• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

Whoever anyone bought 13/14th gen systems from should be offering a full refund without question at this point.

Looks like for Intel 12th gen was peak "Intel". Not sure what I'll do next board upgrade, likely go X3D assuming there are zero AMD driver woes too.

Whoever anyone bought 13/14th gen systems from should be offering a full refund without question at this point.

Looks like for Intel 12th gen was peak "Intel". Not sure what I'll do next board upgrade, likely go X3D assuming there are zero AMD driver woes too.
Lots of company's still selling the 13K and 14K gen cpu's, strange.

Matt from Alderon games posted on Reddit earlier that 14600K’s are affected too just rarer than i7/i9 issues.

As is the 13700T which is a 35W part.

Looks like something is degrading fast but using more restrained settings helps slow it down hence why i5s are not as impacted, then i7s and i9s are the worst. Would not be surprised if i5s start showing more issues in the next year or 2 as they degrade enough to become unstable.

Looks like something is degrading fast but using more restrained settings helps slow it down hence why i5s are not as impacted, then i7s and i9s are the worst. Would not be surprised if i5s start showing more issues in the next year or 2 as they degrade enough to become unstable.

There seems to be two presentations of it - as some CPUs will straight up fault out on certain operations every time right out the box, others start to become progressively less stable at certain things over time.

Personally until there is proper information I'm leaning towards Intel pushing the voltage profile of these CPUs too far with some being edge cases out the box with some motherboards then exposing that weakness more. As while I'm not looped into Intel's design progress and there are a lot of factors there the voltages these chips are designed around is way outside of what other comparable nodes are specced for.

In one of the reddit threads there are several 13600K users who have issues and one with a 13400 (with the B0, raptor lake die). One poster suggested that early manufactured CPUs don't have any issues, it is only after a certain date, which would be interesting if confirmed.

In one of the reddit threads there are several 13600K users who have issues and one with a 13400 (with the B0, raptor lake die). One poster suggested that early manufactured CPUs don't have any issues, it is only after a certain date, which would be interesting if confirmed.

I'm not sure how many reports are actually of this issue or people just having issues due to part compatibility or misconfiguration, etc.

For example people forget that Meteor Lake is only rated for up to DDR5 5600 MT and even if faster RAM appears to be stable with XMP settings, etc. there is no guarantee it fully is.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many reports are actually of this issue or people just having issues due to part compatibility or misconfiguration, etc.
I think they were referring to the specific symptoms that have been publicised (like with running UE5 games), but yeah, there will be some degree of misreporting.

Matt from Alderon games posted on Reddit earlier that 14600K’s are affected too just rarer than i7/i9 issues.
While it seems he's been on 24 hour a day Reddit mission the last few days but:
• Are i5-14600Ks affected by the rapid degradation of the i7s and i9s?
Matt_AlderonGames replied to pottitheri 9 hr. ago

I spent 4 months on it and even with extremely low settings we still had to give up attempting to fix the problem. If you can't figure it out RMA would be my best suggestion.

Though they might just send you back a faulty CPU with the RMA...

Buildzoid is trying to debug this atm and might have more info on things to try.
Okay, 4 months with no resolution and maybe coming to the conclusion that Intel are not treating customers seriously? Well after deciding to go public, I'm sure he had plenty to say after 4 whole months!
r/intel • Intel has a Pretty Big Problem
Matt_AlderonGames replied to kalston 16 hr. ago

We are using Unreal Engine 5 now. Lot of the bigger devs were scared to damage buisness relationship coming forward with intel with this one. As a self published indie company, I don't care what they think of my buisness relationship with them, if they are selling a defective product they have to RMA it.

