• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Will no Longer Disclose Multi-Core Turbo Boost Frequencies

Soldato
OP
Yeah, but how many K CPU's have you seen that cannot overclock to at least the single core boost speed?

That's relevant to us who are tech heads and know what's what. My point is that to the average joe on the street, he thinks he's getting a monster chip (4.7 speeds) when in fact only one core will hit that and the rest of the chip, at stock won't get even close to that. Almost, to me anyway, it seems like a sales tactic to make it sound better than what it really is.

Caporegime
That's relevant to us who are tech heads and know what's what. My point is that to the average joe on the street, he thinks he's getting a monster chip (4.7 speeds) when in fact only one core will hit that and the rest of the chip, at stock won't get even close to that. Almost, to me anyway, it seems like a sales tactic to make it sound better than what it really is.

But this isn't a new thing. This was Piledrivers advertising too.

Associate
@subbytna that's how Intel's Turbo has worked so far, it's the same for AMD too, you'll never get that max turbo on all cores. I don't get how this is something new to the "tech heads" on this forum.

Soldato

"All Turbo frequencies are opportunistic given their dependency on system configuration and workloads.”

That could be taken a lot of ways.

Soldato

How do you feel about nvidia boost 3.0?

Associate
"All Turbo frequencies are opportunistic given their dependency on system configuration and workloads.”

That could be taken a lot of ways.

No, it's pretty clear cut given how their Turbo works.
Turbo is opportunistic in that your maximum Turbo frequencies are limited by several factors: power, temperature and TDP limits.

System configuration is related mostly to the temperature limit in case you don't have adequate cooling, while workloads like ones with AVX support (some video encoding for example) will reach the power/TDP limits.

Soldato
GPU boosting is worse,as it tends to be non-deterministic in the case of Nvidia at the upper range and for AMD in the lower range AFAIK. At least CPUs have a fixed range.

Unless its hard limited to power a envolope. Fingers crossed Intel's next step to move the master race isnt a hard power limit.

Back
Top Bottom