• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Interesting seeing others thoughts on that LTT video, for me (and I usually watch most LTT videos for the amusement factor) it seemed their most obvious shill video I've seen, seems quite weird given their usual stance on being neutral...

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the tearing in CP2077, a supposedly 'Tier 1' game, that was bad and I can't recall the last time I had any tearing issues, even prior to getting a Freesync display.

Which was the other thing, Linus mentioned they weren't running variable refresh rate which raises the huge question of Why Not?! Surely the only reason not to run VRR these days is because you don't have support for it?

When they mentioned the tiers as well Linus said something about the DX11 stuff being due to a 'lightweight driver', which is certainly one spin to put on awful performance.

doesn't seem that big a hit but a380 is pathetic anyway.
Overall it's a very similar hit compared to Navi24 actually:
rF5mSpB.png
Their Arc review didn't have any Nvidia RT performance but the 6800 XT ref review did, and taking those:
0ejVGy8.png
Actually surprising that % wise Ampere and Turing were very similar - seems the RT improvements were just due to raw performance improvements.
Considering Intel were boasting about having more fixed function RT hardware while AMD seem to have gone for more of a "let's dual-purposed the shaders" approach, that is actually a pretty poor showing from Intel.

Still you are correct, until we see big Arc it's all speculation.

Interesting seeing others thoughts on that LTT video, for me (and I usually watch most LTT videos for the amusement factor) it seemed their most obvious shill video I've seen, seems quite weird given their usual stance on being neutral...

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the tearing in CP2077, a supposedly 'Tier 1' game, that was bad and I can't recall the last time I had any tearing issues, even prior to getting a Freesync display.

Which was the other thing, Linus mentioned they weren't running variable refresh rate which raises the huge question of Why Not?! Surely the only reason not to run VRR these days is because you don't have support for it?

When they mentioned the tiers as well Linus said something about the DX11 stuff being due to a 'lightweight driver', which is certainly one spin to put on awful performance.
Yes, usually can't be bothered to watch the youtube "stars", so good that people have to summarised it. And from that summary, it did strike as shilling galore. Far too softly, glancing over most issues.
Igor on the other hand:
"Of course, you should feel sorry for Intel, but even more for those who have spent their money on such products because the PR machinery produces full-length propaganda at its best and you as a consumer have trusted it."
The auto translator has mangled that a bit:
Mitleid ist natürlich angebracht, aber nicht Intel gegenüber, sondern meines gilt uneingeschränkt denen, die Ihr Geld für solche Produkte ausgegeben haben, weil die PR-Maschinerie abendfüllende Propaganda vom Allerfeinsten produziert und man dann als Konsument darauf vertraut hat.
So more like "Naturally pity is appropriate, but not for Intel, rather my pity is solely for those have spent their own money...".
Igor's not worried about being in Intel's bad books then!

EDIT:
Almost missed this bit: "After all, Pat now has his first real Vega moment and Raja not the [his] first déjà vu." Hadn't realised that Igor had done some coverage of Arctic Sound Tile too. I though at least for GPU Compute, Intel's GPU would be useful (with the assumption that HPC usually means writing code from scratch).

Last edited:
The ARC 380 doesn't currently support Rebar on AMD CPUs/chipsets:

Ooof! :eek:

Igor's Lab said:
And there are so many technical bugs and carelessness in the drivers and GUI that you could lose faith in programming mankind.

Last edited:
The ARC 380 doesn't currently support Rebar on AMD CPUs/chipsets:

It's almost easier to list what does work than what does not!

In another forum reported this THG story:
Intel's Arc GPU Drivers Do Not Support Mining, Confirmed

To which my retort was, that from the first reviews:
Intel's Arc GPU Drivers Do Not Support DX9, Confirmed
Intel's Arc GPU Drivers Do Not Support DX10, Confirmed
Intel's Arc GPU Drivers Does Support some DX11 games, Confirmed
Intel's Arc GPU Drivers Does Support some DX12 games, Confirmed

Yes, usually can't be bothered to watch the youtube "stars", so good that people have to summarised it. And from that summary, it did strike as shilling galore. Far too softly, glancing over most issues.
Igor on the other hand:
"Of course, you should feel sorry for Intel, but even more for those who have spent their money on such products because the PR machinery produces full-length propaganda at its best and you as a consumer have trusted it."
Mitleid ist natürlich angebracht, aber nicht Intel gegenüber, sondern meines gilt uneingeschränkt denen, die Ihr Geld für solche Produkte ausgegeben haben, weil die PR-Maschinerie abendfüllende Propaganda vom Allerfeinsten produziert und man dann als Konsument darauf vertraut hat.
So more like "Naturally pity is appropriate, but not for Intel, rather my pity is solely for those have spent their own money...".

EDIT:
Almost missed this bit: "After all, Pat now has his first real Vega moment and Raja not the [his] first déjà vu." Hadn't realised that Igor had done some coverage of Arctic Sound Tile too. I though at least for GPU Compute, Intel's GPU would be useful (with the assumption that HPC usually means writing code from scratch).
who cares about the a380? it's like judging the 3090 on the performance of a 3050.

also German take says it all.... the only country that is obsessed with AMD, where amd sell more than anywhere else. (percentage wise)

some of these people are just saying what amd fanbois want to hear to remain popular

Igor on the other hand:

EDIT:

He calls them "Intel Affiliated Youtubers" he's talking about Linus, and possibly Gamers Nexus.

This is quite interesting, we have never really had a bad product from Intel, at least not since the Pentium 4, and that was not anything like as bad as these GPU's, it still worked, it was usable.