Luckily the warframe devs came out too and more devs are doing tests now.
I guess the good news is that once one person rocks the boat and gets enough coverage they can longer ignore them - and being blacklisted is probably mostly a big concern for media hacks, and not indie publishers.
Matt_AlderonGames replied to hunter54711 18 hr. ago

All they need to do is setup a 'no questions asked' RMA policy for repair, return, refund, replacement. Saying nothing other then 'we are working on it please wait, and its been 5 months is not good.
Yes, saying nothing may be cheap but has huge long term costs, especially since
Matt_AlderonGames replied to Bob4Not 18 hr. ago

I'm glad you were able to get a return. I have been dealing with intel rejecting my RMAs.
Looks like they might not first in the queue to buy Arrow Lake:
Matt_AlderonGames replied to Sad-Switch-7679 18 hr. ago

Even though Arrow Lake might use a different process and not be affected by the same problem, at least on my side the trust is gone for buying any more Intel processors. If they come out with a CPU that benchmarks better then a AMD CPU. I'm still buying AMD because I trust they will RMA the CPU if it fails.

AMD at full pelt hasn't got enough wafer capacity to supply all of the market. This is why even with the Pentium 4 Intel overall still sold more CPUs. Even with these issues, Intel might sell less CPUs but they will still sell a significant amount.

Yes and we know they were threatening oems not to use amd or they would cut off their supply, companies like DELL didn't offer any type of amd cpu for years even though at that point the amd cpu was by far superior to the P4 offerings. That also factors into why so many stuck with intel and why they sold more.

Yes and we know they were threatening oems not to use amd or they would cut off their supply, companies like DELL didn't offer any type of amd cpu for years even though at that point the amd cpu was by far superior to the P4 offerings. That also factors into why so many stuck with intel and why they sold more.
Not sure about the rest of the corporate world but all the local authority here's PC's were all replaced last year they're all Dell and they're all Intel its like AMD doesn't exist. Corporate licences really are dinosaurs massive and slow to change

Not sure about the rest of the corporate world but all the local authority here's PC's were all replaced last year they're all Dell and they're all Intel its like AMD doesn't exist. Corporate licences really are dinosaurs massive and slow to change

Probably hold overs from intel threatening to cut their junk off. :p

Would we say this rules out any Intel laptop purchases until issue is resolved??

Last edited:
Would we say this rules out any Intel laptop purchases until issue is resolved??
I wouldn't buy desktop or laptop 13/14th gen until we know more about the situation. 12th gen should be fine

Last edited:

But it only succeeded because Intel had the volume,so companies had to play ball with Intel. People forget at the time,one of the biggest limitations AMD had was also the capacity of their own fabs. They not only had to scale up volume,but had to keep up with Intel.
It's no different now:

Canalys posted its annual report on LinkedIn of all places (via Wccftech), showing that Intel has maintained its dominant position in the CPU market throughout 2023 despite showing only 3% annual growth. The report shows that Intel shipped 50 million CPUs globally in 2023, with AMD selling 8 million and Apple selling just 6 million. Those numbers add up to Intel holding 78% of the market and AMD with 13% of the market share. That leaves just 9% of the market, which it is assumed belongs to Apple, Qualcomm, Arm, and MediaTek.

Although Intel's fabs have problems the vast majority of their output is for their own products.

Even now AMD is limited by the amount of capacity TSMC can supply them. Not only is it Apple,but now Nvidia is buying as much capacity as it can. Nvidia overtook AMD last year as the second largest customer of TSMC.

Guess who else is buying capacity - Intel. Now,it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Intel is also trying to play a bit of spoil sport doing this.

Look who was VP of Intel doing the time of the P4 and who is in charge now! ;)

This is probably why there are a lot of rumours of AMD trying to use Samsung as well.

