• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

Man of Honour
Wow. Just realised how much the 7950X3D has gone up since I bought it - I paid £469.99 from OcUK in June, it's now on offer at £569.99.

The price on CPUs is all over the place at the moment - since I posted that they are currently available today from £500 from somewhere reputable.

Man of Honour
I've noticed some big discounts on Z790 & B760 boards lately, alongside AMD boards creeping up in price, maybe my imagination, but wouldn't be surprised if the negative publicity is hitting sales.

Associate
Wow. Just realised how much the 7950X3D has gone up since I bought it - I paid £469.99 from OcUK in June, it's now on offer at £569.99.
I've managed to get mine for £430, brand new, from reputable seller, with normal warranty etc. :) They have gone up since. Board prices also went up, got mine for £180, now it's £230 in same place...

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been running mine at 5.8 all core with about 1.35v max since day one with no power constraints (I do have uber good cooling though) and its as solid as ever. I played the first descendant (which is heavy on the CPU) for nearly 5 hours straight the other and not a zero hiccup.
I cant remember the last time my PC crashed tbh..
Are you sure you have the correct first vowel in your username?!

But with failure at anything from 3% to 30%, getting a bad one is still a matter of (bad) luck. Well except for those born under a bad sign, of course.

If turning off TVB reduced the Warcraft server failures from 30% down to 5% - at least when running with DDR5-3600 - then TVB must be fatally broken.

Just have to wait for someone to run a full benchmark suite at those settings.

Soldato

Classic Jay jumping on the bandwagon while adding nothing of value

I did like the Intel Terminator meme at the end though , should shop Gelsinger's face onto it :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm of a similar opinion when it comes to the voltages until more information comes to light, these CPUs are running peaks of double the Intel "7" 10nm characterised voltage which is also similar for other comparable nodes (it is usual for products to be running like 30-40% above that).

I don't have one of these chips, but from observation, mainly tech jurnoes i see them running 1.5v or even a smidge above that in heavy MT workloads, i've even commented on it here, saying its utterly insane, its mental, and was told i don't know what i'm talking about.

Look, my CPU in low stress workloads will run up to 4.9 Ghz at about 1.5v, its low stress boosting, its done that for 4 years its obviously not hurting it, but if i put the MT stress on it the voltage drops all the way down to about 1.3v and the clocks are about 4.6 Ghz, there are options in the BIOS that allow me to override that behaviour, even on a granular level i can set by how much to override that behaviour right up to and including run the same 1.5v and 4.9 Ghz no matter what, effectively that Asus thing that on Intel CPU's turns the low core stress boost to all boost always, MCE... that's it... i forgot until i typed that out...

Now i've seen that in my BIOS, you have to unlock it behind a fat warning... and i've played with it slightly out of curiosity, only enough to see a noticeable difference and at that point i was already no.... no no no this is idiotic, i need my CPU to last more than 6 weeks!
-----------

Anyway, here is Windell, again, talking about the fat elephant in the room everyone trying to avoid noticing, Memory Speeds...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom