• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

very early models of 13th were rebadged 12th gen's at heart, those 13th gen units may be un affected but given current events dont 100% bank on them being fine long term.
In theory, any C0 die (based on alder lake 8+8) CPU should be unaffected by the microcode bug (since they use different microcode to raptor lake) or the manufacturing fault, because they use a different process to manufacture them.

Drama and hype aside...
Is there a TLDR summary for people that are not seeing excess voltage/temp issues?

Drama and hype aside...
Is there a TLDR summary for people that are not seeing excess voltage/temp issues?
Update your BIOS to the latest once the microcode update with the overvolting fix is published (and we can confirm it isn't terrible/doesn't make things worse), ensure your BIOS is using the 'recommended' settings unless you're very confident n yours and don't chuck your box for the (now extended) 5 year warranty and hope for the best.

12gen is not affected... so i am not worried at all

I didn't say it was, but you said you were going to upgrade, e.g. the buying a 13900K part you mentioned. So if you want to upgrade dump the dead end platform that will be tainted and worth a fraction of it's current value in a few months, and get on a platform with longevity and legs under it. Also as I said if you are on DDR4 get on DDR5.

i am not fussed to be on latest and greatest.. i was just wanting an upgrade to play with overclocking a bit.. my 12700k is just the worse
... i am also not convinced still with AMD

Gotta say, more than happy with my 12700K.

Clocked at a fixed 5.1/4.0 with just 1.25v, runs everything just fine, not CPU bound by anything.

No need to upgrade for a few years yet, although I was toying with maybe getting a 14 series until this debacle.

Clocked at a fixed 5.1/4.0 with just 1.25v, runs everything just fine, not CPU bound by anything.

No need to upgrade for a few years yet, although I was toying with maybe getting a 14 series until this debacle.

The 12000 series seem much less effected. I would probably peg the power use if you plan to hold onto it for years.

my refuses to do anything above 5.0 .. e cores can go up to 3.9-4.0
but i do not have any crazy spikes like 13th and 14th gen

i am not fussed to be on latest and greatest.. i was just wanting an upgrade to play with overclocking a bit.. my 12700k is just the worse
... i am also not convinced still with AMD
Recent CPU performance update video from HUB:

When it comes to gaming the 7800X3D shows its legs at 1080p, but 1440p let alone 4K with high or ultra settings even on a 4090 anything reasonably recent CPU wise including the better 12th gen, Ryzen 7700 (and 5800X3D) upwards are all within margin of error, some exceptions aside, and the faster 5000 series parts, etc. aren't far behind. By the time that might change with faster GPUs down the line none of these platforms are going to be anything but old.

Last edited:
When it comes to gaming the 7800X3D shows its legs at 1080p, but 1440p let alone 4K with high or ultra settings even on a 4090 anything reasonably recent CPU wise including the better 12th gen, Ryzen 7700 (and 5800X3D) upwards are all within margin of error, some exceptions aside, and the faster 5000 series parts, etc. aren't far behind. By the time that might change with faster GPUs down the line none of these platforms are going to be anything but old.

A recommendation for people to pair a 7700 non x and RTX 4090 for 3.7 megapixel gaming on OcUK forums. The end can’t be far now.

A recommendation for people to pair a 7700 non x and RTX 4090 for 3.7 megapixel gaming on OcUK forums. The end can’t be far now.

Not a recommendation - there are implications for minimum FPS and some games work better than others but people get carried away by the 1080p benchmarks - when you turn up the resolution and settings the GPU is still largely the bottleneck these days with most reasonably recent CPUs:

XcD1zgO.png

Not a recommendation - there are implications for minimum FPS and some games work better than others but people get carried away by the 1080p benchmarks - when you turn up the resolution and settings the GPU is still largely the bottleneck these days with most reasonably recent CPUs:

XcD1zgO.png

The 7800X3D is an outstanding piece of silicon. I think that fact deeply hurts some emotionally.

The 7800X3D is an outstanding piece of silicon. I think that fact deeply hurts some emotionally.

If purely gaming, even then its main benefits are at 1080p which outside of e-sports people aren't likely to be running paired with a GPU like the 4090. (There are the odd title where it still is way out ahead at 1440p but then some it doesn't do so well so swings and roundabouts a bit).

For anything else there are better CPUs out there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom