• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

People need to know if their CPU is failing because of this issue, an actual stability issue or due to configuration or software error, etc. there is also no clarity right now if every one of these CPUs eventually prematurely fails or whether a subset are vulnerable and so on.
You do, I probably would but does everybody?
If someone has been sold a product that fails and is known to fail then IMHO most people will want it sorted. Why it failed is secondary as that will not fix / sort out their problem.
(and they will probably judge that company / brand in the process)

You do, I probably would but does everybody?
If someone has been sold a product that fails and is known to fail then IMHO most people will want it sorted. Why it failed is secondary as that will not fix / sort out their problem.
(and they will probably judge that company / brand in the process)

Yes because for example if it is a software crash they could go through a lot of hassle and end up at square one.

EDIT: Or another scenario if someone is seeing errors but it is down to faulty RAM they might not work that out initially causing hassle later sorting the RAM if that was the cause in their case but they assumed it was the Intel issue causing the crashes.

Last edited:
Exactly what I thought. He seems to be the only one really trying to inform us of the true extent of this issue. Others blaming motherboards etc is just misdirection and plain wrong at this point.

Haven't got to watching that video yet to see if it sheds any more light but we've not had evidence yet of the extent and root cause(s) of the issue - motherboards may yet still have a significant part to play.

Exactly what I thought. He seems to be the only one really trying to inform us of the true extent of this issue. Others blaming motherboards etc is just misdirection and plain wrong at this point.

Right, to stop it from happening motherboard vendors would need to run lower power settings while at the same time Intel are advising them to use higher power settings because performance bar charts and somehow this is the fault of motherboards.

Here is a solution, 125 watts out of the box, as advertised by Intel, anything over that is clearly cited as unlocked overclocking. NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN, but its still the fault of motherboards.

Last edited:
Its so simple, Intel say its a 125 watt CPU, they print that on the box and on Intel.arc, for marketing purposes but what they are telling motherboard vendors is to default to 253 watt or higher.

Stop it, 125 watts period.

Right, to stop it from happening motherboard vendors would need to run lower power settings while at the same time Intel are advising them to use higher power settings because performance bar charts and somehow this is the fault of motherboards.

Here is a solution, 125 watts out of the box, as advertised by Intel, anything over that is clearly cited as unlocked overclocking. NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN, but its still the fault of motherboards.
At this rate I'm not even sure that will save them, given the apparent rate of failure of plain old servers running these chips I can imagine they are running anything except intel defaults in order to keep power costs down. I guess we will find out soon when people start getting some lab analysis back.

If it is sponsored content, or fear of freebies from Intel in the future then IMO it is more than "just misdirection" though.

Those RMA dramas really sounds like Intel's RMA people are on commission to reject as many as possible. Especially the re-mark scare tactic - if there are high number of remarked CPUs out there (I would be surprised if they are over 1%), then Intel's secret validation investigators should be going after the retailers and - irrespectively that these 13/14th gen CPUs are inherently faulty - if a end user provides all this evidence they should honour the RMA and use the evidence to investigate their supply chain. In that specific one, I cannot see a CPU bought from either of those huge retailers being a fraud.

At this rate I'm not even sure that will save them, given the apparent rate of failure of plain old servers running these chips I can imagine they are running anything except intel defaults in order to keep power costs down. I guess we will find out soon when people start getting some lab analysis back.
Afaik the overvolting microcode bug is not connected to power draw, Intel have said that any 13th-14th CPUs are potentially affected, even CPUs that rarely exceed 65 watts (like the 13400) and don't have TVB (Intel denied the initial reports that the bug was limited to TVB and only the 13900/14900 CPUs have it). My understanding is that they can be given excessive (degrading) voltage even at idle.

Last edited:
Afaik the overvolting microcode bug is not connected to power draw, Intel have said that any 13th-14th CPUs are potentially affected, even CPUs that rarely exceed 65 watts (like the 13400) and don't have TVB (Intel denied the initial reports that the bug was limited to TVB and only the 13900/14900 CPUs have it). My understanding is that they can be given excessive (degrading) voltage even at idle.
Yes so hardly motherboard vendors issue. Although I guess intel want too spin it that way

Last edited:
Yes because for example if it is a software crash they could go through a lot of hassle and end up at square one.

EDIT: Or another scenario if someone is seeing errors but it is down to faulty RAM they might not work that out initially causing hassle later sorting the RAM if that was the cause in their case but they assumed it was the Intel issue causing the crashes.
So Intel should come clean and say SOME CPUs (who knows how many) will fail now or at some point in the future and it could be yours.
Not software
Not ram
Not M/B
our CPU!
Job done!

So Intel should come clean and say SOME CPUs (who knows how many) will fail now or at some point in the future and it could be yours.
Not software
Not ram
Not M/B
our CPU!
Job done!

That makes absolutely no sense in the context of my posts.

Yes so hardly motherboard vendors issue. Although I guess intel want too spin it that way
Yeah, disclosed issue number 1 (overvolting microcode) is totally out of their control, so is disclosed issue number 2 (a manufacturing fault). Which makes sense, since CPUs can fail/show instability even when not used (i.e. out of the box), or only modestly used. Using very conservative settings might push the problems out further into the future, or temporarily alleviate them, but it doesn't fix it.

Yeah, disclosed issue number 1 (overvolting microcode) is totally out of their control, so is disclosed issue number 2 (a manufacturing fault). Which makes sense, since CPUs can fail/show instability even when not used (i.e. out of the box), or only modestly used. Using very conservative settings might push the problems out further into the future, or temporarily alleviate them, but it doesn't fix it.

Motherboards, though not exactly the vendor's fault, may still be a factor.

It is a hard one to get real data on due to the limited sample sizes and lacking information but I've seen several people noting (covering all 600/700 series boards including W680, etc.) that they weren't seeing voltages hitting 1.5+ around the launch of the 13th gen with 1.3-1.35 more normal, but at some point newer BIOSes started to exhibit it and put it down to changes to the load line stuff - hard to get data but this review at launch for example mentions 1.37V as being "high".

EDIT: Just got to watch the latest GN video - interestingly there is a suggestion there that Intel might have updated the microcode to try and solve one issue and ended up exposing this issue in the process :s which might mean there is no one fix for all these CPUs as it seems the mitigations for one issue are incompatible with the mitigations for another issue :s

Last edited:
As many current Intel users won't be changeing to AMD will they instead decide not to upgrade. This will depress CPU sales and obviously sales / profits of retailers. This mess has huge implications over a wide area.

As many current Intel users won't be changeing to AMD will they instead decide not to upgrade. This will depress CPU sales and obviously sales / profits of retailers. This mess has huge implications over a wide area.

I'd happily change back to AMD but it's the small matter of having spent a small fortune on the best intel parts i could get my hands on at the time. I fully expected to eventually get burnt by depreciation as newer chips come out, I did not however expect my processor to be faulty and potentially incapable of maintaining it's performance in a year and a half.

My intel specific parts are going to worthless at this rate as nobody will be willing to take the risk especially if performance is significantly reduced.

Happy to see Steve @ GN getting his teeth into it, but ultimately outside of the US (class action lawsuits) I don't see any good outcome to this.

As for Linus' techquickie video I don't think he did intentionally mislead or solely blame the motherboard manufacturers but I do think it felt a little tone deaf given all of Intels current interactions on the subject (Lie, then secretly edit etc)
I do feel like he'd garner some much needed trust if he actively assisted in taking on Intels PR/BS machine but I dont see that happening (possibly still some bad feeling between him and Steve? I'm reaching on that one.)

Back
Top Bottom