• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Intel i7 4790K 5GHz Club ***

Associate
Thank you, that's not one I've seen but one hell of a clocker you have there.
Have you tried any further?

Thanks :) thought it was good but wasn't sure how good. Once tried 5.2Ghz, 1.4(?) volts (just multiplier and vcore) and did managed to run super pi and crash wasn't far away. Would'nt dare much more, limited knowledge .

Actually i'll go with a second try, will see how much vcore it needs.

Soldato
You guys got some nic chips.

Mine is a dud that will only get 4.7 at just over 1.3v

It was better initially, taking 1.27v for 4.75, but then it suddenly started needing more.

Associate
Well, 4.7 aint exactly bad in the grand scheme of things. Its still a 4770k under the hood. You may not win any awards with it, but its a still decent.

Associate
What motherboard and RAM are you using?
Motherboard : Asus Z97-DELUXE
Memory : G.Skill TridentX 4x8GB, 11-12-12-32-2@[email protected] (F3-2400C10Q-32GTX)

Conducted a small experiment few days ago - "how much it takes to see a desktop":
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Seems to scale constantly 0.04v increments.
And now [email protected] , cpu-z, screenshot and crash followed:
5.2Ghz%401.38v.png

edit: traveyb here has chip from same batch
edit: voltages i put here in this post before were incorrect, did an update.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rene, did you get your chip from here?

I promised myself would not gamble on the silicone lottery, but I am struggling fighting the temptation to try another.

Soldato
Mine was at 5.2 but crashed in Prime in about 1.2 seconds does that count :D:D:D

if yes, i had it at 5.2 before this; all afternoon...temp about 75 degrees ...V = 1.5, but it felt quite scary, i didn't try gaming and only used rig for online :)

i hate using Prime, but at 4.6, V=1.27 it gets up to 85 degrees.............but only 43 degrees whilst gaming only.

it might have worked at 5.2 if i had dropped the voltage.... but i'm a bit too scared to try now, i have a feeling that my CPU is a really good clocker !!!!! but it would need fine tuning.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
....i hate using Prime, but at 4.6, V=1.27 it gets up to 85 degrees.............but only 43 degrees whilst gaming only. ...

I have mixed feelings regarding prime95, tried few different stress utilities and found realbench good validator together with aida64.
Temperatures are much lower than prime's smallfft and bsod occurs just as same . Smallffts purpose seems to be more of temperature testing than stability, i see a point in it if you actually gonna plan something similar with your pc .
Well ... games doesnt get even close .. as you pointed out.
Just my subjective opinion , based on my pc usage scenario.

Currently clocked [email protected], aida64 temps reached max 85C, realbench temps less than 80c, but stable.
I know if i am gonna run smallfft's it will hit 100c immediately but I won't and apps i use daily are joke besides aida64/realbench :).
So this clock is just fine for me.
If i plan to fold@home .. thats another story.

PS. disable avx in windows and try smallfft's then (if this is where your temp peaked) :)

Last edited:
Soldato
hi
4.6 is fine for me and because everyone else is on 4.2 to 4.7 then 4.6 is about right for me too.

if i went up to 5.0 on air the rig would probably take it, because whilst gaming only the loading looks like about 35%....... roughly a 10 degree temp rise, but Prime is a full 100% torture test.....and of course i had the voltage far too high back then, i only dropped the voltage recently when the guys told me how to do it.

the cpu feels about the same as my old i5 2500, it's a very strong cpu, nothing like the complaints that you read here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom