Insurance - Shopping around pays

Soldato
Hi

Just had my renewal through from Churchill for my 740 Estate (2.3 GLE) and they said £561 TPFT (with 1NCB) down from about £600 TPFT(0NCB). Im 22, living in a very good insurance area with no crashes / convictions.

I wasnt very impressed that i was only saving £40 with my 1NCB, so i ran a quote through confused.com and a company called direct choice (think they are a broker) came out at £350 TPFT! The actual insurer is called Highway. I read through all the legal junk and all is above board. Ive spoke to a few people insured though these and no-one seems to have any problem.

So i went onto this quote, and added legal cover, and windscreen cover, and the final price was £394!

I rang Churchill renewals so see what they could do on their price of £561 and they said that the quote i had recieved was amazing and they could never even get close to matching it!

So there we are. Approx 5-10 mins of my time, and ive shaved £167 off my insurance. Ive also paid it in one hit, so i save myself getting charged interest on installments too (total price from churchill in installments would have been £617!)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OllyM said:
Insurance prices vary wildly, but I found confused.com totally useless - it was giving quotations higher than what I'd got directly from the same insurers.

Ive found the same :(

Soldato
I wonder if it's because they make some assumptions that push the quotes up, that you don't put when you get a quote directly?

I really can't see what else it could be, unless it's totally flawed :p

Soldato
I ran my last renewal through Confused.com and Endsligh came out cheapest.

Their call centre rang me and went through the quote. When they actually used the details I put in properly, the quote went up by £400 or some equally daft amount :rolleyes:

Associate
Had my renewal through today from Bell, they wanted £1400, but can get it for £1200 through their online system so I'll get it for that, but no where else seems to be able to match it, spent about 2 hours this morning ringing up tons of companies who all spewed out quotes of £3k+ and all basically said "no way we're going to be able to match that".

Was hoping to move to a more mod friendly insurer, but it seems those insurers want 150% more for their premiums!

Soldato
I just went on to confused.com and did some mock quotes for me on my BM:

Insureandgo: £5815.95
AA: £5145.86

Kwik-Fit Insurance is the cheapest, a bargain at £4308.07 :p

Even weirder, Admiral want £4993.80 - over the phone they insured me for a lot less than half that!! :D

Soldato
I found my insurance via moneysupermarket.

I must have spent around 10hours on the phone and a further 10online searching for quotes.

Saved around £500 though.

Soldato
just did confused, for renewal on my 106 gti, quoted 3300 for the cheapest lol, aparently admiral wouldnt insure me, despite already doing a quote with them, plus im currently insured with them on the car with 3 months of my policy left.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
To be fair to confused, its just dished me out a quote of £940FC no excess on a BMW 540i sport @ 21 with 1NCB for 12 months.

Thats not bad at all, infact i think its the best quote ive had on a 540

Soldato
OP
Hate said:
I don't want to alarm you, but Highway insurance are renowned for being total rubbish, not paying claims, scouring the internet for references of you "racing" or "misusing" your vehicle and generally being incompetant fools.

http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28074

Im not too bothered really, as long as im legally insured. Its a £100 volvo. If I spin it into a ditch, i wont bother claiming anyway, would cost me more than its worth. Ive had minor incidents with walls and stuff, and the bumpers do a very good job of protecting the car :p

I think the fact i have no mods or anything like that, mean the insurance company cant really try and wriggle out of a claim should i make one anyway. Bit of a difference between a modded RX7 and a crapped out old volvo ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hate said:
I don't want to alarm you, but Highway insurance are renowned for being total rubbish, not paying claims, scouring the internet for references of you "racing" or "misusing" your vehicle and generally being incompetant fools.

http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28074

That is such a load of carp really though. It's ONE case out of how many other payouts do you think they do?

If your car is all above board then there's nothing they can do. I've been with them for last year and again this year (through different brokers) and I'm not worried in the slightest :)

EDIT - Hadn't the guy actually admitted to racing on the forum or something like that? I can't be bother reading the thread again.

Soldato
PMKeates said:
I just went on to confused.com and did some mock quotes for me on my BM:

Insureandgo: £5815.95
AA: £5145.86

Kwik-Fit Insurance is the cheapest, a bargain at £4308.07 :p

Even weirder, Admiral want £4993.80 - over the phone they insured me for a lot less than half that!! :D

So you are with Admiral? I went with Hastings Direct ~ they gave the best price.

Soldato
zain said:
So you are with Admiral? I went with Hastings Direct ~ they gave the best price.
I mostly struggled to get a quote being under 21, which is why I settled with Admiral as not only did they quote, but they didn't want much money either!

Soldato
PMKeates said:
I mostly struggled to get a quote being under 21, which is why I settled with Admiral as not only did they quote, but they didn't want much money either!

Did you try Hastings though? When I tried them they were not that popular and gave decent rates for under 21s

Soldato
TripleT said:
That is such a load of carp really though. It's ONE case out of how many other payouts do you think they do?

If your car is all above board then there's nothing they can do. I've been with them for last year and again this year (through different brokers) and I'm not worried in the slightest :)

EDIT - Hadn't the guy actually admitted to racing on the forum or something like that? I can't be bother reading the thread again.

nope, he went to santa pod for a run what you brung, the engineer found a "t piece" on the fuel line which "must have meant n0s"

the fact you dont plumb n0s into the fuel line...

Back
Top Bottom