• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

I take it you need to pay postage in some form or another every time you do this?

As i understand it everytime you send it to Intel for RMA you pay for postage, if not they charge you return postage if they reject the RMA, so Intel telling their customers to keep trying over and over again if at first they don't succeed is rather cynical, its like: We will accept the RMA but only after its cost you a significant fanatical penalty for daring to complain.

That is completely wrong!

When you raise an RMA with Intel (Retail CPUs), is the following process:

After raising the RMA, they will ask you for the serial number of the CPU and a few photos of certain areas of the CPU, once that's then approved they will arrange DHL to collect the CPU which gets sent to

CWP DHL Supply Chain
Zwenkgras 23
Beringe
5986 PM
NETHERLANDS

They review the CPU and as long as the CPU isn't delidded they will replace it and send you another one normally with a week or so.

Collection and Drop off are all done via DHL Express at no cost to you.

After raising the RMA, they will ask you for the serial number of the CPU and a few photos of certain areas of the CPU, once that's then approved they will arrange DHL to collect the CPU which gets sent to

CWP DHL Supply Chain
Zwenkgras 23
Beringe
5986 PM
NETHERLANDS

They review the CPU and as long as the CPU isn't delidded they will replace it and send you another one normally with a week or so.

Intel don’t state that. So I’d question who’s wrong.

and it's not just degrading / faulty chips but how Intel aquire support for their failing business

"Intel the beleaguered American semiconductor maker, received an extra €2.5 million from IDA Ireland this year as part of a big aid package for companies whose energy bills spiked after the Russian invasion of Ukraine"

"Intel’s most recent annual report shows it recognised a total of $645 million (€591 million) worth of grants and refundable tax credits from countries outside the United States, the majority of which “related to the expansion of silicon wafer manufacturing facilities in Ireland”.

"Intel sold a 49 per cent stake in a joint venture connected to the Leixlip facility to Apollo Global Management, a US private-equity firm, for $11 billion. The company had just finished construction of the Fab 34 facility at a cost of €17 billion"

It's like their semiconductor division is a subsidiary of their 'property development' dept.

One more question if I may; let's say I install the microcode update, if the troubles I'd been having *were* the result of the issue causing damage to the chip, will the proposed tests like the driver decompression thing still trigger? I'm just wondering whether I should run the testing before I update or after.

Last edited:
Intel don’t state that. So I’d question who’s wrong.

It's not me who is wrong, as that's the process I have used for RMA processors.

I have the emails as well if required.

I may well just attach this as I am wrong or not:

MI7weSZ.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah Intel pick up the tab for returns on retails chips, same as AMD. No idea why people who've never used the service would be trying to comment in a factual way.

One more question if I may; let's say I install the microcode update, if the troubles I'd been having *were* the result of the issue causing damage to the chip, will the proposed tests like the driver decompression thing still trigger? I'm just wondering whether I should run the testing before I update or after.

Personally I’d rigorously stress before and after, but the damage may likely already be done. The microcode update is a preventative measure for one possible contributing factor. Its not a fix all issues after the fact solution unfortunately.

CWP DHL Supply Chain
Zwenkgras 23
Beringe
5986 PM
NETHERLANDS

This is what happened when I RMA'd a 6700K.. didnt pay a penny and turnaround was 10 days.

No clue if anything has changed since then as been on Ryzen CPU's since 2018.

Last edited:

If the CPU has been damaged, the microcode will not fix the issue.

So it would be best apply the MC (0x129), test and RMA if needed. Intel's RMA service is normally very good from personal experance.

Seems Intel have withdrawn the extended warranty.
and it's not just degrading / faulty chips but how Intel aquire support for their failing business

"Intel the beleaguered American semiconductor maker, received an extra €2.5 million from IDA Ireland this year as part of a big aid package for companies whose energy bills spiked after the Russian invasion of Ukraine"

"Intel’s most recent annual report shows it recognised a total of $645 million (€591 million) worth of grants and refundable tax credits from countries outside the United States, the majority of which “related to the expansion of silicon wafer manufacturing facilities in Ireland”.

"Intel sold a 49 per cent stake in a joint venture connected to the Leixlip facility to Apollo Global Management, a US private-equity firm, for $11 billion. The company had just finished construction of the Fab 34 facility at a cost of €17 billion"

It's like their semiconductor division is a subsidiary of their 'property development' dept.

It wasn’t long ago Intel was pouring hundreds of billions into itself.

Last edited:
Well they don't really have a choice here in the UK do they? If a product breaks or fails to live up to its promised features because of a fault that is demonstrably the fault of the manufacturer, surely the Consumer Rights Act would apply and they're obliged to repair or replace, and you've the right to take them to small claims for a full refund if they refuse for 5-6 years depending on which part of the UK. I know some companies will quibble over you proving the fault was there at point of sale after six months, but it should be pretty difficult for Intel to argue that if your chip comes from an impacted batch.

"Following Intel’s earlier announcement regarding two (2) year warranty extension – from date of purchase, up to a maximum of five (5) years - on Intel Core 13th/14th desktop processors, please see below for additional details on the program."

Unless it's stated elsewhere the warranty has still been extended up to a maximum of 5 years (Retail) on those listed CPUs

Last edited:
While Intel's communicating has been really poor with all of this, the chances of them withdrawing the extended warranty after the big fanfare of announcing it must be close to zero.

Well they don't really have a choice here in the UK do they? If a product breaks or fails to live up to its promised features because of a fault that is demonstrably the fault of the manufacturer, surely the Consumer Rights Act would apply and they're obliged to repair or replace, and you've the right to take them to small claims for a full refund if they refuse for 5-6 years depending on which part of the UK. I know some companies will quibble over you proving the fault was there at point of sale after six months, but it should be pretty difficult for Intel to argue that if your chip comes from an impacted batch.

Its gets complicated applying UK legislation to other nations, especially nations outside of the EU which we are one of. The sale of goods act would be more useful, but technically Intel didn’t sell you the anything as you are a customer of Intel customer. Intel would eventually get held accountable if found in breach, but not anytime soon.

Its gets complicated applying UK legislation to other nations, especially nations outside of the EU which we are one of. The sale of goods act would be more useful, but technically Intel didn’t sell you the anything as you are a customer of Intel customer. Intel would eventually get held accountable if found in breach, but not anytime soon.

This law applies to the retailer, not the manufacturer.

Edit, Also the sale of goods act was replaced by the consumer rights act, sale of goods act doesnt exist anymore, although it is largely the same rules.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom