• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel planning "Revolutionary" processor core.

Soldato
4-5 years? Jesus that's a depressing thought.

Not really if you buy a 1700 and overclock it to 3.8Ghz you are set for the next 3-6 years, I get slightly annoyed about it but it also means at least you don't have to shell out lots of money yearly like the old days to keep upto date with everything.

Caporegime
Not really if you buy a 1700 and overclock it to 3.8Ghz you are set for the next 3-6 years, I get slightly annoyed about it but it also means at least you don't have to shell out lots of money yearly like the old days to keep upto date with everything.

Progress with computers has been frustratingly slow over the last few years. CPU's have hardly gone anywhere in years and SSD's did start to come down in price but now they have shot back up in price so we have gone backwards there.

The only people making decent progress in price/performance at the moment (relative to the competition and their previous stuff) are Nvidia.

Man of Honour

Dunno - we are about to see CPUs move to 10nm or "7"nm processes which should allow for a fairly significant jump which will probably have some implications for how quickly stuff starts to take advantage of it maybe. IIRC GF are targetting a 25% increase in frequency for the kind of dies typical of a CPU and Intel are aiming for a better than 30% increase in performance going from 14nm to 10nm.

Soldato
nVidia, geez, i'm still waiting for a reasonable priced upgrade for my 970 which i've owned for 3 years now. 1070 would just be there now (£300, what i paid for my 970) if it wasnt for this mining nonsense. They might be making progress but it's at a snail's pace :p

Man of Honour
I'm glad I didn't hesitate on one of Gibbo's specials and got a 1070 at £350 - even that was pushing it for what I consider them worth really.

Caporegime
nVidia, geez, i'm still waiting for a reasonable priced upgrade for my 970 which i've owned for 3 years now. 1070 would just be there now (£300, what i paid for my 970) if it wasnt for this mining nonsense. They might be making progress but it's at a snail's pace :p

Still much better than anyone else is managing. The 1080Ti is vastly more powerful than the 980ti, yet uses the same if not less power and is still the same price (adjusted for our currency tanking). Also, the only reason you have not had a 1070 for ~£300 is because of the brexit vote.

I mean Zen is good but it is only playing catch up to Intel, and it doesn't seem to have had the desired impact on Intel prices either.

Caporegime
brexit is the reason, right. There's me thinking it was a lack of competitive pricing from AMD.

That is a factor, but ultimately our currency being worth 20% less than it was worth for the previous generation is undeniably the biggest factor.

The lack of competition and the mining craze has just compounded things

Man of Honour
brexit has effected so much people didn't realise

One of the problems is the uncertainty - one of my dad's foreign suppliers has pushed up prices massively because they don't know what the long term is going to be and whether they will continue to sell to the UK in the future or not.

Soldato
Sure but we've already been on the current design of Intel CPUs for nearly 10 years so knowing we have to wait another 5 is still depressing.

Soldato
I would imagine this change will also introduce the replacement for silicone based transistors. I can't see silicone transistors being practically applied past 5nm, the size of individual silicone atoms is going to be too much of a bottleneck to mass produce dies smaller than 5nm. They may of course make a break through on that, though, but it'll still be a stop gap as opposed to the future of processors. Perhaps we'll see some chip fabs testing carbon nano tubes soon or something of the like.

Permabanned
It's no problem dude just people expressing themselves in a healthy manner.

We love the tech but ultimately it's not that important. Sorry to go off topic though it's just something else that I'm quite passionate about :)

Soldato
If you brought the 1070 at release for £400 and sold the 970 for £200 you would have made a really nice upgrade for £200 :D The Palit' were only £350 here on release.

Associate
I would imagine this change will also introduce the replacement for silicone based transistors. I can't see silicone transistors being practically applied past 5nm, the size of individual silicone atoms is going to be too much of a bottleneck to mass produce dies smaller than 5nm. They may of course make a break through on that, though, but it'll still be a stop gap as opposed to the future of processors. Perhaps we'll see some chip fabs testing carbon nano tubes soon or something of the like.

Interestingly Finfet ends with 7nm.

So 5nm and 3nm are going to be GAAFET, "Gate-All-Around". And that's are far as we've got for 99.9% certainty of going into production. Currently stopping at 3nm until new designs/materials emerge.

Which also means current plans run out in ~2024 ish. So they have 7-9 years or so to come up with a solution. Easy! :p

Back
Top Bottom