Intel or AMD for gaming pc.

Soldato
Well, with the idea of upgrading eventually anyway in the near future, could you add anything to the budget now?

You could even just have the intel system, scrap the SSD for now and get that in February. This would just require a fresh installation of windows when you get the new drive and will not change the overclock the system comes with. Do it like this and at the end of the day, you can end up with ALL the parts you originally wanted but with the monitor AND the intel build now. :)

Though to do that, you need a hard drive until then. Any will do, from a laptop or current desktop or even a dirt cheap 200gb HDD.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-112-IY&groupid=17&catid=510

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, with the idea of upgrading eventually anyway in the near future, could you add anything to the budget now?

You could even just have the intel system, scrap the SSD for now and get that in February. This would just require a fresh installation of windows when you get the new drive and will not change the overclock the system comes with. Do it like this and at the end of the day, you can end up with ALL the parts you originally wanted but with the monitor AND the intel build now. :)

Though to do that, you need a hard drive until then. Any will do, from a laptop or current desktop or even a dirt cheap 200gb HDD.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-112-IY&groupid=17&catid=510

I think I may build around AMD. And get a new monitor...

Will the AMD be as futureproof as the Intel i7?

Budget is maxed out mate! haha

Permabanned
Which is more futureproof? Intel or AMD?

Thanks for the builds mate really appreciate it!

it all depends on what you need it to do and what game you play, i would say there very well matched.

My choice would be AMD over i5. the next gen games are wanting more then 4 core's so an 8 core is a safe place to be.

change the case to one you like, i choose a £100 case to give you a nice piece of budget to pick on you like, there is some fantastic cases for around £100

Soldato
with the budget you have i wouldn't go near AMD imo, especially if your not prepared to overclock, Lee32uk's build looks great and would serve you well.

Money could be saved/put to better use if you'd consider using a trial version of windows 8? think you get 3 months which should allow you to save up for the full version.

Soldato
OCuk wont put a big enough clock on the AMD to match their bump in intel clocks if you get them to build it. An i5 haswell build and a small OCuk overclock with a 1080p monitor. Would go for the build above except trade out the 770 for a 280X for tastier Vram and comparable performance. OP wants future proofing and the Vram on the 280x will go a long way.

Soldato
Which is more futureproof? Intel or AMD?

Neither as both 1150 and AM3+ are "dead sockets".

Now is a poor time to be building a new rig if you want to "futureproof".

I like to get at least one CPU change from a new system but I badly needed a new rig so after MUCH consideration (It was actually a hard choice) I went with an i7 4770K simply because I could not wait.

Yes, I have a "dead" socket BUT, 12/18 months is a long time for any new processors/sockets so will just wait and see. That is initial launch as well so taking into account the special offer "Early adopter" prices, it is probably nearer 2 years before I would consider upgrading anyway.

Build a rig around it strengths suited to what you need it for and try not to let the "fanboyism" attitudes you read online sway you. Sounds obvious, but many do not do this.

An AM3+ rig right now with an extra ton towards a graphics card is worth serious consideration.

Everyone is miffed as to where PC gaming is going at the moment so there is no "smart choices" to be made as such.

Will Mantle make a difference, will the next gen consoles have an effect on PC games being better threaded? Will AMD's dominance of the console hardware play to their advantage in the PC sector? Nobody knows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom