• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Will no Longer Disclose Multi-Core Turbo Boost Frequencies

Soldato
Intel Will no Longer Disclose Multi-Core Turbo Boost Frequencies
kstar.gif
kstar.gif
kstar.gif

In yet another unexpected move Intel has made is clear that it will not be sharing any details anymore on the multi-core Turbo clock frequencies of their processors.

You might already have noticed it, Intel is only listing the highest Boost frequency, and not the rest. Here’s the thing, the recent generation processors basically have three main frequencies.

1. Base Baseclock
  2. Binned multi all-core clock turbo
  3. Single thread turbo
Intel from now on will only list the base and (1) and Single thread (3) turbo. As to why this is, remains uncertain, however many scenarios pop into mind. It might be a legal reason as they cannot guarantee the all core turbo on all processors.However, the longer I think about this, then an old routine kicks in .. what would be the most probable? Might it be that Intel likes that highest Turbo listed on their packaging a bit better for marketing and thus sales? I mean, it’s not unthinkable right? The guys from eteknix have a quote from Intel on this:

“[W]e’re no longer disclosing this level of detail as its proprietary to Intel. Intel only specifies processor frequencies for base and single-core Turbo in our processor marketing and technical collateral, such as ARK, and not the multi-core Turbo frequencies. We’re aligning communications to be consistent. All Turbo frequencies are opportunistic given their dependency on system configuration and workloads.”

So a Core i7 8700 is now being listed as a 4.7 GHz processor. But considering that is just one thread, it really runs 4.3 GHz on all six cores.

Marketing scam or what! Thoughts???

Caporegime
Only listing the base clock and single threaded clock is probably the best thing?
The whole multi core boost thing is inconsistent already. I don't agree with the marketing. But the whole boost clock makes no sense anyway.

Man of Honour
Pulling that info and/or not listing in in ARK seems really bad to me - one of the things Intel did well was ARK and was a positive when they responded to complaints about the formatting of it and reverted to the older style which was more usable.

Not so bothered on the marketing side as to most people that info isn't particularly meaningful but it would be disappointing to see them extend that to technical resources.

Caporegime
See. Reason I don't see the big deal with this is because of how flaky the multi core is in terms of boost. Is it more wrong to list something that isn't actually guaranteed? Again I see it as no different to the PD chips, they're advertised as base clock and their highest turbo

Associate
@Rroff Don't think they ever disclosed all core turbo on Ark, they only gave you the base frequency and max turbo.
They had this obscure article in their support section, but that's about it.

@beany_bot The stuff they us is actually pretty high quality Dow Corning polymer TIM, it's supposed to be optimized for long term stability rather than thermal conductivity though.

And I reckon this move is due to motherboard makers setting all core turbo as the base CPU frequency by default (ex: ASUS with their multicore enhancement) and causing the CPUs to run out of spec and cause inconsistencies in reviews.

Soldato
OP
I see it as a bit of marketing spin to make it sound superior (bigger numbers must mean better) to the average Joe buying a cpu.

We, on here, know the difference and use hardware and software to test and play with clock speeds but most users will think that a 6 core cpu advertised at 4.7....will run full pelt on all cores at 4.7

Associate
yes multo core speed cannot be gtd so they would have to show the lowest speed rather than say an average speed, so to not fall foul of any regs they will simply omit the spec.
And maybe they cannot get good MC speeds unless some serious cooling is being used... :shrug:

Associate
@subbytna Literally this changes nothing when it comes to how they've been advertising their CPUs for close to a decade now, not to mention AMD does the same, they don't advertise multi-core turbo, just the base frequency and maximum turbo.

Soldato
OP
I'm just a bit suspicious of INTEL and when I read stuff like this then I think of an ulterior motive behind it. My thinking, right or wrongly, was that it appears to be more a marketing tweak to make the CPU sound fast, to the average buyer

Soldato
Probably to make the chips look better against Ryzen. You can no longer say Ryzen beats Intel with 1 Ghz less clock speed.

Soldato
So the performance will depend on the quality of the bin. Welcome back to buying CPUs based on batch codes. Might be some really big differences in performance. Well for the top end K parts at least.

Associate
@jigger Depends on what you mean by best, they most likely use the chips with low leakage characteristics to make their mobile SKUs, and the high leakage ones go to the K parts since those will reach higher frequencies.

Back
Top Bottom