• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

Afaik the overvolting microcode bug is not connected to power draw, Intel have said that any 13th-14th CPUs are potentially affected, even CPUs that rarely exceed 65 watts (like the 13400) and don't have TVB (Intel denied the initial reports that the bug was limited to TVB and only the 13900/14900 CPUs have it). My understanding is that they can be given excessive (degrading) voltage even at idle.
I’ve tested all the 13th and 14th gen CPU’s I own (3) and none of them display excessive voltage. My 14900k NEVER exceeds 1.38v as far as my testing has shown.

I believe there is a lot of hyperbole and misinformation surrounding these CPU’s. There ar literally millions of 13th and 14th gen CPUs that are perfectly fine. If they degrade I will RMA them, simple.

I’ve tested all the 13th and 14th gen CPU’s I own (3) and none of them display excessive voltage. My 14900k NEVER exceeds 1.38v as far as my testing has shown.
The microcode might have been looked into before I post this, so it might not be true now, but at the time of my post, we didn't know how, why or in what circumstances the degradation/overvolting occurs, that's part of the problem of Intel not giving the specifics.

If they did explain it in detail, there would be a lot less speculation.

If they degrade I will RMA them, simple.
If you have a boxed CPU that they're happy to accept the RMA from, then the 5 year warranty will give some sense of security, for sure, but it isn't that simple for everyone who owns one (e.g. tray warranties are normally only one year) and you rely on Intel (or whoever built your PC) honouring the RMA.

Mostly small or no performance loss on the 14900K according to that video. Reduction in single core voltage spikes from 1.58v to 1.51v.

The microcode might have been looked into before I post this, so it might not be true now, but at the time of my post, we didn't know how, why or in what circumstances the degradation/overvolting occurs, that's part of the problem of Intel not giving the specifics.

If they did explain it in detail, there would be a lot less speculation.

If you have a boxed CPU that they're happy to accept the RMA from, then the 5 year warranty will give some sense of security, for sure, but it isn't that simple for everyone who owns one (e.g. tray warranties are normally only one year) and you rely on Intel (or whoever built your PC) honouring the RMA.
Tray CPUs definitely a bit of a, pain, but with Intel extending the warranty by two extra years on tray cpus it is good news, but not much good for anyone that buys a, tray cpu 2nd user, I have two retail i9 13900k cpus, both bought 2nd user, one was returned last week under the Intel warranty, Intel where swift and I had a brand new boxed i9 13900k in return.... IMHO I think the Intel panic could make for some excellent 2nd user bargains, coupled with Intels excellent warranty, due to Intel warranty been on the CPU for the original purchaser and any 2nd user buyer, with no need to provide any copies of original purchase receipts.

I'm going to ask to be spoonfed a little here, because trying to find concrete information on this is a bleedin' nightmare. I have a 13700k bought pretty much a year ago, so probably within the "potentially affected" batches, but what *exactly* does "my chip is humped" look like in practice? Is it *only* full system crashes I have to worry about, or is stuff like games randomly CTDing and windows cacking itself when I try to take a screenshot also a possible indicator? And if it is, how do I tell apart "my chip is humped" from everyday "it's Current Year, all software is buggy garbage and all customers are permanent beta testers" instability? Is there a specific, verifiable test I can run that will tell me one way or the other? Ideally something OCUK will accept as actual proof, because I really don't fancy doing the RMA Shuffle with them again as I did with my last CPU where I send it in and they insist it works fine on their test bench and send it back only for it to still fail to boot, rinse and repeat.

I'm going to ask to be spoonfed a little here, because trying to find concrete information on this is a bleedin' nightmare. I have a 13700k bought pretty much a year ago, so probably within the "potentially affected" batches, but what *exactly* does "my chip is humped" look like in practice? Is it *only* full system crashes I have to worry about, or is stuff like games randomly CTDing and windows cacking itself when I try to take a screenshot also a possible indicator? And if it is, how do I tell apart "my chip is humped" from everyday "it's Current Year, all software is buggy garbage and all customers are permanent beta testers" instability? Is there a specific, verifiable test I can run that will tell me one way or the other? Ideally something OCUK will accept as actual proof, because I really don't fancy doing the RMA Shuffle with them again as I did with my last CPU where I send it in and they insist it works fine on their test bench and send it back only for it to still fail to boot, rinse and repeat.
Its a pretty poor situation at the moment - everyone is hoping that Intel will get there act together and actually do an Asus and apologise and make it easy for people with this issue - There is pressure on them to do it, and I hope people start voting with their money as most of these big companies only care when things start effecting their bottom line. The only thing you can do at the moment is what Intel have said which is pretty poor - "Keep sending it back untill you get a customer service person that accepts the RMA" it is terrible customer service but its what Intel have been telling most Tech influencers and posting in their information... if it were me I would be waiting untill they have some better RMA procedures in place or maybe give it a go once now and see how it goes... gutted for you mate :(

Stelly

The first signs will likely be random strange issues. Programs not opening/closing, strange OS problems that sort of thing. After that probably memory errors, corrupt files and more memory errors.

Prolonged and intensive stress testing would be the only real way to see if the CPU is degraded, but that might bring on any issues or uncover others. Sadly as Stella says, this is a problem that only Intel can deal with and it seems likely this is more than a single issue.

Last edited:
As others have said, it's tricky because there is no one clear pathway of symptoms. That said, full system crashes seem to be one of the late symptoms. A friend with a 13900K he's pretty sure affected reckons the first problem he noticed were random pauses of a few seconds when opening certain programs. Then he got an increase in crash-to-desktops in-game. Unreal Engine games, particularly UE5 titles, seem particularly prone to triggering these. For him, the point he realised something was seriously wrong was when Lords of the Fallen (a UE5 game) started refusing to load, having previously run ok, with an "out of memory" error.

*sigh* Damnit, I literally went with team blue for this build because I wanted a no-fuss It Just Werks experience for a change. It's insane to me that the hacked-together bodge jobs of whatever was cheap at the time that I built myself years ago as a student are still fully functional but that's two modern systems in a row that have been lemons less than a year after I got them built. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. EDIT: Oh and thanks, I appreciate the responses.

Last edited:
If it is this particular issue usually the system will fail in Cinebench R15 very quickly for some reason (while still able to run other versions of Cinebench and other stress tests fine), certain software will fall over with out of memory errors (the most common being UE5 games as mentioned) or you will get a very specific memory related BSOD due to the system trying to execute an incorrect location as a CPU instruction.

General errors like the system randomly pausing or random games crashing to desktop due to this problem rather than buggy software, etc. won't happen until the CPU is severely degraded at which point you'll be getting all kinds of errors - usually after other symptoms as mentioned above have happened first, though possible to progress past that without symptoms depending on your usage i.e if you don't play UE5 games.

Last edited:
Also seems complicated by there being at least 3 different failures, maybe 4 with 2 related. With some 13th and a lesser number of 14th gen not stable, but not degraded or will necessarily degrade, out the box on older microcode, the via oxidation issue and this specific issue which may have 2 slightly different versions one which doesn't continue to degrade but is present out the box.

last bios 2402 on my setup showed performace loss and now with latest bios update 2503 installed it's gone back to normal, I did noticed no more 100 on any P-cores temps, this is using Intel Extreme setting, Asus Multicore - Enforce All limits and XMP enabled, so far so good!

Back
Top Bottom