• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i7-11700K beats Ryzen 9 5950X by 8% in Geekbench 5 single-core benchmark

Associate
I imagine if Intel are successful in getting software developers (not game developers) to implement more AVX-512 instructions, it won't matter how many additional cores AMD have, as they'll simply not be able to use the more efficient, faster AVX path.

Or those apps will accelerate with the GPU instead, which is far more capable and a better fit for stuff like tensorflow.

V F

V F

Soldato
Bingo

Dave doesn't realise that Apple's M1 is busy eating his Intel lunch - I feel sorry for anyone who recently bought an Intel based laptop/MacBook cause your devices has been pwnd by the M1

Power Mac to Intel transition all over again.

Soldato
Rocket lake not going to be around for very long

it's replacement is already showing up in Geekbench

Alder Lake-S Core i9 12900k engineering sample: 8 big cores, 8 small cores, 30mb Cache

https://wccftech.com/intel-12th-gen-10nm-alder-lake-s-16-core-24-thread-desktop-cpu-spotted/

We know Rocket lake is coming in March and going by the fact we're already getttibf 12th gen ES show up, Alder Lake-S will arrive to replace Rocket lake 6 months later - it's the 7700k/8700knqll over again

At this point someone would be almost certified crazy to buy Rocket lake when its replacement arrives in 6 months or less later with ddr5 and pcie5

Associate
Bingo

Dave doesn't realise that Apple's M1 is busy eating his Intel lunch - I feel sorry for anyone who recently bought an Intel based laptop/MacBook cause your devices has been pwnd by the M1
Honestly i think Apple are the only company that could have pulled this off. Rumours of a 32 core chip for the imac and Mac Pro are going to blow everything out the water when it comes to production tasks i believe

Associate
Rocket lake not going to be around for very long

it's replacement is already showing up in Geekbench

Alder Lake-S Core i9 12900k engineering sample: 8 big cores, 8 small cores, 30mb Cache

https://wccftech.com/intel-12th-gen-10nm-alder-lake-s-16-core-24-thread-desktop-cpu-spotted/

We know Rocket lake is coming in March and going by the fact we're already getttibf 12th gen ES show up, Alder Lake-S will arrive to replace Rocket lake 6 months later - it's the 7700k/8700knqll over again

At this point someone would be almost certified crazy to buy Rocket lake when its replacement arrives in 6 months or less later with ddr5 and pcie5

Waiting an extra 6 months to pay stupid money for slow first generation DDR5? Now that's crazy.
Especially with Intel's track record on 10nm.
In 9 months time will you be saying wait another 6 months for Zen 4? :)
As for PCIe 5.0, the upgrades are becoming even less relevant unless you are after bragging rights or need it for a workstation.
People seem to be buying based on numbers these days rather than meaningful real world usage.

Soldato
OP
Honestly i think Apple are the only company that could have pulled this off. Rumours of a 32 core chip for the imac and Mac Pro are going to blow everything out the water when it comes to production tasks i believe

Grim doesn't realize that many buy PC's for gaming and many despise all things Apple.

Associate
Grim doesn't realize that many buy PC's for gaming and many despise all things Apple.
You keep switching from gaming to productivity. You start odd saying Intel for gaming because of AVX 512, people then point out AVX 512 is not used in games so you list a load of productivity apps that use AVX 512 then people point out that people using these are likely to go Apple so you switch back to a gaming argument

Associate
AMD literally cannot produce enough CPU's to take a 10% share of the overall CPU market. They have no fabs, so have to ask TSMC to make their CPU's for them. TSMC are in demand by everyone, so the amount of wafers AMD get is relatively small.

I think your confusing those mindfactory sales graphs with the overall world sales? Mindfactory are just one enthusiast style retailer in Germany, their sales don't reflect the entire world of consumer, business, server, datacentre, embedded and all the other segments. Intel still sells millions more CPU's than AMD buddy.

I can tell you though that the tech company I work for (80k employees...) is switching direction to using AMD based servers instead of Intel for our hardware based server/products.

Soldato
OP
You keep switching from gaming to productivity. You start odd saying Intel for gaming because of AVX 512, people then point out AVX 512 is not used in games so you list a load of productivity apps that use AVX 512 then people point out that people using these are likely to go Apple so you switch back to a gaming argument

Learn to read, it will help you. I said AVX is a bonus that you get for free, which is always nice to get. Nowhere did I say that I'm basing my next CPU purchase on AVX-512 support, I'm basing it on gaming performance. I suppose that's why you didn't quote me saying this, as the post literally doesn't exist.

AVX-512 is just a nice free addition, like getting some extra's included for 'free' with a brand new car etc.

Associate
Learn to read, it will help you. I said AVX is a bonus that you get for free, which is always nice to get. Nowhere did I say that I'm basing my next CPU purchase on AVX-512 support, I'm basing it on gaming performance. I suppose that's why you didn't quote me saying this, as the post literally doesn't exist.

AVX-512 is just a nice free addition, like getting some extra's included for 'free' with a brand new car etc.

You have a habit of that don't you. People pick flaws in your argument so you belittle them with statements like "learn to read" I have seen you say things like that more than once in this thread. Are you a bit of a bully in the real world or do you just lack the intelligence to converse with people whom have opposing views?

