1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by AthlonXP1800, Apr 19, 2017.

1. AthlonXP1800

Wise Guy

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170419PD207.html

Holy crap I was few weeks away from decision to to order 7700K CPU and Z270 motherboard until I read stunning news Intel accelerate Coffee Lake CPUs with up to 6 cores and new Z370 chipset to hit market in August so now I put it off for 6 core Coffee Lake CPU and Z370 motherboard, pointless to buy 7700K now. :)

2. d_brennen

Capodecina

Will the 6 core drop into the 7700K price range? I would have thought not

3. KompuKare

Gangster

How credible is digitimes as a source?
    Because their journalism seems rather poor:
    Yes, because a workstation 16 core X399 platform is just what you'd want for gaming. Lots of cores sitting idle while your max clock is lower than current Ryzen 7 and 5 on AM4.

And that pocket change has what relevance to Coffee Lake? Fabs cost $billions so such an amount is almost trivial.

No indication of prices or clock speeds. And if this is 14nm and LGA1151 again, why the need for yet another chipset?

EDIT: fixed the broken quotes and LGA1151 (had put LGA2011).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. AthlonXP1800

Wise Guy

Yes the source is very credible as Digitimes is based in Taiwan that explained their journalism lost in translation.

5. Simon Belmont

Mobster

+1

Will upgrade my z170 skylake for z370:D

6. Drollic

Wise Guy

This is the question together with clock speed on the 6 cores.

7. drunkenmaster

Caporegime

It wouldn't be surprising to see these brought foward, it's basically trivial, Coffeelake sounds like it's 14nm refined marginally again. I wouldn't be surprised if it's literally SKylake again with a light clock bump.

There is no 14nm +/++, every process gets not particularly close to it's theoretical best case sizing at first then iterates a couple times to get closer. IE 14nm is iirc 64nm metal pitch, in reality the first iteration is probably more like 72nm, then it will get tweaked and they'll reduce the design rules to 69nm, then they do it again and move to 64nm. It gets smaller, or stays same size with more spacing, less leakage and better clocks. Intel just decided to make a bigger deal and brand these tweaks/improvements because 10nm is taking ages and they want people to upgrade so they make it sound bigger/better.

Skylake started as a 122mm^2 chip, at 6 core skylake was possible from day one of Skylake being available, the cores take up only around 40% of the core, so adding 2 more cores would probably only make a hexcore around 140-145mm^2 range. That is trivial die size wise. How long have they been making the 250mm^2 Broadwell-e's.

Kabylake is a new Skylake stepping on the marginally tweaked process, Coffeelake might well just be Skylake with potentially another tweak or potentially not. We're talking about essentially new steppings and rebranded chips excluding a hexcore they've been holding back for 2 years because they wanted to milk profits on smaller chips. They could have made the hexcores 2+ years ago easily, so bringing it forwards 6 months is stupidly easy. In fact even if the so called 14nm '++' isn't ready they can just make a hexcore on 14nm '+', rebrand the lower two, add 100Mhz to the lower chips then in 6-12 months they can release a new bin of those chips with a new stepping.

The only interesting thing about it could be pricing. Somehow I just can't quite see Intel dropping in the hex at 7700k pricing, the 7700k at 7600k pricing, etc. Nor do I think they can do this without better prices. They are losing sales because of price/performance to AMD. I'm guessing the new chips will move down a half a price point then make the hexcore another £50-80 on top of current 7700k pricing.

8. =XDC=FluphyBunny

Mobster

As above. Plus its about ******* time Intel gave the consumer side market more than 4 core/8 thread. Its been a long time coming and lets face facts if its an early release its entirely down to competition from AMD (also a long time coming).

9. Simon Belmont

Mobster

Do you work for Intel? I thought so. So all above is incorrect until Intel coffeelake launches. Thanks for the fantasy info.

10. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

11. Simon Belmont

Mobster

12. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

The actual processors might be but the chipset doesn't seem that exciting.

13. Simon Belmont

Mobster

If it's not good then I'll skip

14. gavinh87

Mobster

Another CPU another chipset. When will they stop this crap.

15. KompuKare

Gangster

Be kind to them, they need something for old fabs to do to so creating pointless chipset and constantly changing sockets is that something. Otherwise where would they find the $billions to spend on such strategic mistakes as Atom contra-revenue, buying MaCfee, Larabee etc.?

16. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Lower prices would be good as well. The current pricing is disgraceful.

17. Journey

Mobster

Wonder how many people who moaned that you don't need more then 4c/8t will jump on this like a tramp on chips. :D

18. Simon Belmont

Mobster

:D:D:D

19. DarkHorizon472

Hitman

That's partly what made me get a 1700 rather than wait for Intel to do a minor update to already expensive CPU's etc.

20. X-Mikuru_Beam-X

Gangster

A six core coffeelake could be just the upgrade This haswell owner is looking for.. Here's hoping :)