Interesting historical facts

Man of Honour
I’ve a good story here. Was told this a few weeks ago by the son. Over the years it may have been embellished but I thought it worthy of inclusion.

This man’s father was a Royal Navy signalman during WWII. He was one of 12 men (British and American) tasked with landing on the D-Day beaches just prior to the invasion to guide the troops in to what were deemed safe channels.

During the early hours of June 5th these 12 were landed on their respective beaches. This man was given Omaha beach and was instructed to get ashore and prepare his signals.

He got ashore undetected, with two signal boxes. He was unarmed. He found a location he deemed safe to sit and wait for the first wave. He was under the impression the first wave would be landing imminently, so he began setting his signals and waving the boxes around. He waved his signals for 3 hours.

Unbeknownst to him the invasion had been postponed until June 6th due to adverse weather conditions.

There he was, unarmed, on the most dangerous beach of the invasion waving two light boxes around. Alone. He literally stood out like a beacon!

It was with great fortuity that the french resistance saw this man and rescued him. He said they moved him to a safe house overnight and on June 6th he returned having to repeat the whole process again.

This time his signals were spotted by the first wave and his job was done. He was fortunate enough to survive and escape Omaha. Of course the rest is history.

He was the lucky one. Out of the 12 signalmen landed on June 5th he was the only survivor.

Man of Honour
Surprised the Germans didn’t hear his massive balls of steel clanging away during said light box swinging!

I know! What a story eh. There must be be many others like this, and some you just never get to hear about, which is such a shame. I'm writing a book about a number of Battle of Britain pilots whom were interviewed in the 1980s and 90s, and some of the unpublished stories I have are simply unbelievable. It dawned on me after I was speaking to this guy, that he was only there because his dad survived, and that really makes you think.

Soldato
Oooof, just a tad ;) the south indian one with the elephants is more my style :) can't justify 6 bills whilst on the dole though :D

We are warriors so makes sense.

How do you decide the value? Material + age + uniqueness?

My prices are usually based on previous examples sold by dealers. So, if the going dealers' rate for a silver koftgari tulwar with a skela blade, for example, is £800 I will sell it for £500 to £600 or so. It's not an exact science and I like a quick sale so people often barter and even do part-payment. Sorry for this going off the thread topic! The South Indian one is great. I had to clean each of those holes by hand, though...

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
The South Indian one is great. I had to clean each of those holes by hand, though...
From what I know I'd sooth Indians... she loved it :p

I will purchase from you at some point in time I am sure, wil be watching your Insta more closlier

Soldato
From what I know I'd sooth Indians... she loved it :p

I will purchase from you at some point in time I am sure, wil be watching your Insta more closlier

Very kind of you! (Mention OcUK if you ever do and I'll happily give you a hefty discount.)

Back
Top Bottom