Interesting historical facts

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Inspired by the below image, I thought OcUK would be a gold mine considering it has an older demographic.

3cwOlRo.jpg

I know little about history, but the one that's stayed with me is:

A few centuries back, dental hygiene expertise were to remove all teeth and replace with dentures. This used to be given to brides of wealthy families on their wedding days.

Soldato
Until very recently, most of the Purple Hearts awarded by the USA to service personnel killed or wounded in combat since 1945, came from a stock of 500,000 manufactured specifically for the US casualties expected during the planned invasion of the Japanese home islands (Operation Olympic).

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
IIRC UK bees were wiped out during the war, so our population were rejuvenated with crossbred Mexican bees.

Commissario
Until very recently, most of the Purple Hearts awarded by the USA to service personnel killed or wounded in combat since 1945, came from a stock of 500,000 manufactured specifically for the US casualties expected during the planned invasion of the Japanese home islands (Operation Olympic).
I got a purple heart medal in BF2 :)

Associate
Inspired by the below image, I thought OcUK would be a gold mine considering it has an older demographic.

I know little about history, but the one that's stayed with me is:

A few centuries back, dental hygiene expertise were to remove all teeth and replace with dentures. This used to be given to brides of wealthy families on their wedding days.

Did you learn that at Beamish?

Caporegime
Phalaris, the tyrant of Akragas, was a guy known for his cruelty and enjoyment of torturing prisoners. So when Perillos of Athens was tasked with creating a new torture device to execute said prisoners, he got to work on what became known as the Brazen Bull. A huge hollow bull made of bronze, in which a prisoner is placed and a fire is lit underneath, causing them a slow and utterly agonising death.

Upon showing the creation to Phalaris and describing how "melodious" the screams of its victims would be, it is said Phalaris was so disgusted he ordered Parillos to try it out first. However, just before he died, Phalaris freed him... Only to drag him up a hill and throw him to his death. :o

Phalaris himself was apparently executed using the bull some time later.

KWynhPP.jpg.png

Caporegime
Hate to be that guy, but...

3cwOlRo.jpg

As you'd expect from literally everything on Tumblr, both of these claims are false.

Viking women were in charge of managing the household, but they were not solely responsible for finance, and the Vikings did not believe that mathematics was witchcraft.

The story about Vlad the Impaler is nonsense.

Phalaris, the tyrant of Akragas, was a guy known for his cruelty and enjoyment of torturing prisoners. So when Perillos of Athens was tasked with creating a new torture device to execute said prisoners, he got to work on what became known as the Brazen Bull.

There is no objective, verifiable evidence that this device ever existed. No archaeologist has ever found one, and the only accounts of its history and use are widely regarded as apocryphal.

Back
Top Bottom