Insurance for cycling?

Soldato
With Yellow Jersey - my two bikes (£2.5k and £800) - would cost me £250 a year. My golf GTI costs me £280 a year including business mileage!!

Soldato
What car do you drive? A old banger living in the most safest part of the UK? Hehe

I drive a Porsche, and they want more to insure a £2.6K bike, despite relative value and potential claim values.

Where is the sense in this? Seems to me that the Bikemo gang love being lubed up and taken for a ride themselves. Absolutely bonkers.

Soldato
Granted cycle insurance isn't cheap but for instance, with Bikmo, you are insured worldwide and for racing should you need it. Plus additionally clothing, equipment and cycle specific luggage.

I'm not sure what the comparative cost would be for the same on a vehicle but agree it is disproportionate.

Soldato
Hi guys,

What's 'Race Gold' like from British Cycling? £66 a year with a Direct Debit discount... I'm mainly after commuter protection (and legal) and theft whilst at work. My home insurance covers me whilst I'm there.

My bike that I'll be using was about £900, a couple of years ago - if that makes a difference :p

Thanks.

Soldato
Might be worth considering for some. No idea of prices yet but have a friend who's with them and just had an off so will see how well his claim is handled.

https://pedalcover.co.uk/product/bike-home/

Was leaning towards a comprehensive home policy as £4-500 on a specific cycle policy, if you have more than one valuable bike, would go a long way on a traditional Building & contents insurance policy.

Edit: For convenience & clarity on Bikmo policies:

Bikmo Transit Query
Bikmo Transit Confirmation

Last edited:
Soldato
Any new providers on the market to be aware of? Bikmo renewal arrived yesterday, no change in premium (minor decrease) yet to contact to haggle, race cover isn't really essential for me any more but the worldwide travel insurance and decent level of kit & bike box cover still is.

Ideally something combined with home & contents would be great but separate policies aren't an issue.

Soldato
Where from?!

I'm getting about £600pa for just my road bikes (£10k)

Also, hypothetical question.....my shed was broken into and my bike was stolen (this bit is true). Now say I repair the shed and keep the bikes in there again, and it's stolen again, would I be covered again (assuming I meet the requirements of the insurance etc)?

ie. can you claim for the same scenario twice?

Soldato
Pedalcover won't give me a quote because I'm in a house share.

I guess they are the only combined cycle/contents insurer?

For just bike insurance, Bikmo appear to be more expensive than Yellow Jersey but I'll have to compare the policies in more detail.

Soldato
You do get a more comprehensive policy with Bikmo, YJ doesn't include travel insurance and I don't know the level of kit cover it provides? Bikmo works on a minimum amount of about £500 I think or 10% of your total insured value, whichever is greater.

Soldato
You do get a more comprehensive policy with Bikmo, YJ doesn't include travel insurance and I don't know the level of kit cover it provides? Bikmo works on a minimum amount of about £500 I think or 10% of your total insured value, whichever is greater.

So Bikmo actually provides full annual travel insurance as part of the overall bike insurance? YJ do travel separately.

And by travel insurance you mean stuff like... flights cancelled, medical expenses, repatriation, delayed bagged, emergency cycle hire, etc?

Soldato
So Bikmo actually provides full annual travel insurance as part of the overall bike insurance? YJ do travel separately.

And by travel insurance you mean stuff like... flights cancelled, medical expenses, repatriation, delayed bagged, emergency cycle hire, etc?

No to my knowledge it's not a full travel insurance policy. It's not going to cover cancelled flights and the likes but covers your for cycling, touring, racing etc abroad and everything else gear, personal accident etc stipulated.

Ask them :)

Associate
Just got a quick quote of £72.65 per month for both my bikes which cost together about £14k from Bikmo.
Now my friend hit a pot hole a few weeks ago and landed smack down on his face at about 20mph, he slid several feet unconscious and does not have much face left.
Very horrific to say the least.
I want insurance for me personally rather then the cost of the bikes though?
They don't seem to offer an option just for accidental or 3rd party insurance.

Soldato
I went for PedalCover in the end, was about £100 more expensive than my normal home insurance, but covers me and my bikes in pretty much every eventuality I should encounter.

Back
Top Bottom