• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel shots fired at AMD.

Caporegime
OP
Intel did have huge subsidies towards building new fabs in the US, this no doubt artificially boosted Intel's financials in the current and long term. US government will not let Intel suffer.
Is that why they will be paying TSMC to make their chips, because they used their fab grants to pay for incentives to people for not using AMD?

Soldato
Probably a bit of that along with the time it takes to get a fully functioning fab foundry up and running is years. I believe that the new Intel fab in Arizona will be completed some time next year but other intel fab looks like its 2025 along with such as the new TSMC, micron, samsung, texas instruments etc.

The fab plants are pretty flipping impressive though, its amazing how huge some of those places are. I have seen walkthroughs and took part in virtual walkthroughs in a couple of places in Taiwan and Vietnam, they are immensely impressive sized facilities.

Soldato
Is that why they will be paying TSMC to make their chips, because they used their fab grants to pay for incentives to people for not using AMD?

Probably. Arrow Lake will have chipsets from both Intel and TSMC fabs. Probably only on the top end models though, to get/try to get to performance crown.

I suspect the bulk of their CPU's will be made at the new fabs that the US Government practically gifted for free to Intel.

Soldato
Yeah i noticed that, apparently it kick's Nvidia's H100's arse....... why can't they do that so convincingly for Graphics GPU's?
They can and do...when you take Nvidia-centric features out of the equation.

Radeon has been on par or beating Nvidia in raster for a few generations, but nobody cares because it's all about subpar ray tracing and fake frame generation to compensate, and Nvidia have the lead on that because a: they repurposed datacenter hardware as a fad (and justified a massive price hike because of it), and b: ray tracing capabilities are optimised for Nvidia blackboxes and Nvidia implementations. Of course Radeon sucks running RTX games because RTX is designed for Nvidia hardware.

Go with a more agnostic engine or an AMD-centric ray tracing engine and Radeon matches and beats Nvidia, Godfall and Dirt being two examples on PC, but nobody cares because those games aren't Cyberpunk and whatever high-profile AAA game Nvidia spends umpteen bazillions on injecting their blackboxes into.

Then look at Spiderman and Ratchett & Clank on the PS5. Even if you normalised Nvidia's obscene price gouging, show me an Nvidia card that can replicate the Ray Tracing on those two games at the same price point. But nobody cares because consoles are for peasants and the PC Master Race rules over all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah i noticed that, apparently it kick's Nvidia's H100's arse....... why can't they do that so convincingly for Graphics GPU's?
Software. Drivers and software have always been ATI/AMD's Achilles heel. Now it's too late, as DLSS, Gsync etc have become embedded. People are invested into Nvidia's ecosystem. Much the same that an avid IoS user is too invested in Apple apps/services to ever consider switching to Andriod.

Associate
Software. Drivers and software have always been ATI/AMD's Achilles heel. Now it's too late, as DLSS, Gsync etc have become embedded. People are invested into Nvidia's ecosystem. Much the same that an avid IoS user is too invested in Apple apps/services to ever consider switching to Andriod.
I disagee. Having the money to coerse game devs and sway public opinion has proved sucessful for Nvidia, but as with intel nothing stays the same. DLSS etc, is just todays fad. IMHO the future will be very different,

Caporegime
OP

Yeah.... i think you're on to something.

Soldato
I just find it funny how a few years ago it was make or break for AMD with Ryzen, and now look how far they have come, and now its Intel literally clutching at straws.

It would be truly amazing if AMD could match Nvidia's overall performance (including with ray tracing) and software stack/features/stability.

What we have in the CPU market currently is great - AMD/Intel performance is pretty much identical for the flagships, though with Intel using far more power at load and AMD using a little more power at idle. Of course this is while AMD have a huge process node advantage over Intel.

Arrow lake will be the first time for many years where Intel and AMD will make CPU's on the same process - in theory this will allow Intel to push ahead of AMD, though I suspect the chiplet design will disappoint due to being such a new design for Intel. Zen5 will likely still be superior, though time will tell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom