• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i7-11700K beats Ryzen 9 5950X by 8% in Geekbench 5 single-core benchmark

Associate

1% faster than my 5800X on single core and 4.5% slower on multi core.
Geekbench 5 uses AVX-512, which can makes Intel's scores little higher as only Rocket Lake supports it.

So at best Intel has maybe caught up on single core. Looks like CPU market will be exciting over next few years as I'm sure they will go back and forth.

Associate
@MartinPrince let me know when you get yours. So far my 9900k has handled tuned 5800x’s in anything gaming related outside of some cache happy things like cs:go. I’ll be getting a 11900k so it’ll be interesting to test against someone with a tuned system on zen3. Just have to wait for z590 apex.

Soldato
OP
More good news!

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-i9-11900k-rocket-lake-s-cpu-z-benchmark-score-leaks

The Core i9-11900K allegedly scores 695.4 points in the single-threaded CPU-Z benchmark which is 19% faster than Core i9-10900K in the same test. The CP also appears to be 13% faster in the multi-threaded benchmark (6522 vs 5765 points), despite featuring fewer cores.

In comparison to Ryzen 9 5950X, considered the fastest CPU in the Vermeer (Zen3) series, the leaked score puts Core i9-11900K faster by nearly 3% in a single-threaded benchmark, but AMD’s flagship 16-core CPU is still 90% faster in the multi-threaded benchmark.

According to the latest rumors, Intel is set to announce its 11th Gen Core series at CES 2021, but the CPUs are not expected to be available till the end of March or maybe even early April. According to Uniko’s Hardware, the series will be officially released on 15th March (which is probably the embargo for reviews).

Really nice stock ST score, this is going to dominate in games, especially if it can overclock!

Probably high power consumption, though as with Nvidia's 3000 series, people don't care as long as the performance is there ;)

P.S. Imagine the performance when/if Intel eventually release a 10nm/7nm CPU.... Will literally make Ryzen look like Bulldozer again :D Though perhaps they'll be on 14nm for the next 10 years, who knows LOL

Caporegime
More good news!

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-i9-11900k-rocket-lake-s-cpu-z-benchmark-score-leaks

Really nice stock ST score, this is going to dominate in games, especially if it can overclock!

Probably high power consumption, though as with Nvidia's 3000 series, people don't care as long as the performance is there ;)

P.S. Imagine the performance when/if Intel eventually release a 10nm/7nm CPU.... Will literally make Ryzen look like Bulldozer again :D Though perhaps they'll be on 14nm for the next 10 years, who knows LOL
Not bad Dave, not bad. But you'll need better to beat the 5950X with PBO. :)
159i3kW.png

Caporegime
More good news!

"Dominate in games" and "Will literally make Ryzen look like Bulldozer again".

You're a funny guy :D

Soldato
OP
Not bad Dave, not bad. But you'll need better to beat the 5950X with PBO. :)
159i3kW.png

Stock for the 5950X appears to be around 662 for ST CPU-Z, yours must be overclocked.

If the 11900K is getting 695 at stock, it should be able to get much more than 662 when overclocked and given tuned fast memory etc. We'll see!

5950X for £850 is also going to be much more expensive than the I9 I assume.

Caporegime
Stock for the 5950X appears to be around 662 for ST CPU-Z, yours must be overclocked.

If the 11900K is getting 695 at stock, it should be able to get much more than 662 when overclocked and given tuned fast memory etc. We'll see!

5950X for £850 is also going to be much more expensive than the I9 I assume.
I've not manually overclocked it, just enabled PBO and tuned it using curve optimizer which undervolts it allowing higher single core and all core boost frequencies.

I'd be surprised if these new Intel CPUs can beat a turned 3rd gen Ryzen to be honest, but we'll see.

I've actually scored higher CPU-Z score than that but just finished a long benching session.

Soldato
OP
I've not manually overclocked it, just enabled PBO and tuned it using curve optimizer which undervolts it allowing higher single core and all core boost frequencies.

I'd be surprised if these new Intel CPUs can beat a turned 3rd gen Ryzen to be honest, but we'll see.

I've actually scored higher CPU-Z score than that but just finished a long benching session.

PBO overclock seems mighty impressive!

Really excited to see overclocked comparisons in games.

Soldato
OP
How many years behind are they on this now?
Like said up-thread, this has got so bad we now have major investors (hedge fund with $1b in stock) calling for the company to split because it's so far behind.

