt)?

3) What connectors does the PSU come with?

4) It does take a full height 5.25 drive OR a slimline and a 3.5" depending on choice yes? Does it include a fascia to allow the slimline drive?

Thanks
Meth

Associate
OP
Few questions if I may....

1) The box at the bottom of the case below the 2.5" HD is for a 3.5" HD?

2) Can one be mounted where the 2.5" is as well (losing one of the PCI slots no doubt)?

3) What connectors does the PSU come with?

4) It does take a full height 5.25 drive OR a slimline and a 3.5" depending on choice yes? Does it include a fascia to allow the slimline drive?

Thanks
Meth

Yes, the box at the bottom is for a 3.5" HD. I have a 1tb drive stuck in there now with the 120gb 2.5" system drive bolted on top. I'm quite sure there aren't any boltholes for a 3.5" drive where the 2.5" drive is at the minute, although I'm also quite sure you can fit another 3.5" drive in the ODD cover plate underneath a slimline optical drive.
It will take either a full size optical drive by itself, or a slimline drive and a 3.5" drive in the ODD cover plate, but unfortunately not both.

I can't remember exactly which connectors come with the PSU, but I *think* there's the 24-pin connector for the mobo, one molex, one sata, and one 3/4 pin connector for the CPU.

I might crack it open tonight to see if I can fit my spare 500gb drive in, and if I do I'll take some more pictures.

Soldato
Please do (post pics if you open again). I'm interested if there is physical space to place a HD above the "official" bay. Holes can be drilled easy enough or some other method to attach. What concerns me is whether the HDD would foul the first PCI slot (I'm happy to lose the 2nd one)

EDIT: Do the PCI slots get filled with proper LP blanking plates (ie that I could mod into a plate for an existing card) or just perforated cut outs?

Last edited:
Associate
Do you guys reckon the 120W PSU in one of these cases would be able to drive a 65W C2D or C2Q as well as an AMD 4670 and a couple of drives? OcUK says it should do, but it sounds right on the edge of the ability of the supply...anyone had any experience with this?

For info, from the mini-ATX case range this has the largest PSU capacity.

EDIT: ha, just noticed that a thread two down from this one is asking the same question!

Soldato
I have just recieved my BM648's and I'm a bit annoyed, the 5.25" bay has a blanking plate with a cut out for a slim line optical drive but no 5.25" complete blanking plate or a plate to blank off the slim line optical slot. Probably not a problem for most people but it is for me as these won't have optical drives grrrr.

Nightmare, can you fit a heatsink on the CPU with a full size 5.25 optical in place? I'm deciding between a S775 mobo or an Atom system

Associate
OP
Sorry to stir up old threads...

But, where'd you get your desk lamp OP?

;)

No idea, it was one that was just lying around the house that I brought to my uni house since I didn't have a reasonably sized desktop lamp.

I forgot all about this thread actually, more pictures are due... If I'm not wrecked from work I'll do a bit of messing around tonight when I get home and take some more internal pictures.

Soldato
Q for anyone with this case

Is it possible to attach (any method!) a 2.5" HDD under the full size optical drive bay? Clearance on an std Atom heatsink?

Q: Can PSU and Bottom Drive cage be removed? I'm thinking of a minor mod to case ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Yes the bottom drive cage can be removed by a screw on the back. The PSU can also be removed as I have replaced mine with a PicoPSU - much quieter as well.

As for attaching a 2.5" drive to the optical bay I couldn't say for certain. I took mine out for improved airflow on the 80mm case fan.

I dug out the cage that I took out:

xp5y6w.jpg

Hope that helps with your first question.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks v much mod1fied

Could I ask for a photo of the inside of your case if poss? I'm thinking to remove the drive bay, the PSU and fit a GA-G31M-ES2L microATX mobo. It's smaller than standard mATX so should fit once PSU is gone. The case is big enough but it depends how much space from the standoff to the bottom edge of the case exists - ie can I fit the WIDTH of the mATX board (9.6")

Back
Top Bottom