• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10nm Cannon Lake CPUs Delayed Until Late 2018

Soldato
I'm not sure. I remember the pre Core2 clear out. Not pretty.

So do i. As it happens, i thought it was pretty :D they deserved it then just as much as the current ***** deserve it now. The end result of this always ends up with normal working peeps in factory's paying the ultimate price though. Did then and will now.

Man of Honour
Intel could probably survive off its IP.

Yeah Intel have R&D banked, money in the bank, they won't struggle to survive - they might have to eat some profits to get back on track if AMD really eat into their position but that is about it.

Soldato
So do i. As it happens, i thought it was pretty :D they deserved it then just as much as the current ***** deserve it now. The end result of this always ends up with normal working peeps in factory's paying the ultimate price though. Did then and will now.

Yeah the pleb's got what they asked for I suppose.

Associate
What is the die size of the newly released dual-core i3-8121U?
Well, seeing how the rumour seems to be that due to yields Intel had to disable the iGPU and possibly more...
... The answer is that this new 10nm dual core part's die size is a lot bigger than its functionality and node size would suggest.

Soldato
What is the die size of the newly released dual-core i3-8121U?

That looks like a very miserable part against the 14nm 8650U which is also 15W, has double the cores and threads, an IGP, and a much higher boost. I know that's i3 vs i7 but still depressing for a node shrink.

Associate
I know that's i3 vs i7 but still depressing for a node shrink.
It's the unusual thing of an i3 which actually isn't an i7 with tons of stuff disable. Might even be an Intel first that. An i3 without any artificial market segmentation, just a very desperate move to have some shipping 10nm product.

Associate
Intels 10 nm seems to be a basket of cats, that new i3 doesn't look very compelling or impressive next to its older siblings.
Thing is, Intel can get through this the now, but 2019 with a third year of Ryzen taking away sales and its really going to hurt.
2017, year one of ryzen - cracks in the wall
2018, year two and more improvements while intel keeps bleeding and loosing market share, the crack turns into a stream
2019, a potentially massive year for AMD with a huge node and a significant change to the core and that stream will turn into a tsunami if intel go into 2020 with nothing more compelling than a crap core on a dodgy node.

They need to get it plugged this year, not next.

Soldato
The only reason this useless Cannon Lake Core i3 exists is so Intel can say in their investor calls that they've got 10 nm products on the market. There is no point to it compared to previous generations, right now at least.

EDIT: So apparently Cannonlake is Cannon Lake now. At least that's 3 generations in a row with consistent naming.

Permabanned
EDIT: So apparently Cannonlake is Cannon Lake now. At least that's 3 generations in a row with consistent naming.

Cannon Lake is the last generation based on the Skylake microarchitecture.
I guess it is because "lake" cannot be with an equal capital letter next to SKY.

Back
Top Bottom