10nm was due to launch in 2017 originally.

Intel won't split - their revenues have been increasing year on year, as AMD lack the manufacturing to make enough Ryzen CPU's to take any significant business revenue away from Intel.

I doubt AMD will ever regain the position they have currently... In a few months, Rocket Lake will restore the gaming performance crown. A few months after that, we'll have Alder Lake that will likely take the multi-thread performance crown from AMD also.

Remember that Jim Keller left AMD, Zen3 was the last design he worked on. Probably the bulldozer team that's developing the AM5 platform.

V F

V F

Soldato
10nm was due to launch in 2017 originally.

Intel won't split - their revenues have been increasing year on year, as AMD lack the manufacturing to make enough Ryzen CPU's to take any significant business revenue away from Intel.

I doubt AMD will ever regain the position they have currently... In a few months, Rocket Lake will restore the gaming performance crown. A few months after that, we'll have Alder Lake that will likely take the multi-thread performance crown from AMD also.

Remember that Jim Keller left AMD, Zen3 was the last design he worked on. Probably the bulldozer team that's developing the AM5 platform.

It's still sadly 8 core. How do you go i9 10 core then i9 8 core. Everybody is wanting fast and more cores. You're supposed to improve with improvements. Not give more then take away.

Soldato
It's still sadly 8 core. How do you go i9 10 core then i9 8 core. Everybody is wanting fast and more cores. You're supposed to improve with improvements. Not give more then take away.
It really is quite an obvious move from Intel. They really can't compete in the multi-core, multi-threaded realm so why bother. That crown is clearly Ryzen's and has been for some time. It's better to stay where they can at least be competitive and that is in non fully multithread games and apps.

Therefore it is better to drop the 2 cores and push as much as they can into getting the most out of 8 cores, especially as they're still ringing the last drops out of the same node.

Last edited:
Associate
Intel won't split - their revenues have been increasing year on year,

If their investors are losing confidence they may have to. It's 2021 tomorrow, intel's 10nm is 4 years overdue and the state of the art is now 5nm.

Ryzen is already making incursions into the server room. Apple is ditching them.

Keller is not a wizard, plus he left AMD in 2015, so I would be surprised if he had a lot of input into Zen 3.

Intel is last year's tech.

Caporegime
It really is quite an obvious move from Intel. They really can't compete in the multi-core, multi-threaded realm so why bother. That crown is clearly Ryzen's and has been for some time. It's better to stay where they can at least be competitive and that is in non fully multithread games and apps.

Therefore is is better to drop the 2 cores and push as much as they can into getting the most out of 8 cores, especially as they're still ringing the last drops out of the same node.

Its a pretty small niche to chase. Hopefilly there's very few people daft enough to buy the "fastest gaming CPU" nonsense when the price is half the cores and twice the power usage and the advantage is only there in 1080P benches with a powerful GPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
This dave guy is a bit unusual eh.

How can anyone see excitement in these top cpus. What is exactly going to be the awesome result we see? Surely it will be something like a case of one cpu getting 360fps in CsGo and one getting 380.

Wowee.

People spend 1500-2000 on a cpu and a gpu then they play a game at 1080p a bit faster than someone on a 6 month older cpu?

Lol.

Associate
All of my previous CPU have been Intel. I last moved from an i7 3770K to a 7700K and hated every second of it. Received my 5900K on Boxing Day and I'm thrilled with it! Years of overpricing and underwhelming generational updates along with tech. security breaches and chip performance cuts mean it didn't take much for me to swap brands and go with what is currently my best option in the market. AMD is leading right now. If I was building a PC four months from now I may not have gone the same way but that's not the case. Dumb, pointless fanboy thread.

Associate
I've bought two 8CX powered professional laptops this year for daughter and wife, paired with 16gb ram and 512gb ssd , my ryzen 5 laptop doesn't touch it for snapiness , battery life or performance (when native) it runs all x86 apps under emulation very well and the only pitfall is x64 emulation which MS is due to pushing an update out for. The GPU is even handier then anything Intel puts out. Arm will take over the mobile space in its entirety leaving data centre and desktop/workstations which I'm sure in another decade will be completed under threat
This is a good point. I have been really impressed with my Surface Pro X, admittedly replacing a Surface Pro 4 but ARM is surely the future for most laptops.

Back
Top Bottom