• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Soldato
I'm trying to use the Powershell script to check a couple of PC's but I can't set the "Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned" it says the setting is "overridden by a policy defined by a more specific scope".

What am I doing wrong?

E: Working now, must have missed something out before.

Last edited:
Associate
hey everyone.

so I have a non k 6400 with an f6 custom bios on my GB z170 so I can overclock it..how urgent is doing this MB bios update as I believe I will lose my OC ability if i update the bios.
I only game and browse the net.

I understand this 'bug' has been out for a while now so how real is the threat in being compromised now after all this time?..are the chances higher now than they were before?

thanks
david
Yes much higher, as now this vulnerability is well known so many people are likely to try and exploit it. While fixes may be made for many systems, huge numbers will not get patched so it's still worth building malware etc for known vulnerabilities.

I assume you normally install security patches? If not then the risk isn't hugely different to what you're running all the time, though I'd never suggest anyone doesn't install security patches without a good reason.

Soldato
given up on Asus updates move on gone Asrock amd setup

There were quotes on the Asus Rog forums from staff saying they were working back and aimed to have Haswell updates by end of Feb, then Broadwell, and others next. I guess Asus have a lot of boards to do new BIOSes for, as they've put out so many products in the last five or six years.

Soldato
Yeh it seems most manufacturers are starting with the newest boards and are moving back, can't really expect them to all to be done so soon and they've gotta start somewhere..

Gigabyte released on for mine (z170 k3) last Thursday.. Not got round to updating it yet though.

Soldato
hi, Just downloaded bios update for my motherboard. If i update is there anyway of keeping my overclock? or will i need to reply because of a newer bios version?

You will lose the settings when it updates. So I'd write it down if you can.

You may also be able to save the profile to a USB stick.

Have a look in your BIOS for options to do this.

Capodecina
Soldato
Response from Gigabyte in answer to my query about a new BIOS for the GA-Z97X-SLI (1.0) or possibly the Z270N AC WiFi motherboard, I have no idea which, I asked about both:
Sorry but we are waiting the patch from Intel. We will publish the BIOS on Gigabyte website once it ready.

Soldato
Lol

So glad I ditched my 4770k a few months back :)

Hopefully they'll sort those issues asap, and focus on an architecture that's more secure while still performing well

Mobster
Soldato
anyone know what the performance hits will be ? looking to buy an 8700k for an additional setup but dont want to if its going to be crippled in anyway

Soldato
OP
anyone know what the performance hits will be ? looking to buy an 8700k for an additional setup but dont want to if its going to be crippled in anyway
Mostly server side that's hit, you'll be fine

Edit:

That's not to say that there might be no further problems from it later on though

Associate
Back
Top Bottom