• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Man of Honour
Its their first attempt though...

Yeah you would think so right. Only they have been producing igp for 20 years, badly I would agree but you would absolutely expect them to he able to scale and produce something that at least works. This is Intel we are talking about, a company with 10 or 15k software engineers and some of the sharpest minds in the industry when it comes to hardware.

On a better node than any competitor and in 2 years this is the best they can push out? First discreet card or not I think we can all agree this is not where they planned to be. Competing with 6400 for double the die area is super grim.

Associate
This feels like Vega in many ways, I suspect there's lot of area dedicated to compute in there that brings minimal benefits in games...

Man of Honour
This feels like Vega in many ways, I suspect there's lot of area dedicated to compute in there that brings minimal benefits in games...

I think it's the scheduler, they have die area dedicated to some special scheduling sauce which appears to be both costly in size and very possibly not working as it should. Then also the fixed function hardware that nobody will use.

Caporegime

What, very large, slow and problematic?

Yeah Vega was also Raja koduri's brain child.

Yeah you would think so right. Only they have been producing igp for 20 years, badly I would agree but you would absolutely expect them to he able to scale and produce something that at least works. This is Intel we are talking about, a company with 10 or 15k software engineers and some of the sharpest minds in the industry when it comes to hardware.

On a better node than any competitor and in 2 years this is the best they can push out? First discreet card or not I think we can all agree this is not where they planned to be. Competing with 6400 for double the die area is super grim.

Right exactly, lets not kid ourselves Intel have been producing GPU's and drivers for them for almost as long as AMD.

The Intel guy actually said "we have been the largest producer of GPU's for a long time" right so.....

Associate
What, very large, slow and problematic?

Yeah Vega was also Raja koduri's brain child.

Right exactly, lets not kid ourselves Intel have been producing GPU's and drivers for them for almost as long as AMD.

Well, let me put a small retort: Vega shined as mining cards, especially the Radeon VII.
RDNA got a good share of its improvement by throwing out most of unnecessary circuitry and focusing on what made gaming faster.

Caporegime
Well, let me put a small retort: Vega shined as mining cards, especially the Radeon VII.
RDNA got a good share of its improvement by throwing out most of unnecessary circuitry and focusing on what made gaming faster.

One of the things that sticks with me about Raja and his GPU is his ambition, its a huge ambition, i'm sure its big enough to convince Intel just as it did AMD, they even decoupled the GPU segment, renamed it Radeon Technologies Group and put him as an independent head of it, its what he wanted.

As soon as he was out Lisa took a few Ryzen engineers over there with her and within just a few short months relaunched the iGPU architecture that was Vega at the time with a 50% performance per watt improvement on the same node, just by fiddling with it around the edges, his skill didn't match his ambition, Intel should give ARC to AMD, i'm sure they can fix it in a few weeks.

G J

G J

Associate
What I remember I think Raja said that AMD was holding him back but its I think its clear for a long time now its not them as I wonder how much longer Intel will continue to entertain him.

I also agree with what Humbug and Vince said and I know its not 100% the same but Intel have been doing the driver game with their IGPU lineup for years now and I'm wondering how much untapped power my UHD 770 has. :cry:

Caporegime
What I remember I think Raja said that AMD was holding him back but its I think its clear for a long time now its not them as I wonder how much longer Intel will continue to entertain him.

I also agree with what Humbug and Vince said and I know its not 100% the same but Intel have been doing the driver game with their IGPU lineup for years now and I'm wondering how much untapped power my UHD 770 has. :cry:

Give it to Jenson or Lisa, they will have it running Crysis in a jiffy.....

Soldato
Its their first attempt though...

thats not quite true, they have tried before and its not got much further than whispers and murmurings in the wild.

Four years ago, Intel announced its intention to re-enter the space after a 24-year absence with the i740.

Forbes above quoted 24 years in their article I thought it was less and there was that prototype thing floating about on the bay I keep coming across it.

Associate
ComputerBase is not impressed with the Arc A380 to say it mildly! :eek:
https://www-computerbase-de.transla...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=da&_x_tr_pto=wapp

“Gaming with Intel’s Arc A380, even with the latest driver, is like living in the middle of a minefield while playing drunk”
"It is completely incomprehensible how a large and reputable company like Intel can sell such a product to even a single customer."
"intel Arc without rBAR is simple unplayable"

Back
Top Bottom