Inexpensive Strong Beer/Lager

Soldato
Seems they don't lock you in (the monthly version says "No Commitment"), so no cancellation needed from what i can gauge.

EDIT - Seems cancellation is needed, so not sure why it says no commitment!

EDIT2 - It's not saved my card details so not sure how they'd take payment for the "next" box. Just says PAYG, so presumably they give you the option to take it up or not.

Don
Given that list i'd definitely be adding Pomona into that. I've had 2 recently that have really stood out (Gnome DIPA and The Answer is with the Question).

drinking a can of Thagomizer from them at moment, decent enough but wouldn't buy again, will try and get one of those 2 you recommended

Can't type for toffee
Don
Seems they don't lock you in (the monthly version says "No Commitment"), so no cancellation needed from what i can gauge.

EDIT - Seems cancellation is needed, so not sure why it says no commitment!

EDIT2 - It's not saved my card details so not sure how they'd take payment for the "next" box. Just says PAYG, so presumably they give you the option to take it up or not.

Yeah I grabbed this, I'm not normally a huge fan of BD and that Lost Lager swill they did is atrocious haha.
I use a disposable card for things liek this so if they mess about when cancelling it doesnt really matter as they cant take a payment so will cancel anyway.

My card shows the payment, I have a receipt email from them, but my BD Acc online seems to uggest I have no subs and no orders :/

Soldato
Yeah mine neither. Maybe because there's no autorenewal then it's not a case of being "signed up" so to speak. Suggests delivery is around the 12th April so guess will just wait till then.

On a side note since i/we have managed to turn this into a generic beer thread. I found a decent Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/craftyuksupermarketbeer/

Seems to be people reviewing beer from Supermarkets.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/craftyuksupermarketbeer/

Good way to know which supermarkets do what. Although i know it's often different from branch to branch.

Capodecina
Soldato
My local Tesco do quite a big selection but it hasn't changed for years. Therefore I always get the same ones.

Ales

Abbot Reserve <<< my favourite
Bishop's Finger
Old Peculiar
Black Sheep ale

IPAs

Proper Job
Shipyard IPA
Landsdown American IPA
Mr President

I don't think I ever get anything different. I used to buy Hobgoblin but their beer is terrible quality now so I don't buy it anymore.

Soldato
Amazing how tastes change.

I went to Tesco to grab some cheap Northern Monk Faith in 440ml cans and saw Mr President. Not had it for years but just having it now and it’s pretty awful compared to the DIPAs I’ve had recently.

I remember I used to really like it.

Soldato
My local Tesco do quite a big selection but it hasn't changed for years. Therefore I always get the same ones.

Ales

Abbot Reserve <<< my favourite
Bishop's Finger
Old Peculiar
Black Sheep ale

IPAs

Proper Job
Shipyard IPA
Landsdown American IPA
Mr President

I don't think I ever get anything different. I used to buy Hobgoblin but their beer is terrible quality now so I don't buy it anymore.

If you like Abbot Reserve, you should give Old Crafty Hen a go. Two of my faves in the stronger beer selection.

Capodecina
Soldato
If you like Abbot Reserve, you should give Old Crafty Hen a go. Two of my faves in the stronger beer selection.

Love it! It's another great one, but for reasons of my own, I have it only on special occasions. Great beer though. Abbot Reserve is definitely my favourite beer at the moment. It's stunning.

Soldato
we get a load of Karpackie super cans left in the loading bay at work fairly frequently. I'd take that as a recommendation if I were in the market for strong inexpensive canned beer.

Also I believe the Italians think that Tenants super is some kind of high class premium beer? I mean... its hard to believe but I guess the Italians know a thing or 2 about class, so I wont knock it until I've tried it :)

Capodecina
Soldato
we get a load of Karpackie super cans left in the loading bay at work fairly frequently. I'd take that as a recommendation if I were in the market for strong inexpensive canned beer.

Also I believe the Italians think that Tenants super is some kind of high class premium beer? I mean... its hard to believe but I guess the Italians know a thing or 2 about class, so I wont knock it until I've tried it :)

I have actually tried Tenant's Super once before for the lolz. Scarily enough it wasn't too bad.

Associate
drinking a can of Thagomizer from them at moment, decent enough but wouldn't buy again, will try and get one of those 2 you recommended

Pomona Island are an awesome brewery.

To add to the list, I thoroughly recommend any pale from Beak Brewery down in Sussex. 5% beers that drink like DIPA's. Overtone from Glasgow are alos knocking out good juice.

I started drinking Neck Oil by Beavertown a few years ago and since got into homebrewing to save money. I have since spent thousands on stainless steel gear but also discovered the best hobby in the world! I can't make NEIPA's like Verdant but they're pretty close.

Associate
When we were students, my flatmate and myself came up with Super-speccy-baltic 9, Tennents Super, Speccy Vat, and Baltic 9 which you could pick up from Makro. Could also get Baltic 4 or 5 in the offie round the corner from the flat, was actually a decent beer. There is also turbo shandies if you arent too manly to buy some smirnoff ice

D4N

D4N

Associate
If you want strong beer that tastes good, you’ve got to look to the Belgians. One of my favourites is Gulden Draak Quadruple at around 10.5%. It’s not that cheap over here, but if you go into Belgium itself, you can pick up loads of decent beers for good prices.

Back
Top Bottom