Last edited:
But it only succeeded because Intel had the volume,so companies had to play ball with Intel. People forget at the time,one of the biggest limitations AMD had was also the capacity of their own fabs. They not only had to scale up volume,but had to keep up with Intel.
It's no different now:

They were surpassing intel in terms of cpu performance back then they didn't need to keep up with them, the p4 and its long pipeline that got even longer over time iirc just weren't much cop. I had a Prescott clocked to 4.2ghz at the time with a water-cooling unit, and by god did it need it :D . AMD never got the chance to see if they could take a large bite out of the market thanks to intels dirty dealings behind the scenes. Intel could supply more but it was a significant step down from the amd offerings, especially when it came to gaming pre-builts.

It's no different now:

Although Intel's fabs have problems the vast majority of their output is for their own products.

Even now AMD is limited by the amount of capacity TSMC can supply them. Not only is it Apple,but now Nvidia is buying as much capacity as it can. Nvidia overtook AMD last year as the second largest customer of TSMC.

Guess who else is buying capacity - Intel. Now,it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Intel is also trying to play a bit of spoil sport doing this.

Look who was VP of Intel doing the time of the P4 and who is in charge now! ;)

This is probably why there are a lot of rumours of AMD trying to use Samsung as well.
But since AMD are and have been fabless for so long now, and nowwuth the success of Zen they could have come up with a strategy to go to 50%.

While the latest node is great, a more divergent strategy could see volume - but far lower margins on some of these - with all of these nodes:
1.TSMC 4NM (and why not spend big and do a 3NM design for certain server parts already).
2. TSMC 7NM/6NM.
3. Samsung nodes
4 Even GF 12NM forsome older parts or back ports of Zen3 APUs.

Would be huge amount of work and AMD would need far more validation and tape out teams, but just because Intel largely insists on using the same node for all of a generations parts from Celeron via i3/i5/i7/i9 to Xeon, does not mean a different strategy to get to 50%+ is not possible.

Aside from needing far more teams, AMD is chasing margins and seems uninterested in volume, or even the OEM relationships which having such volume and a full product stack could bring them.

This margins obsession may come and bite them eventually.

But since AMD are and have been fabless for so long now, and nowwuth the success of Zen they could have come up with a strategy to go to 50%.

While the latest node is great, a more divergent strategy could see volume - but far lower margins on some of these - with all of these nodes:
1.TSMC 4NM (and why not spend big and do a 3NM design for certain server parts already).
2. TSMC 7NM/6NM.
3. Samsung nodes
4 Even GF 12NM forsome older parts or back ports of Zen3 APUs.

Would be huge amount of work and AMD would need far more validation and tape out teams, but just because Intel largely insists on using the same node for all of a generations parts from Celeron via i3/i5/i7/i9 to Xeon, does not mean a different strategy to get to 50%+ is not possible.

Aside from needing far more teams, AMD is chasing margins and seems uninterested in volume, or even the OEM relationships which having such volume and a full product stack could bring them.

This margins obsession may come and bite them eventually.
Have Intel really got the money to play that dirty now. Their sales and profits are down big time and debt is rising fast. Their one time cash cow, data centres, is evapourating fast. According to Lisa supply has been increased by quite a bit. Time will tell :)

Was going to keep my system for as long as I can, had my 2600K since release. Not sure what I would do if they offered a refund, I guess the biggest thing I would have to change is the motherboard. Might go AMD instead because I'm appalled at how Intel have handled this.

Guess I sort of knew something wasn't right when I had to go through three cpus to get one stable at stock. Thought it was me, perhaps its my cooler still, but the third one is stable, even when benching using all the common tools, though I had to tweak the bios. It was a frustrating system to build tbh. At least its silent in light gaming and general use.

Interestingly I tried Talos principle 2 and I was getting the out of video memory error when it hit the display configuration screen at the start. I managed to get around this with a tip off the steam forums, enable win 8 compatibility mode for the game executable, get past the display config then disabling the compatibility, it then worked fine. I've been playing HFW fine too, another one people report this out of video memory issue on, granted it was crashing for me when I had asus armory crate configuring my GPU lights to match the game (weird!) enabled (this is default), only discovered this one after tweaking everything I could =/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom