• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel shots fired at AMD.

Soldato
Aren't INtel stillon 10nm with AMD on 5nm?

I don't think they should be throwing stones while living in a glass house.
Yeap, Zen4 uses TSMC 4nm which Intel are still stuck using 10nm. Performance of the flagships (14900k vs 7950x/7950x3d) is similar, though Intel has much higher load power consumption. Intel has lower idle power consumption though.

With the upcoming Arrow Lake, Intel is rumoured to be using TSMC 3nm for it's compute (CPU tiles), which would be the first time in years that Intel and AMD's architectures both have a level playing field. It'll be really interesting to see the benchmarks!

Associate
Yeap, Zen4 uses TSMC 4nm which Intel are still stuck using 10nm. Performance of the flagships (14900k vs 7950x/7950x3d) is similar, though Intel has much higher load power consumption. Intel has lower idle power consumption though.

With the upcoming Arrow Lake, Intel is rumoured to be using TSMC 3nm for it's compute (CPU tiles), which would be the first time in years that Intel and AMD's architectures both have a level playing field. It'll be really interesting to see the benchmarks!

I should know this as I have Zen 4 :)

I always had Intel for ages, but then went AMD and have:
2600x 5600x 5700x 7600 7800x3D

Also had a 3700x once.

Soldato
Yeh I always had Intel, especially as I used a hackintoshs for years. However now AMD 7000 series supports all the instructions needed in apps etc. so they work just as well. Just with way less power consumption. Probably wait for zen 5 before trying to switch over from 13900kf.

Soldato
All my PC's have used Intel CPU's since day 1, I stuck with them during the Pentium 4 days as well when they were getting tanned by AMD and Athlon. For me Intel was always a safe bet, you knew if you bought an Intel system everything will work and I generally didn't any issues with hardware not being compatible (except in the early days with IRQ channels :(, nightmare thank god for plug and play). That all changed with the release of Zen 2 though, can't see myself going to back to Intel anytime soon. Intel will have to become a lot more consumer friendly to get my pound notes (long term support for the platforms, genuinely new CPU designs with real performance increases, support for overclocking across all platforms and chips get rid of all this 'K' crap).

Soldato
Naming a product in a misleading way that makes the consumer believe it's a new product when it's a rebranded product from a previous generation / architecture is a bad anti-consumer practice. It should be called out, I think that it's a good thing that it is.

But all vendors are guilty of this. So it's a huge own goal by Intel.

see also "glued together" cores - then later doing the same thing themselves.

Back
Top Bottom