This thing can only be classified as broken, barely usable, Linus with a huge smile and silly screen confetti holding the A380 was almost telling people to go out and buy it.

The whole video seemed to be glassing over the fatal problems it has, sometimes even twisting its problems in to a positive. It gains so much performance with Re-Bar Enabled :D

As soon as Intel realised people discovered you could actually buy the A380 and review it they have been running around tech journalists studios twisting the inevitable narrative, that's their job, they are marketing people, you should take anything they say with a pinch of salt and wait for independent reviews, the question is tho whose independent? a couple of them, Linus certainly seems to be acting as an extension of Intel's marketing team.

I'm glad i'm not the only one whose noticed it.

who cares about the a380? it's like judging the 3090 on the performance of a 3050.

also German take says it all.... the only country that is obsessed with AMD, where amd sell more than anywhere else. (percentage wise)

some of these people are just saying what amd fanbois want to hear to remain popular

Stop, this thing is broken. They are trying to flog us a broken product.

Last edited:
The world is changing, everything is much more transparent. The questionable tactics of the past are getting harder to get away with. This applies to all aspects of life. This is a good thing as it will eventually drive better behaviour.

Only be concerned if there are attempts to shut down the flow of information. Like many people who remember the world before the internet, the amount of power the average person has now in an internet connected phone is incredible. What do most do with it? Watch cat videos :cry:

He calls them "Intel Affiliated Youtubers" he's talking about Linus, and possibly Gamers Nexus.

This is quite interesting, we have never really had a bad product from Intel, at least not since the Pentium 4, and that was not anything like as bad as these GPU's, it still worked, it was usable.

This thing can only be classified as broken, barely usable, Linus with a huge smile and silly screen confetti holding the A380 was almost telling people to go out and buy it.

The whole video seemed to be glassing over the fatal problems it has, sometimes even twisting its problems in to a positive. It gains so much performance with Re-Bar Enabled :D

As soon as Intel realised people discovered you could actually buy the A380 and review it they have been running around tech journalists studios twisting the inevitable narrative, that's their job, they are marketing people, you should take anything they say with a pinch of salt and wait for independent reviews, the question is tho whose independent? a couple of them, Linus certainly seems to be acting as an extension of Intel's marketing team.

I'm glad i'm not the only one whose noticed it.

Considering it hasn't properly launched yet, I'm more than happy to withhold judgement.

Intel clearly realise it is not ready which is why we have this investor appeasing/trial launch of 1 card in 1 market, gather some real world usage data and give themselves some extra months to tidy things up.

If that's true there is probably a perfectly rational reason for it, see if you can spot it.

tsGHG4J.png

Igore did explain what he meant by "The German perspective" Germans are dispassionate analytical people, if Spok was human he would be German, they are well aware of this themselves, so his conclusions are not influenced by any sort of empathy or good will towards Intel, just cold hard facts.
And to be honest the world could do with a lot more of that.

I'll let Clarkson explain it in a classically British way.....

Igore did explain what he meant by "The German perspective" Germans are dispassionate analytical people,
I'm not convinced they have a lot of violent people and football hooligans
yea thew a380..... but people are acting like a380 = a770 when the a380 will have compromises that bottleneck it's performance.
we don't know if the other cards do.,..

no one judges NVidia high end cards on the memory limitations of its low end cards but it's intel so it must be crap apparently, never saw anyone with more bias than you in this thread.

all you do is constantly mock intel how is it not classed as trolling?

The A380 looks like a nice little alternative to the 6400XT. I'm looking forward to seeing how the top tiers perform. It will take a couple of years to fix the drivers though so I'm out.

Regarding DirectX 9/10/11 games, I thought it was odd when Linus said that some optimisation would need to be done in the games themselves as well as the drivers. RDNA was a new archectecture built from the ground up yet it didn't need game developers to add RDNA optimisation to Direct 9/10/11 games.

I'm not convinced they have a lot of violent people and football hooligans

yea thew a380..... but people are acting like a380 = a770 when the a380 will have compromises that bottleneck it's performance.
we don't know if the other cards do.,..

no one judges NVidia high end cards on the memory limitations of its low end cards but it's intel so it must be crap apparently, never saw anyone with more bias than you in this thread.

all you do is constantly mock intel how is it not classed as trolling?

You can absolutely make estimates and educated guesses based on what's been delivered and tested. Honestly can you hand on heart say it looks decent? I mean I quite want them to compete but it's not looking promising is it? How can you not judge based on whats been delivered? This is why companies release at the high/enthusiast end first. It is halo products down if the top one is that good imagine even half of that sort of thinking... Intel didn't do that so we judge based on what we see.

Igor is also just plain annoying, he often has hot takes and flawed analysis

Regarding DirectX 9/10/11 games, I thought it was odd when Linus said that some optimisation would need to be done in the games themselves as well as the drivers. RDNA was a new archectecture built from the ground up yet it didn't need game developers to add RDNA optimisation to Direct 9/10/11 games.
so no games have optimisations built in for NVidia and AMD?
I remember when they used to pay developers and it wasn't just to advertise a logo

so no games have optimisations built in for NVidia and AMD?
I remember when they used to pay developers and it wasn't just to advertise a logo

Yes I'm aware that AMD sponsered games perform better on AMD and an Nvidia sponsored game performs better on Nvidia. But when there's no sponser, there's often not much in it. Intel is 50% slower in DirectX 11 and it can only be down to drivers. It is Intels first GPU in a very long time though so they're not used to gaming drivers.

Obviously Intel have been writing iGPU drivers for over 15 years but they only needed to be good enough to display Word, Excel, and a webbrowser etc. Gaming is a whole new ball game for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom