• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Permabanned
Why run it at 5Ghz with all threads enabled when it is simply not needed right now?

I only change my PC's every 4-5yrs, I don't want to rip out the motherboard & CPU in a few years time to upgrade, and buying a 9900K now means I won't have to do that because I know I have plenty of grunt left in reserve ready to be accessed when needed. It's just a waste of power running something at 100% capacity when not needed. As it is, the ONLY thing I'll need to upgrade during the lifetime of this PC, barring hardware failures, is my RTX 2080.

You are absolutely right in your decision to keep the CPU at more conservative and silicon-friendly settings.
Once you see CPU bottleneck, you can return back to the higher frequencies. But meanwhile, your CPU will be cool and safe, and this will elongate its life ;)

Caporegime
Why run it at 5Ghz with all threads enabled when it is simply not needed right now?

I only change my PC's every 4-5yrs, I don't want to rip out the motherboard & CPU in a few years time to upgrade, and buying a 9900K now means I won't have to do that because I know I have plenty of grunt left in reserve ready to be accessed when needed. It's just a waste of power running something at 100% capacity when not needed. As it is, the ONLY thing I'll need to upgrade during the lifetime of this PC, barring hardware failures, is my RTX 2080.

Maybe the wrong Forum? :D

Its a fair point :)

Permabanned
Maybe the wrong Forum?

There should be a purpose in the exercise, not just doings not-well-thought things for the sport.
Overclock the dual-core, the quad-core, the hexa-core which all need it because they are not quite fast enough.
And leave the top dogs in peace at least for some time.

Associate

You do have a fair point indeed but don't worry about running it up to 5 Ghz. Intel marketing uses this ability to sell them so I think it's pretty safe and I can't see the 9900K being pegged at 100% all the time.

Have fun with it.:D

Caporegime
i think prices for both amd and intel will come down. most people have enough for what they need. so everything is a hard sell and anyone can get the instant best price in seconds of checking.

Permabanned
i think prices for both amd and intel will come down. most people have enough for what they need. so everything is a hard sell and anyone can get the instant best price in seconds of checking.

I don't have enough for what I need. My Ryzen 5 2500U is garbage, it produces black screens all the time for 1-2 seconds, I guess when switching back and forth between the iGPU and the RX 560X, when playing videos, either YouTube, in Facebook, or etc.

Also, I observe annoying stuttering in CS: Source.

Caporegime
you may not many people do. remember most people just use basics which now can be done on most modern phones or cheap tablets. prices will come down for both intel and amd. memory might go up next month and also ssds. i guess we will see if the trade wars get sorted out.

Soldato
Which isn't surprising as Intel already have higher clock speeds than AMD and the IPC is close enough for clock speeds to put it ahead.

The Intel chip he is referring to is the Ice Lake 10nm i7 found inside the HP Spectre x360 laptop.
It matches the 3900x in single core. This i7 is a 15w part and only boosts to 3.8ghz.

That means Ice Lake IPC is well ahead of ZEN2.

The current best 14nm laptop chip, the i9 9980HK, which is 45w and boosts to 5ghz gets beaten handsomly by several hundred points in Geekbench single core by the 15w 3.8ghz Ice Lake i7.

If Intel was able to actually bring 5ghz desktop Ice Lake parts - we'd be laughing at Zen 2's performance as it would get demolished. As it stands, Ice Lake is a mobile only part and won't be making it's way to Desktop, Intel is going straight to 7nm for Desktop.

Associate
The Intel chip he is referring to is the Ice Lake 10nm i7 found inside the HP Spectre x360 laptop.
It matches the 3900x in single core. This i7 is a 15w part and only boosts to 3.8ghz.
That means Ice Lake IPC is well ahead of ZEN2.
The current best 14nm laptop chip, the i9 9980HK, which is 45w and boosts to 5ghz gets beaten handsomly by several hundred points in Geekbench single core by the 15w 3.8ghz Ice Lake i7.
Thanks, I can't keep up with Intel as it's almost as if they are drowning on dry land! ;)
There was no reference to what the test was so could it have been AVX based as Ice Lake has AVX512 I think?

Permabanned
Intel 9th Gen Core Processors Get Price Cuts, New Xeon W-2200 and 10th Gen X-Series CPUs Announced
https://wccftech.com/intel-9th-gen-cpu-price-cuts-10th-gen-x-series-xeon-w-2200-cpu-announcement/

Price-Cuts.jpg

Permabanned
Surely you must be deeply aggrieved by Intel pushing weak 6 and 8 core CPUs on the market that will all be obsolete soon?

That's only the generation that has been on the market already for months. It gets the price cuts.
It can be expectable from them given they are the ones promoting "quad-core is enough / more than enough".

Back
Top Bottom