• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Will no Longer Disclose Multi-Core Turbo Boost Frequencies

Soldato
OP
I don't find it as strange as he does that the i5-8400 has such a low base clock speed, considering its lower TDP target. It'll be interesting to see what does actually happen when pairing these CPUs with the non-Z chipsets, i.e. whether they will still mostly run at 3.8 GHz all cores or not.

That's a good point, these were tested in high end Z motherboards, when the more budget boards are out, then the cpu might not get up to speeds they did on the Z boards.

Soldato
So it seems Intel are going ahead with the change to the spec of Coffee lake. Was hoping the push back might have made them reconsider.

Soldato
Just checking that i have this right. Previously if all condition where met you would get to the all core turbo intel stated with any retail CPU.
But now even if the condition are all good, you may not get the max boost due to silicon lottery.

Have i missed any other details?

Associate
Just checking that i have this right. Previously if all condition where met you would get to the all core turbo intel stated with any retail CPU.
But now even if the condition are all good, you may not get the max boost due to silicon lottery.

Have i missed any other details?
The silicon lottery part is the speculation, with no evidence for it yet. We shall see when budget boards release.

However, there is no precedent for locked Intel processors being unable to reach expected speeds on budget boards. The bit I'm confused about is, there is speculation that CPUs like the i5-8400 will regularly become lowly 'binned' so that they can't reach the expected 6 core boost speed of 3.8ghz due to power delivery issues on budget boards. But surely that would be an issue that should be taken up with the motherboard manufacturers and not Intel? I know that Intel overlooks the spec of the motherboards, but as we've seen from the MCE debacle on Asus boards, oversight isn't that close.

Anyway, we can all speculate as much as we want but until evidence emerges we won't know the truth.

Last edited:
Associate
It's all just speculation at this point, but the fact of the matter is that Intel never guaranteed any Turbo clocks, don't think any CPU/GPU vendor does. The TDP rating applies only for the base clock, reason why parts like the i5 8400 have such a low base clock.

Back
Top Bottom