• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Soldato
One of the things that sticks with me about Raja and his GPU is his ambition, its a huge ambition, i'm sure its big enough to convince Intel just as it did AMD, they even decoupled the GPU segment, renamed it Radeon Technologies Group and put him as an independent head of it, its what he wanted.

As soon as he was out Lisa took a few Ryzen engineers over there with her and within just a few short months relaunched the iGPU architecture that was Vega at the time with a 50% performance per watt improvement on the same node, just by fiddling with it around the edges, his skill didn't match his ambition, Intel should give ARC to AMD, i'm sure they can fix it in a few weeks.
Lisa was right to do that, it certainly bore fruit. It seems she was also right to get rid of Raja and his team as we are now seeing (I'm sure the 'poor Volta' guys went with him given some of Intel's early marketing).

Soldato
A genuinely well produced insight to the A770 and ARC thinking by Intel put together by Linus, with Intel assistance of course. The tier approach to performance and price is very interesting as well, looking forward to seeing where they settle with the A770. I will say though, the card itself looks great.

Associate
So I watched the Linus video from end to end & if it's really going to come in cheap (definitely loss-making for Intel given the process & die size) & if the drivers are better than what we've seen so far at least for the most popular titles, there might be a place they can fit ?
But a whole video that's basically just caveats & apologies ? It's going to have to be really cheap to make sense.
The harsh reality is most titles are DX11 & below, even at the cutting edge. I also noticed a complete lack of power consumption discussion. I guess if they're aimed at mid-range but consuming power like a high-end AMD/ Upper mid NVidia card, then it's not the end of the world, but they'll have to be cheaper again.
And if you're doing productivity stuff ? eh, I wouldn't gamble.
All I can say after watching a video that was desperately trying to be honest but also positive is; they had better be very aggresviely priced.

Caporegime
So I watched the Linus video from end to end & if it's really going to come in cheap (definitely loss-making for Intel given the process & die size) & if the drivers are better than what we've seen so far at least for the most popular titles, there might be a place they can fit ?
But a whole video that's basically just caveats & apologies ? It's going to have to be really cheap to make sense.
The harsh reality is most titles are DX11 & below, even at the cutting edge. I also noticed a complete lack of power consumption discussion. I guess if they're aimed at mid-range but consuming power like a high-end AMD/ Upper mid NVidia card, then it's not the end of the world, but they'll have to be cheaper again.
And if you're doing productivity stuff ? eh, I wouldn't gamble.
All I can say after watching a video that was desperately trying to be honest but also positive is; they had better be very aggresviely priced.

Trying to be a little too positive, like having to run Re-Bar as a positive rather than telling it for what it is, a problem.

The daft little 'yay' and screen confetti at the "starting at £130 for the A380" as if that is something to cheer about, you can get better GPU's for the same sort of money from both their competitors, that's not a good start on the pricing. Some screen confetti makes it that tho right? :)

Associate
Trying to be a little too positive, like having to run Re-Bar as a positive rather than telling it for what it is, a problem.

The daft little 'yay' and screen confetti at the "starting at £130 for the A380" as if that is something to cheer about, you can get better GPU's for the same sort of money from both their competitors, that's not a good start on the pricing. Some screen confetti makes it that tho right? :)
Oh yeah, it was kind of gross, as well as their cheesy adverts they insert, which is why I never normally watch the channel. But I was trying to be fair & open minded.
I really hope these cards can at least be recommendable for a few players in certain circumstances. Otherwise, they've just wasted a bunch of TMSC's best node, haven't they ?

Caporegime
I do too we need the competition, but i'm already getting the impression these people with the two Intel guys hovering around are not just glossing over its problems but also up-selling the GPU's at prices that aren't much if any better than AMD and Nvidia.

I hope that's because they have those Intel guys in the room with them and not because they wish Intel too well, that's not competition, that's just fronting a third player who also wants to fleece us with a smile and silly graphics, no pun intended.

Caporegime
stil no word on if they can do ray tracing? they can't be worse th an AMD at it surely

They can. Its not great.

Well, the "we bought our own cards" reviews from those German sites are out:
Headline: "Intel Arc A380 im Test: Eine Woche zwischen Lachen und Weinen" (one week between laughing and crying)

01QTDbO.png

Then there's Igor's LAB

and Golem

Caporegime
doesn't seem that big a hit but a380 is pathetic anyway.
If a770 comes out quick enough and cheap enough I'm tempted to buy one tbh.
I don't really play any old games anyway so crap performance in older dx probably won't effect me

if the driver fixes are coming in august it probably means they are launching late august or September I'm guessing

Back
Top Bottom