• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

Soldato
Yeah, that would make sense. There's a rumour they even fired their validation team, which if true, clearly worked out great for them!

TBH I don’t think it would have made much difference. Intels designs are just being pushed to hard and are way overdue retirement at his point.

Soldato
Der Bauer has further input on this if you have not seen it:

His explanation of electromigration is some of the best coverage yet. Certain individuals in here should watch it to better understand how voltage and current are intrinsically related.

Associate
Your point being?
I guess he is saying that some people on here don't understand how voltage and current are intrinsically related and might be educated if they watch that video. :p

My degree included sections on digital and analogue electronics, but I reckon I fall into "some people" as well. :cry:

Edit: Without any Googling, I think volts are how fast the current is pushed and current is how much is being pushed. I liken it to a tap in your house vs mains pressure out on the road. Like I say though, this isn't my area of skill at all. :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I guess he is saying that some people on here don't understand how voltage and current are intrinsically related and might be educated if they watch that video. :p

My degree included sections on digital and analogue electronics, but I reckon I fall into "some people" as well. :cry:

Edit: Without any Googling, I think volts are how fast the current is pushed and current is how much is being pushed. I liken it to a tap in your house vs mains pressure out on the road. Like I say though, this isn't my area of skill at all. :(

This is in context to how component failure happens - which is principally related to current and power dissipation, but is a bit more complicated than simply voltage goes up = current goes up because you also get constant power load situations around things like voltage regulators and control/feedback loops, etc. where lower voltage = higher current and in droop situations can result in current outside of spec.

One of the problems, though not sure if the fundamental issue here, seems to be a bug in the microcode resulting in excess voltage incompatible with the thermal situation, which potentially also violates current and power regulation. What isn't clear is whether the CPUs actually need that excess voltage or not - one situation is an easy fix which may or may not involve a small performance drop, the other means Intel is going to have to replace a lot of CPUs (as some won't be able to meet spec even at a small performance drop).

Last edited:
Associate
My guess is some CPUs can be saved if they act now and fix the high voltage spikes but those that have been used for too long or are at the lower end of the "binning" spectrum will need to be replaced.

How you can figure out which is which will be the interesting point and this could have major consequences for the future retail value of all systems with 13th and 14th gen CPUs.

Man of Honour
My guess is some CPUs can be saved if they act now and fix the high voltage spikes but those that have been used for too long or are at the lower end of the "binning" spectrum will need to be replaced.

How you can figure out which is which will be the interesting point and this could have major consequences for the future retail value of all systems with 13th and 14th gen CPUs.

We still don't know what the problem is, tech journalists have speculated various causes with varying levels of evidence, Intel has put out vague statements which tend to hand wave at issues affecting some products but not committing to these issues being the main cause, etc. or if there even is a main cause.

A lot of people seem to be running away with ideas on this situation as if fact, while nothing has really been established yet.

Will be interesting to see what Gamer's Nexus comes up with using the failure analysis lab but that doesn't necessarily cover the whole story depending on what they come up with i.e. it could just be evidence of how some are dying without necessarily confirming the whole situation or they might find a fundamental design flaw.

Soldato

That American System Integrator (SI) whose incoming QA was failing such a huge percentage is the answer:

Anyone doing volume is unlikely to spend days testing CPUs (yes they could do so in parallel but how many test rigs would they need?), therefore they probably have testing software.

UE5 is all very well, but what this needs is a tool you run and a few minutes later it tells you yah or nay.

I wouldn't surprised if Intel have such a program. And that's what they should to regain some trust:
1. Have this tool available on a new web page.
2. Tool says nay, please enter your details to start an RMA.

Man of Honour
That American System Integrator (SI) whose incoming QA was failing such a huge percentage is the answer:

Anyone doing volume is unlikely to spend days testing CPUs (yes they could do so in parallel but how many test rigs would they need?), therefore they probably have testing software.

UE5 is all very well, but what this needs is a tool you run and a few minutes later it tells you yah or nay.

I wouldn't surprised if Intel have such a program. And that's what they should to regain some trust:
1. Have this tool available on a new web page.
2. Tool says nay, please enter your details to start an RMA.

Something which complicates this - there seems to be two either variations of the problem or overlapping problems as some CPUs seem to be faulty out the box, others degrading over time and even if a mitigation is released there are probably CPUs in an intermediate state of degradation which wouldn't necessarily fail immediately even if that can be detected at a later date.

And while the there is some overlap with symptoms it doesn't seem to be entirely straightforward.

I also find it weird that 13900s have been out awhile without any real reports of this issue then it explodes with the 14900.

Last edited:
Associate
This is in context to how component failure happens - which is principally related to current and power dissipation, but is a bit more complicated than simply voltage goes up = current goes up because you also get constant power load situations around things like voltage regulators and control/feedback loops, etc. where lower voltage = higher current and in droop situations can result in current outside of spec.

One of the problems, though not sure if the fundamental issue here, seems to be a bug in the microcode resulting in excess voltage incompatible with the thermal situation, which potentially also violates current and power regulation. What isn't clear is whether the CPUs actually need that excess voltage or not - one situation is an easy fix which may or may not involve a small performance drop, the other means Intel is going to have to replace a lot of CPUs (as some won't be able to meet spec even at a small performance drop).
lets just image that they do need to replace them, what are they going to replace them with? more of the same?

Man of Honour
lets just image that they do need to replace them, what are they going to replace them with? more of the same?

We don't yet even know the scale of the issue and/or whether it can be mitigated at software (microcode) level or not so a bit of an open question.

I would say maybe Bartlett CPUs but they seem awhile off yet and an assumption they aren't impacted, though Intel appear to have made a change in direction there possibly indicating they were aware of something...

Associate
We don't yet even know the scale of the issue and/or whether it can be mitigated at software (microcode) level or not so a bit of an open question.

I would say maybe Bartlett CPUs but they seem awhile off yet and an assumption they aren't impacted, though Intel appear to have made a change in direction there possibly indicating they were aware of something...
there was a report somewhere from Minecraft server provider stating on 13 and 14th gen intel cpus, there was 100% failure rate or something to that effect. you are right we don't know the scale, but that doesnt matter really does it? why would scale ever matter to the point of replacement. still doesnt change the fact that people are and will be affected and so my point still stands, what do they replace them with? more of the same? cpu development is done years in advance and so its not like they can just pull the next gen of the pipeline, its likely not even made yet. still going through testing or whatever

Last edited:
Man of Honour
there was a report somewhere from Minecraft server provider stating on 13 and 14th gen intel cpus, there was 100% failure rate or something to that effect. you are right we don't know the scale, but that doesnt matter really does it? why would scale ever matter to the point of replacement. still doesnt change the fact that people are and will be affected and so my point still stands, what do they replace them with? more of the same? cpu development is done years in advance and so its not like they can just pull the next gen of the pipeline, its likely not even made yet. sitll going through testing or whatever

We still don't know how much may or may not be related to batches of the CPUs, etc. even a lot of these reports are quite vague and based on best case interpretation of data which may or may not tell the whole story.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who does any significant hosting of Minecraft let alone on 14900s to see what the wider take is on that, those I do are using Skylake based Xeons still.

Back
Top Bottom