• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel admits it won't catch up with AMD's 7nm chips until 2021

Associate
Intel have a far bigger market share, especially in the business world of desktops. Intel moving from top dog to second on chip capability in the next two years will create a vibrant competitive playing field for them to spring back from.
Intel got there because AMD had nothing to compete with, now that's not the case anymore.

Associate
Intel got there because AMD had nothing to compete with, now that's not the case anymore.

That and intel has the logistics and support services, which its customers find important - imo. Its resources are unmatched, especially to small, third-world countries. They are there providing their products to both private and public offices. Most HP and Dell products from these countries have intel in them. AMD, i think, will not have the same capacity. Not for a long while.

Last edited:
Associate
How many years did we get barely 5-10% improvement from Intel? Then forcing socket change on top of that! The chickens have come home to roost. ;)

Exactly. A strong AMD is very good for consumers, because Intel will have to up their game, cut prices, or face losing market share year on year. If only we had three CPU manufacturers instead of two, even better for consumers! :D

TrM

TrM

Associate
Exactly. A strong AMD is very good for consumers, because Intel will have to up their game, cut prices, or face losing market share year on year. If only we had three CPU manufacturers instead of two, even better for consumers! :D

Intel will never allow a 3rd manufacture of x86 CPU’s I know 2 other companies can make x86 if I remember correctly but intel won’t allow for anyone else to enter the market they own the basis on :( shame really would love to qualcomm and Samsung etc to have a go tbh

Soldato
Intel will never allow a 3rd manufacture of x86 CPU’s I know 2 other companies can make x86 if I remember correctly but intel won’t allow for anyone else to enter the market they own the basis on :( shame really would love to qualcomm and Samsung etc to have a go tbh
NVIDIA!!.
Personally, I think in future CPU's will not be needed in many cases. I think that's a reason why Intel is having to enter the market. I think it's more than just another revenue avenue.

Associate

How would Intel have a say? :confused:

Soldato
So how did AMD enter the market?

AMD was originally a second source for x86 CPUs. IBM used x86 CPUs in the IBM Personal Computer,and required that there would be a second backup source of manufacture for the CPUs. So AMD started making Intel designed CPUs,then branched out and started making their own,first reverse engineered designs which were meant to not have any Intel specific technologies(a few others did the same),and then they branched out into making their own CPUs.

Edit!!

Here is an article which talks about their history upto 2012:
https://www.techspot.com/article/599-amd-rise-and-fall/

Caporegime
Don't think however that Intel can just retract AMD's X86 license, well..... they could but then AMD could retract their X64 License from Intel and then no one can make 'X86_64' CPU's.

AMD and Intel are joined at the hip.

Edit. yeah read above ^^^^ :)

Permabanned
That stuff around x86 is too much for my head, There is IP around then apparantly it had to go through the US Gov because of China. They were worried China would steal the sauce for x86 right?

Associate
That stuff around x86 is too much for my head, There is IP around then apparantly it had to go through the US Gov because of China. They were worried China would steal the sauce for x86 right?

China probably already has, they have agents everywhere, or so most Americans would have you believe! :p

Back
Top Bottom