Associate
As an 8C/16T piece, unless the price is competitive with the 5800X it's a bad deal, whether or not you can squeeze out a couple of FPS in an unrealistic gaming benchmark1080p with a 3090... or get AVX512 "for free", even though it's pretty useless in the face of GPU/CUDA processing.

In fact I'd say that about the 11900. The 11700 isn't even a 16T piece.

Soldato
. They have no fabs,

People forget amd had a fab or probably still does as in global foundaries. When amd was going bankrupt from the lashing intel and nvidia were giving them they decided to split the fab portion off so they don't loose everything when they go under.
Amd doesnt seem to use gloflo much but its sly tactic to hog tsmc resources otherwise nvidia and others would use that tsmc portion allocated to amd and hammer amd with actual stock.

Permabanned
AMD uses GlobalFoundries for the IO die on all of its Ryzen, Threadripper and EPYC processors.
Navi 3X are rumoured to also have such IO die which depending on the design choices, can also go to GloFo's 12nm process.
Because they have nothing newer and stopped the development.

Also, GloFo produces some graphics cards, like the Radeon RX 580.

Soldato
You have a habit of that don't you. People pick flaws in your argument so you belittle them with statements like "learn to read" I have seen you say things like that more than once in this thread. Are you a bit of a bully in the real world or do you just lack the intelligence to converse with people whom have opposing views?

More likely an internet Troll and fanboy, or even worse blinkered to the alternatives available and in denial.

They'll also have no skin in the game, and be another one of these people that buys a single item every 5 years+ but shouts louder to try and stay relevant.

Not worth your time, just /ignore and let them blather to themselves. :)

Associate
More likely an internet Troll and fanboy, or even worse blinkered to the alternatives available and in denial.

They'll also have no skin in the game, and be another one of these people that buys a single item every 5 years+ but shouts louder to try and stay relevant.

Not worth your time, just /ignore and let them blather to themselves. :)
Good Advice :)

Associate
Ahh Intel at the cutting edge of technology using a 14nm process stretched to its absolute limit (which by the way i will give them props for)
but wait... intel has a new architecture ... the last new one was over 400 years ago

This one will decimate AMD by being... er pretty much the same IPC.. which is a problem as Intel cannot clock the ******** off the 14nm Process. Or the 10 for that matter.
So intel remains kings of the cpu world with a high performance 8 core 16 thread cpu which is within what??? 3% of AMDs 16 cores in single thread performance..

Whoop dee dooooo intel what a comeback. i am jerking off to it right now.

Associate
Disappointed as I've already bought by 5900x but not surprised. I can only imagine the bloodbath that will happen when their fabs are in order. At least now that I have a PC, I can really wait next time.

Intel does suck and has for a while now. Forced motherboard upgrades, high power draw and a decade of 4 core stagnation.

Competition is good we now have it.
How come? AMD has increased their prices and I don't certainly feel that way. Seems like AMD will screw over the customer any chance they get

Associate
How come? AMD has increased their prices and I don't certainly feel that way. Seems like AMD will screw over the customer any chance they get

In Fairness AMD raised the prices, why, well simply put their product is now superior so why not charge a small premium extra, from a business perspective makes sense. AMD are also driving innovation forward so the R&D outlay need to be recouped somehow plus. Also AMD has largely stuck with the same socket and support for the chipsets for years now. Granted X370 support has been dropped from the 5000 series but X570 supports 2000, 3000 and 5000 series while X470 supports 1000, 2000, 3000 and 5000 series CPU's/ Tell me the last time Intel provided chipset support over 4 or even 3 generations. This is why i have chosen AMD and why i will stick with them till Intel start innovating again and providing support for CPUs and chipsets over multiple generations. I have no problem paying for the extra performance

Soldato
In Fairness AMD raised the prices, why, well simply put their product is now superior so why not charge a small premium extra, from a business perspective makes sense. AMD are also driving innovation forward so the R&D outlay need to be recouped somehow plus. Also AMD has largely stuck with the same socket and support for the chipsets for years now. Granted X370 support has been dropped from the 5000 series but X570 supports 2000, 3000 and 5000 series while X470 supports 1000, 2000, 3000 and 5000 series CPU's/ Tell me the last time Intel provided chipset support over 4 or even 3 generations. This is why i have chosen AMD and why i will stick with them till Intel start innovating again and providing support for CPUs and chipsets over multiple generations. I have no problem paying for the extra performance
This is a totally fair and objective assessment and on the point of "AMD will screw the customer any chance they get", this is what Intel have been doing for years with drip feed improvements year upon year, yet charging a premium for quad core CPU's and anything with 8 cores or more was way out of reach for the majority.

Besides, from 'our' point of view it feels like we're being screwed over because we can't get it as cheap as we would like but this is how business' operate. There really is no point criticising AMD unless you are going to include most large tech companies; if you are delivering what is considered the best then you charge a premium for that.

On the topic of single threaded performance, I'll have to wait and see and test for myself as I find benchmarks can be wildly inaccurate when it comes to the real world, single threaded apps (or not fully multithreaded) that I use. For example, in Cinebench R20 the difference between my 9700k @ 5.3Ghz and my 3950X is less than 5% in favour of the 9700k. Though when I run PIPP (astrophotography software) the difference is more than 30% in favour of the 9700K.

I'm waiting for the 5000 series bios to drop for my X470 to see what the 'real' state of play is there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom