Interesting historical facts

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
http://www.beamish.org.uk/

Big open air museum with actors and the like, mostly based around the 1800's to early 1900's I think, although I believe they've expanded since I was last there.

It's about ten minutes away from where I live, great day out if you're in the area.
Ah, no but I vaguely remember going to something similar during school - but think that was in the black country somewhere.

Hate to be that guy, but...

As you'd expect from literally everything on Tumblr, both of these claims are false.
Haha I'm glad you're that guy :)

you calling us all old?
puDZ0bW.gif
If not I'm sure you could tell me who is in the gif :p

Caporegime
The builders and owners of the Titanic never actually claimed the ship was unsinkable, it was claimed to be “practically unsinkable” by a trade publication - The Shipbuilder - the media picked up on this and omitted the practically bit, much as they still embellish stories to this day.

Man of Honour
All Victoria Cross medals are made from metal from a captured cannon. This is thought to be a Russian cannon although some believe it was Chinese.

Caporegime
The builders and owners of the Titanic never actually claimed the ship was unsinkable, it was claimed to be “practically unsinkable” by a trade publication - The Shipbuilder - the media picked up on this and omitted the practically bit, much as they still embellish stories to this day.

The shipbuilder responsible for overseeing the design of the Titanic (Thomas Andrews) had made two vital recommendations that were not implemented:

* 46 lifeboats (Titanic ended up with just 20)
* a double hull with watertight bulkheads up to B deck (rejected)

The first of these would have saved many more lives; the second would have ensured the ship did not sink at all.

Andrews was on board when Titanic struck the iceberg. He assessed the damage, and immediately informed the captain that the ship would sink within 1 hour.

He spent the rest of his time warning passengers and instructing them to put on lifebelts and make their way to the top deck.

Andrews drowned while attempting to escape the ship during its final moments.

Caporegime
The shipbuilder responsible for overseeing the design of the Titanic (Thomas Andrews) had made two vital recommendations that were not implemented:

* 46 lifeboats (Titanic ended up with just 20)
* a double hull with watertight bulkheads up to B deck (rejected)

The first of these would have saved many more lives; the second would have ensured the ship did not sink at all.

Actually, it was Alexander Carlisle who was responsible for the number of lifeboats on the Titanic during its design and construction phase, he retired in June 1910 and his place was taken by Thomas Andrews.

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/carlisle-retirement-separating-fact-from-fiction.html

Caporegime
Caporegime
Thanks, nice catch. Wikipedia says Andrews is the one who recommended 46 lifeboats instead of 20.
Golden rule of researching things, Wikipedia is full of entries often made by people who don’t really know their subject, and the Titanic disaster is one such subject where infamy - and numerous films and books - over the years has very much blurred the line between perception and reality.

(I’ve been an amateur Titanic historian for over 30 years now :o )

Caporegime
Thanks, nice catch. Wikipedia says Andrews is the one who recommended 46 lifeboats instead of 20.
Again, that was initially Carlisle who recommended 46 boats (and included the davits capable of carrying them) but Andrews went along with his uncle’s (Pirrie) preference for fewer, a view not helped by Bruce Ismay (The White Star Lines Chairman) opinion that lifeboats would clutter up the boat deck.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
30c4d2a9df5153fa969e9a869c9c6958.jpg

Associate
Is that a BMW fetish site? Sign me up
www.beamish.org.uk

Beamish Museum is an open-air museum located at Beamish, near the town of Stanley, in County Durham, England. The museum's guiding principle is to preserve an example of everyday life in urban and rural North East England at the climax of industrialisation in the early 20th century.

Soldato
The British Empire ended modern slavery.

A large (significantly large) Royal Navy squadron was stationed for decades off the coast of Africa and intercepted a huge number of slaves en route across the Atlantic Ocean. The slaves were set free and the slaving ships were confiscated or sunk. At its height, the squadron represented an entire sixth of the Navy's power (at that time the largest military force on the planet). Meanwhile, the government used political and economic means to force European nations to outlaw slavery too. You hear constantly about how evil the British and the Empire was yet the many good facets are conveniently forgotten.

Man of Honour
The British Empire ended modern slavery.

Mostly true, but it wasn't only the British Empire for the whole time. Modern slavery only officially ended in the 1960s - the Islamic slave trade was far longer lasting and far larger in scale than the Atlantic slave trade, but we're not supposed to talk about that because Islam has an extremely high status and vast amounts of power.

A large (significantly large) Royal Navy squadron was stationed for decades off the coast of Africa and intercepted a huge number of slaves en route across the Atlantic Ocean. The slaves were set free and the slaving ships were confiscated or sunk. At its height, the squadron represented an entire sixth of the Navy's power (at that time the largest military force on the planet). Meanwhile, the government used political and economic means to force European nations to outlaw slavery too. You hear constantly about how evil the British and the Empire was yet the many good facets are conveniently forgotten.

Which is why the capital of Sierra Leone is called Freetown I believe.

It is. Returning the rescued people to where they were taken from was both impossible and a bad idea, since they'd been enslaved from there and would be enslaved again if they went back. Some somewhere new was required and the British empire built Freetown as a new home for rescued ex-slaves.

It wasn't perfect(*), so even that won't be good enough for a racist and/or nationalist scum who seek power by villifying everyone who is "white" and/or British. Despite the fact that Britain even went as far as fighting a full on war against slavery, a literal war in which many Britons died.

* The legal basis for the British Empire claiming the land is dubious and the scale of the atlantic slave trade was seriously underestimated so Freetown wasn't big enough quickly enough.

Back
Top Bottom